2019-2020 NFL coaching carousel

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Dolphins just hired Chan Gailey as their OC.

He hasn't coached since 2016.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Jones and Garrett is a closer business relationship than most realize. I’m not a Jerry Jones fan but the idea that he’s dragging this out for media exposure is idiotic. He’s looking for a legitimate way to keep his golden child because he doesn’t want to admit he spent this long on a failure that is 100% his fault.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
On ESPN bottom line they scrolled that Cleveland plans on hiring a coach then a GM. That's why Cleveland fails.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Riley is perfect for Jerry, its funny hearing all the talking heads trying to find the best coach for the job. Jerry no longer wants that, he wants a puppet that he can control. The only way a decent NFL coach should even sniff that job is if they fire their GM.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
On ESPN bottom line they scrolled that Cleveland plans on hiring a coach then a GM. That's why Cleveland fails.

Why is that bad? Imo I think it's good to have a coach help pick a GM in order to get players that will fit the coaches system/preferences. It seems way to often that the GM has a different philosophy than the coach and goes out and gets players that don't fit the coaches philosophy.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Why is that bad? Imo I think it's good to have a coach help pick a GM in order to get players that will fit the coaches system/preferences. It seems way to often that the GM has a different philosophy than the coach and goes out and gets players that don't fit the coaches philosophy.
I'm no expert but I would expect a GM to hire a coach that has the same philosophy that he has so they can work together to build a team. Not the other way around.
I guess in the end if they both are seeing eye to eye it doesn't matter.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm no expert but I would expect a GM to hire a coach that has the same philosophy that he has so they can work together to build a team. Not the other way around.
I guess in the end if they both are seeing eye to eye it doesn't matter.

I would guess part of it is a control thing, too. Whoever gets hired first is probably going to have more pull in the organization, which maybe limits the pool of GM candidates who would be interested in the job. A qualified candidate might not be interested in essentially being the caddie for a coach. What muddies the waters in Cleveland even more is that it's unclear how much influence Paul DePodesta still has in the organization.

I've always felt that in most cases if an NFL owner feels the need to make a change then they should clean house and completely start over with a new front office and coaching staff. It drives me nuts when an owner fires a GM and retains the coach or vice versa. Either way one guy is getting saddled with someone they didn't hire or choose to work with. I think that's where the Browns are now. Clear out everyone in the front office, hire one person to be in charge of operations, and get out of that person's way.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I would say the employee hiring the boss probably isn’t an ideal situation for a business.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Sure. Ultimately all employees are employees of the CEO, but it doesn’t mean I want one of my checkers hiring the store manager.

You hear all the time that the GM is bringing in players that don't fit what the coach wants. I just think it's a good idea to make sure the GM and coach are on the same page.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever