5 Kickers, 5 Punters

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
It may not be the only reason they've gotten burned, but it's extremely important. If any reasonable high major DI quarterback has all day to throw it (and knows that he will), they will pick any secondary apart.

Separation between corner and receiver are usually made at first contact. While a qb having more time to throw the ball will allow for more distance, its not going to create the initial separation. I'm pretty confident though that after a year in Wally's defense, our corners will be much improved. I feel the same about the entire team as a whole to be honest.

Thank the Chizzinator for that.

Guyer kicked off 3 times as a freshman in 2008. He didn't play in 2009, so they could theoretically call that a redshirt year if all parties agreed to it.

I wouldnt necessarily blame him for that. I think that it was a good move to bring in two kickers when you have none on roster. If one didnt turn out right, you would have the other. I think in ISU's case, they got two fairly decent kickers. I think Zach getting in those few times his first year were for Chiz to see if he could perform at game time.

It was Rhoads decision not to play or redshirt Zach last year. I give a lot of credit to Zach though. He pushes Mahoney in everything and while he may still be behind him this year, he has honored his scholarship and is a Cyclone for life. I am confident that if he truly wanted to, he could play at another D1 school. I'm pretty happy ISU has two decent kickers.

Last edited:

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
Mahoney is alright but had major issues with consistency. Culbertson led the team in scoring but that doesn't mean everyone wants him back.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
:skeptical:

I cant quite get my head around this one. The corners getting burned has more to do with the d-line not getting pressure?...The defensive line has nothing to do with how fast a receiver is or how a corner covers him. It is the corners responsibility to cover the receiver. LJ is a great hitter and a decent coverage guy. Go back and watch film and count how many long touchdowns were given up by LJ. I guarantee that when he "rededicated himself", he took some time to work on becoming a better coverage player. I would not be surprised to see his coverage improve ten fold this season.

As for giving examples of just the past two years, I was just giving something that had some sort of relevancy to this coming season and last season.

You can go back and watch last year, if any thing it was KB giving up longer players most of the time then LJ, feel free. D-line is very important to the success of the d-backs... if you dont realize that, then you either, never have played football, or are just an idiot.

LEBRON23

Jun 11, 2010
Kennard Banks maybe, but LJ not so much. And the corners getting burned has a lot more to do with the Dline not getting pressure. Mahoney still worries me though. And the original poster you quoted, was talking about more then the last two years, but good job on that one.

check the mizzou game. just one game that instantly came to mind.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
we will probably have a non shollie player do the punting. let's hope he can run,pass and punt. we need some razzle dazzle plays on our punting team to win some ball games. i had a kid on rhoads 'desk that averaged 43 yards per punt and he had kicked 6 field goals from over 50 yards and two of them 59 yards out his senior year -we lost him to west texas at canyon,texas.
You know who else was put on the desk of Iowa State in 2006 but they decided he wasn't worth a look? Some guy named Alex Henry.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
quick reminder to keep things respectful. Calling Iowa State players "pathetic" in any capacity is not allowed on CF.

Last edited:

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
? Mahoney has been the top scorer the past two seasons despite a down season last year and Brandtner is arguably the best punter ISU has ever had. You want to talk about a weak link, maybe try looking towards the corners who were burned in every single game last season.

Weakest link? No. Easiest to single out? Yes.
Mahoney is not as good of a kicker as people give him credit for. Last season he missed more attempts from the 40-49 range than he did from beyond 50, and missed as many from the 30-39 range as he did from beyond 50. An missing 4 extra points is extremely inexcusable. Mahoney being the top scorer isn't saying much when A-Rob needed just 2 more touchdowns to pass him.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
GM is the best kicker ISU has had in a while. The guy has a huge leg. He just needs to improve on consistency. Considering he is only a Junior, he can only get better and should have 2 great seasons. I actually have confidence when he comes on the field.

I hope Guyer decides to take that red-shirt and stay for a 5th year too. It would be a shame for ISU to get nothing out of that scholarship, but I certainly wouldn't blame him for not doing it.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Dont try and change his mind...he knows what he is talking about. It was probably KB that gave up the game winning touch down in the K State game.

GM is the best kicker ISU has had in a while. The guy has a huge leg. He just needs to improve on consistency. Considering he is only a Junior, he can only get better and should have 2 great seasons. I actually have confidence when he comes on the field.

I hope Guyer decides to take that red-shirt and stay for a 5th year too. It would be a shame for ISU to get nothing out of that scholarship, but I certainly wouldn't blame him for not doing it.

Well when your considering our last few kickers, its pretty damn easy to say that.. Its pretty mind boggling that he misses XP's though.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Mahoney is not as good of a kicker as people give him credit for. Last season he missed more attempts from the 40-49 range than he did from beyond 50, and missed as many from the 30-39 range as he did from beyond 50. An missing 4 extra points is extremely inexcusable. Mahoney being the top scorer isn't saying much when A-Rob needed just 2 more touchdowns to pass him.

He may not be an all star, but I think you can make a lot of things out of those stats. First of all, 3 of 5 from 50+ is nothing to scoff at. As far as XP's go, who do you hang the blocked kicks on? At least one of those (Suh) should be on the entire kick team and another should be on the officials who failed to call a defender using his teammate to gain elevation and block the kick. That was a good kick that was blocked using an illegal move.

Yes, he could improve his consistency, but it also takes 11 players for a successful kicking game.

Reactions: Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Well when your considering our last few kickers, its pretty damn easy to say that.. Its pretty mind boggling that he misses XP's though.

I think you've gotten your point across that no matter what is said, you are not a fan of Iowa States current kicker and you will not rest at anything until everyone realizes it. Every single member of the team has screwed up at some point on the field. Every single member of the team has had a streak of bad luck. Every single player on the team has room for improvement. We can only hope that everyone has put in the necessary effort and work in the offseason to improve this upcoming season.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I think you've gotten your point across that no matter what is said, you are not a fan of Iowa States current kicker and you will not rest at anything until everyone realizes it. Every single member of the team has screwed up at some point on the field. Every single member of the team has had a streak of bad luck. Every single player on the team has room for improvement. We can only hope that everyone has put in the necessary effort and work in the offseason to improve this upcoming season.

I actually like Mahoney, I just dont understand how he can not get enough air on XP's, as a freshman thats one thing, but as a sophomore, thats not something that should happen. Its not like I dont want to see him do well. I would love to see him be consistance for once. Which I think he has potential for that, but Its just missing still. So its disappointing. But keep assuming, it makes it much easier for you.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Well you see my assumptions come due to examples like such:

I actually like MahoneY

Followed by
I just dont understand how he can not get enough air on XP's

Which I think he has potential for that, but Its just missing still.

When it clearly is not true. As stated, K State was illegally blocked. Nebraska...I'll give you that, because I dont think I would even kick the ball if Suh walked through the line like he did. The rest, were completely high enough...just not through the uprights where they belong. Whether that was mental, "over coaching" or something to do with technique, I'll leave that for you to decide. Bottom line is, he seemed to get his head straight the second half of the season and my guess would be that after last season, like Leonard Johnson, he would dedicate his off season to bettering himself to help the team win.

There is no question that Mahoney has room for improvement after last season. No one has said otherwise. You just seem to enjoy beating that dead horse. I dont think that there is ever any need to put down a player of a team that you are a fan of, especially a team that many fans, like yourself, on this site are so passionate about.

With that, I'm done with this.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I hope this year we don't have to get nervous on extra points..granted one of those he missed at ku, I'm pretty sure the wind was very strong, but he needs to be 100% on EPs this year

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You know who else was put on the desk of Iowa State in 2006 but they decided he wasn't worth a look? Some guy named Alex Henry.

Alex Henery walked on at Nebraska. Would he have come to ISU if offered a schollie?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Well you see my assumptions come due to examples like such:

Followed by

When it clearly is not true. As stated, K State was illegally blocked. Nebraska...I'll give you that, because I dont think I would even kick the ball if Suh walked through the line like he did. The rest, were completely high enough...just not through the uprights where they belong. Whether that was mental, "over coaching" or something to do with technique, I'll leave that for you to decide. Bottom line is, he seemed to get his head straight the second half of the season and my guess would be that after last season, like Leonard Johnson, he would dedicate his off season to bettering himself to help the team win.

There is no question that Mahoney has room for improvement after last season. No one has said otherwise. You just seem to enjoy beating that dead horse. I dont think that there is ever any need to put down a player of a team that you are a fan of, especially a team that many fans, like yourself, on this site are so passionate about.

With that, I'm done with this.

How am i putting down Mahoney, when I didnt say anything that you're basically agreeing with? And weren't you somewhat putting down LJ in another thread... Ya thought so...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron