NFL: 2018 NFL Draft

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Colts fan here. I'm hoping Quenton Nelson falls to them at six. If he's gone by then I think their move might be to trade down again with a QB needy team like the Bills, Cardinals or Dolphins. I've heard rumors about the Pats wanting to move way up to snag their next QB of the future, but I don't imagine Chris Ballard will want to do business with them after the McDaniels fiasco.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With the talk of the Pack in negotiations with Dez Bryant, I wonder if they go after offensive lineman. I know teddy liked Bulaga, but not so much the coaches due to always being injuries. And teddy brought what he wanted in, not what the coach wanted. They also need to find the qb after Rodgers. Is he in this draft or not?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm just curious as to what QB will do the best in the future:

Darnold
Allen
Rosen
Mayfield
Jackson
Rudolph

I don't like any of them as the top overall pick, but it's a QB driven league so I understand teams are going to reach. If I'm ranking the guys above it'd go:

1. Darnold - Highest floor of any player in the group. Tough smart kid who's used to the spotlight and has shown good leadership qualities. Can make all the throws. Turnovers are a concern but I think that's a byproduct of inexperience and trying to force plays for his team. All coachable stuff.

2. Jackson - I love his skill set. You just can't teach that kind of athleticism. And he'll be extra motivated to prove all the doubters wrong. There are some accuracy issues there, but I think he has the highest ceiling in the group.

3. Rosen - I think the narrative has gotten out of hand with him. He has the best pocket presence and awareness of the group, and he might be the most accurate passer (it's him or Mayfield). I don't worry about his attitude or commitment; I just think he's a curious person and not afraid to speak his mind. Nothing wrong with that. My big worry with him is durability. It seems like he was always dinged up at UCLA. The pass rushers are only going to be bigger, faster and stronger at the next level. Can he stay on the field?

4. Mayfield - Super accurate. Mobility is a plus, and I like his ability to extend a play. I just don't like his attitude. I worry about him rubbing veteran teammates the wrong way if and when he struggles as a rookie. And any QB coming out of a spread system is going to be a big question mark. NFL coaches are still learning how to coach those guys and tailor their systems to accommodate what those QBs can and can't do.

5. Allen - Not a fan. Works hard and from what I've heard teams love his attitude and demeanor. And he can throw it to the moon. But he's way too inaccurate for my liking, and while that can be coached up some, generally guys don't make drastic improvements from college to the pros. You can either put the ball on the money or you can't.

6. Rudolph - Solid developmental prospect. I wouldn't burn a first round pick on him and I certainly wouldn't throw him to the wolves right away. Maybe with a couple years sitting and watching he could become a competent starter.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Darnold has the highest ceiling. Allen is an almost guaranteed bust. A big arm with no accuracy. Whoever drafts him will regret drafting him and be at the bottom of the league for a few years. He has browns written all over him.

• Agree

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't like any of them as the top overall pick, but it's a QB driven league so I understand teams are going to reach. If I'm ranking the guys above it'd go:

1. Darnold - Highest floor of any player in the group. Tough smart kid who's used to the spotlight and has shown good leadership qualities. Can make all the throws. Turnovers are a concern but I think that's a byproduct of inexperience and trying to force plays for his team. All coachable stuff.

2. Jackson - I love his skill set. You just can't teach that kind of athleticism. And he'll be extra motivated to prove all the doubters wrong. There are some accuracy issues there, but I think he has the highest ceiling in the group.

3. Rosen - I think the narrative has gotten out of hand with him. He has the best pocket presence and awareness of the group, and he might be the most accurate passer (it's him or Mayfield). I don't worry about his attitude or commitment; I just think he's a curious person and not afraid to speak his mind. Nothing wrong with that. My big worry with him is durability. It seems like he was always dinged up at UCLA. The pass rushers are only going to be bigger, faster and stronger at the next level. Can he stay on the field?

4. Mayfield - Super accurate. Mobility is a plus, and I like his ability to extend a play. I just don't like his attitude. I worry about him rubbing veteran teammates the wrong way if and when he struggles as a rookie. And any QB coming out of a spread system is going to be a big question mark. NFL coaches are still learning how to coach those guys and tailor their systems to accommodate what those QBs can and can't do.

5. Allen - Not a fan. Works hard and from what I've heard teams love his attitude and demeanor. And he can throw it to the moon. But he's way too inaccurate for my liking, and while that can be coached up some, generally guys don't make drastic improvements from college to the pros. You can either put the ball on the money or you can't.

6. Rudolph - Solid developmental prospect. I wouldn't burn a first round pick on him and I certainly wouldn't throw him to the wolves right away. Maybe with a couple years sitting and watching he could become a competent starter.

Heard a breakdown of Mayfield this morning on ESPN radio, they were saying comparisons to Russell Wilson are off-base because Wilson is much faster than Mayfield, who ran a 4.8. So how is he going to outrun NFL defenders where you have edge guys who run 4.5. Then they tried comparing his game to Brees, but that didn't work because Mayfield's game has never been from the pocket. They were making a lot of sense. And they touched on your point with his attitude and how 35-year-old men were not going to take kindly to the 'rah-rah' antics of a 22-year-old coming in trying rev them up the same way he revved up 20-year old college players.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Heard a breakdown of Mayfield this morning on ESPN radio, they were saying comparisons to Russell Wilson are off-base because Wilson is much faster than Mayfield, who ran a 4.8. So how is he going to outrun NFL defenders where you have edge guys who run 4.5. Then they tried comparing his game to Brees, but that didn't work because Mayfield's game has never been from the pocket. They were making a lot of sense. And they touched on your point with his attitude and how 35-year-old men were not going to take kindly to the 'rah-rah' antics of a 22-year-old coming in trying rev them up the same way he revved up 20-year old college players.

Mayfield's game is EXACTLY like Russell Wilson IMO, only slower. So I'm not sure what that gives you?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Mayfield's game is EXACTLY like Russell Wilson IMO, only slower. So I'm not sure what that gives you?

Neither do I. That was their point. His game is like Wilson's, but Wilson runs (or ran I guess) a 4.5, much faster than Mayfield. So if Mayfield goes out and tries to play a similar game to Wilson he's in big trouble because he won't be able to elude or outrun NFL defenders the way Wilson can.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Neither do I. That was their point. His game is like Wilson's, but Wilson runs (or ran I guess) a 4.5, much faster than Mayfield. So if Mayfield goes out and tries to play a similar game to Wilson he's in big trouble because he won't be able to elude or outrun NFL defenders the way Wilson can.
Watching Mayfield the past couple years, he isn't fast, but he's quick enough to buy time in the pocket. Similar to Aaron Rogers. His height concerns me more than his agility.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Colts fan here. I'm hoping Quenton Nelson falls to them at six. If he's gone by then I think their move might be to trade down again with a QB needy team like the Bills, Cardinals or Dolphins. I've heard rumors about the Pats wanting to move way up to snag their next QB of the future, but I don't imagine Chris Ballard will want to do business with them after the McDaniels fiasco.

Colts fan here as well. I'm hoping Barkley drops to them at 6, but I don't think that will happen. In that case Nelson would definitely be my top choice for them.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Darnold has the highest ceiling. Allen is an almost guaranteed bust. A big arm with no accuracy. Whoever drafts him will regret drafting him and be at the bottom of the league for a few years. He has browns written all over him.

Agreed. I've seen a lot of comps to Big Ben (big body, big arm, small school), but Ben was waaay more accurate. In my opinion the Browns should take Darnold, but it's the Browns so they will probably take Allen or Mayfield.

• Agree

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

Wilson was also a lot more mature than Mayfield, and more intelligent as well.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Agreed. I've seen a lot of comps to Big Ben (big body, big arm, small school), but Ben was waaay more accurate. In my opinion the Browns should take Darnold, but it's the Browns so they will probably take Allen or Mayfield.

Who's the last guy with a huge arm that everyone fell in love with? Blake Bortles? How is that working out? The Jags are doing decent now basically in spite of him and they're just hoping he doesn't lose games for them.

It didn't help that the Jags weren't ready to win when he got there though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't really care for any of these 4 QBs. I guess Rosen might be my top choice, but I don't see him doing well either.

Allen has bust written all over him. Can throw it 50 yds from his knees or something, but can't hit the broad side of a barn. His performance against Iowa showed me all I needed to see.

Mayfield also worries me. Most QBs like him do not do well in the NFL. It's rare. So the odds are against him.

Darnold was an interception just waiting to happen. Scary.

I think Mason Rudolph has just as much chance at succeeding in the NFL as any of these guys.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't really care for any of these 4 ....
I think Mason Rudolph has just as much chance at succeeding in the NFL as any of these guys.

Would have to agree. I'm glad the Vikes are not needing to draft a QB in the first or second round but I see some mocks have them taking Riley out of Memphis in the fifth of sixth round. Don't think he'll last that long, but we'll see.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Mike Mayock's top 100

1. Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State
2. Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame
3. Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State
4. Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
5. Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, Alabama

7. Sam Darnold, QB, USC
9. Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
17. James Daniels, C, Iowa
21. Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
22. Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma
23. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
37. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
40. Connor Williams, OL, Texas
44. Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa
49. James Washington, WR, Oklahoma State
50. Anthony Miller, WR, Memphis
67. Mark Andrews, TE, Oklahoma
71. Holton Hill, CB, Texas
72. Josey Jewell, LB, Iowa
77. Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas
80. Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State
94. Daurice Fountain, WR, Northern Iowa
100. Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
With the talk of the Pack in negotiations with Dez Bryant, I wonder if they go after offensive lineman. I know teddy liked Bulaga, but not so much the coaches due to always being injuries. And teddy brought what he wanted in, not what the coach wanted. They also need to find the qb after Rodgers. Is he in this draft or not?

Bryant doesn't want to go there, and I'm pretty sure he's not a guy they want in their locker room, either. He's lost a step too.

Gutekunst will go after defensive help first and foremost - really hope he trades up for Chubb or Ward, but that might be a real reach. Fitzpatrick might be a step in and start guy at corner. Davenport is tantalizing, but he has a lot to learn and they need help NOW. Gonna be fun tonight, whatever happens.

• Agree
Reactions: Knownothing