3-4 Defense front next year

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
LOL.

Woody isn't going anywhere. We haven't had a good short yardage back since '06.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Our LB depth is better than DL personnel Woody could be good LB

It's not that easy to just switch to a 3-4. To do it effectively, you need to have the right players, and we really don't. Our Defensive ends and outside linebackers are not suited to play a 3-4 very effectively. Not big enough. A good 3-4 has big, run stuffing D-ends, and bigger, pass rushing outside linebackers. Our players just don't fit that scheme.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
And A-Rob "disappeared" after some early season fumbles in 2007, later had a great game @ Mizzou that year. He turned out okay.

Woody stays at RB.

And what we ran against Mizzou wasn't a 3-4. It was a 3-2-6 I believe.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Linebacker depth isn't going to be THAT good--just good enough to finally be sufficient for a 4-3. And once recruiting is over, I think that you will see the DL as better than you expect. :biggrin:

CyBelieve

Aug 5, 2006
Ankeny
Plus to run a 3-4 you need to have 3 hogs in the trench. I don't see that with our group. LB deptth will get better next year and they next should be strong (assuming they pan out).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's not that easy to just switch to a 3-4. To do it effectively, you need to have the right players, and we really don't. Our Defensive ends and outside linebackers are not suited to play a 3-4 very effectively. Not big enough. A good 3-4 has big, run stuffing D-ends, and bigger, pass rushing outside linebackers. Our players just don't fit that scheme.

Janny is right. In order to be successful in the 3-4 your outside linebackers better have the size and strength of a DE as well as the speed and agility to occasionally drop back in coverage. ISU historically (and currently) has undersized LB's that are more suited to a 4-3 scheme.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006

Agree with all of this plus a few more reasons not to try a switch in alignment. To play an effective 3-4, you need a dominant 2-gap nose to anchor the line. You should be at least 2 deep at this position and the current team probably doesn't have a single player who fits this profile. Another factor is that both WB and PR have proven that they can coach successful 4-3 defenses throughout their entire careers. It makes no sense to take them out of their element especially when the majority of high school defenses that they recruit talent from also plays a 4-3 style defense. Fortunately, the staff will continue to build on what they are doing and won't give a second thought to messing up the best thing that the team has going for it.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
3-4 DEs are tall DTs in the 4-3 and we don't have anyone big enough to play NT. I agree about the LB's.. Knott and Klien in the middle, and lattimer at OLB. Not sure who the other one would be, but they are typically small 4-3 DEs.

All in all, not happening. Don't have the line to pull it off, and that is by far the most important part.

Last edited:

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Agree with all of this plus a few more reasons not to try a switch in alignment. To play an effective 3-4, you need a dominant 2-gap nose to anchor the line. You should be at least 2 deep at this position and the current team probably doesn't have a single player who fits this profile....
Spot on

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Our LB depth is better than DL personnel Woody could be good LB
It it not about depth it is about quality. The fewer players you have on the field at a certain position the better those players have to be. Maybe we should play a 5-2.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
First off, we didn't really play a 3-4 persay against Mizzou, we played a Nickel with one of the ends dropping back into pass coverage against the snap, making it resemble more of a 3-3-5. Second, the reason why we "stuffed" the run against Mizzou with the 3-3 is because Mizzou hasn't been effective running the ball all season, something EVERYBODY knew going into the game anyway. Third, dropping 8 back into a pass coverage zone is how you keep Mizzou's spread passing in check - it causes confusion with the Mizzou QB as he can't decipher what's going on downfield, forcing him to dump the ball for shorter gains.

There is a reason why we used this against Mizzou - because Mizzou is susceptible to it. Mizzou can't run the ball and it helps limit their downfield passing game. If we were to try running a 3-3 Nickel against a team capable of running the ball, for instance, Nebraska or Iowa, our defense would get gashed for 5-10 yards a play MINIMUM because our front 7 has enough problems stopping a power run game in the 4-3 formation. They would be MURDERED in a 3-4. Perhaps it's a formation we can work towards 4-5 years from now by recruiting for it, but running a 3-4 set as our base defense starting next year wold be a BAD IDEA, especially if we want any hope of making a bowl next year.

But I just love how, if a particular defense worked against a particular team, all of a sudden we should run it all the time without pausing a moment to think about why that formation worked against that particular team...

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
We may actually have some decent DE's next year. Hopefully Lattimer can keep progressing. Maggitt had some flashes this year. And and CPR and Wally have been talking up Nelson.

Plus, I wouldn't mess with our LB situation too much. Knott and Klein are clearly the strength of our defense, and we should use them in the best way possible. It sure seems like they are comfortable in the 4-3.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
But just for fun this would be my guess.

Nelson/Maggit--Knott---Klien---Lattimer/Neal
------Lang/Jenson---Rump/Woods/Black---McDonough

Our DL would have to bulk up... especially at NT... you just need a big run stuffer who eats up multiple blockers... and our OLB's would need to work on quickness and be able to drop back in coverage at times...

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Theres no way in hell we would turn to a 3-4. As said before the front three guys have to be run-stuffers and quite frankly we dont have many of those if not one. Secondly we are thin as it is at LB. I could see putting Rosie and Lattimer at LB but I just dont see it happening.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Theres no way in hell we would turn to a 3-4. As said before the front three guys have to be run-stuffers and quite frankly we dont have many of those if not one. Secondly we are thin as it is at LB. I could see putting Rosie and Lattimer at LB but I just dont see it happening.

Actually you would need more linemen than LB's since in the 3-4 your OLB's are typically 4-3 DE's.. but we don't exactly have the Linemen either.

Reactions: CloneFan4

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If someone really balloons up and we have a legit NT then we could pull it off... but unless Wally has some experience with it I'd assume just stick with what he does best.