8/10 weather

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Usually, we have threads for days in anticipation of a storm that may not even come. This thread wasn't started until after 11am (after the storm had already hit).

that’s usually more winter storms. Every once in a while they’ll predict that there might be a tornado outbreak but I believe summer storms are a lot harder to nail down.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
I would sleep with cows in a shallow farm pond before going to my inlaws.

In all seriousness, i hope things get moving quickly for y’all over there. Heard it’s a mess in M-town.

Same. Went to inlaws for dinner and they offered to put us up for the night. Nope! Thanks but I'd rather sleep in my 80 degree house without power.

As of this morning, we still do not have power on the southside. Although it looks like power is now just a block away. So close!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
After this storm, I’ve concluded people need to stop planting silver maples. Man those trees suck.

Truth. Garbage tree for street or residential yards. And some of the popular hybrid silver/red varieties aren't much better.

So, of course, there is a yuge silver maple on my property line. :rolleyes: Was here for decades before I bought this place.

Reactions: aauummm and awd4cy

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
no power and hear that Linn County REC is asking for help from the Pacific NW - they won't be here for 3 days.

This may be a long wait.

How did society make it before electricity?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
We were in the process of getting a hotel room last night, when the power came back on. Like, had given them our credit card for the reservation and everything. Fortunately, the room that we were booking had been reserved by someone else while we were on the phone, and so we were lucky, and didn't have to spend $170.

Reactions: aauummm

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
We were in the process of getting a hotel room last night, when the power came back on. Like, had given them our credit card for the reservation and everything. Fortunately, the room that we were booking had been reserved by someone else while we were on the phone, and so we were lucky, and didn't have to spend $170.

Ugh. We are approaching that limit as well. My cut-off time was established at 6pm tonight. If power is not on by then, we may have to go somewhere. Thankfully we have options (including a friend who is currently traveling and offered their home) but hesitate to move the cat. She can be an *******.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
This was just a situation where the weather models didn't really pick up on the threat until 12 hours or less before the storms. And nobody thought it would be as bad as it was.

• Agree

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Coming on 48 hours in my neighborhood. All you hear is chainsaws and generators.
Same.
I am hearing that there has been power restored in NE CR and a few spots downtown. Yesterday was spent fixing my roof, fixing a friend’s roof, and moving trees out of my neighbor’s back yard. He lost every single fruit tree.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This was just a situation where the weather models didn't really pick up on the threat until 12 hours or less before the storms. And nobody thought it would be as bad as it was.

Derechos seem so infrequent I doubt that many scientists are studying them much compared to tornadoes. They’ve got tornadoes pretty locked down but they probably don’t have much data when it comes to which systems will cause a derecho. maybe @wxman1 or @FDWxMan can correct me if I’m wrong there.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
C1ADF883-BF43-4230-A4B3-664366C367B5.jpeg
Here is one photo of my parent’s farm. There are supposed to be two more bins in between, but those are now gone. The only reason the taller one is still there is because it still has some grain in it.

• Wow

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Odd, we now have power, and we live on a four house lane. The expectation was we would be waaaay down the list. Service in Johnson Co, from Linn Co. Co-op. Which means we have water now too.

I suspect that because one line was down (no poles), it was an easy fix (took them 2 hours on site) and knocked it out.

We just filled the RV up with fuel this AM in North Liberty (that is a story)... as we had the generator from that powering the house.