Why is life worth living?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Been a long time since I've discussed this but thought I'd share a little update. The last few months have been miserable. Absolutely miserable. Tried making things work with my (soon to be) ex wife but it went nowhere. Went to couples therapy which was an absolute joke overall. We rarely talked about us, rather would only talk about how she felt in the moment. Lots of blame thrown my way and we never once even brought up the affair. I would've tried getting out sooner but every time there would be a bad day, it'd follow up with a good day in which she'd reel me right back in with "normalcy", flirting, kissing, I love you's, etc. The final straw was us having two solid weeks in a row where I thought things were making a turn and she ended up telling my therapist "I feel as if my life wouldn't change if he wasn't in it", to which I finally gave up. That killed me.

I asked for a divorce shortly after that and we're now in that process. House has been sold and I'm uprooting my life and starting over in a different spot. I move in shortly and am excited for this next chapter. Even though I'm excited I'm still deeply sad about losing "my person", although your "person" can't be someone that does something like that, right? Either way, I guess it's time to move on.

The one thing I have been extremely thankful for over the course of this miserable quarter of a year has been Iowa State and this website (outside of my friends and family). Iowa State will always be my home and engulfing all forms of content here and interacting with all you hooligans always is a bright spot for my days, even when they may be dark. And if there's one thing that being a Cyclone fan has taught me is heartbreak. Thank you all and even though I don't personally know any of you, I love you all.
RIGHT.

It hurts, but you will be better off and most likely will find someone who deserves you and will treat you with respect and care.

Reactions: Angie and NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just read about what happened to you. I know the unsettling feeling well, as an apartment I was living in was burglarized almost 20 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long, honestly, because I still feel anxious when I leave my home for long periods of time (and even a little when I'm gone for normal daily life). Take the steps you need to try and give yourself peace of mind. I'm sorry you and your family are going through this.

I hope you have a good support system in person, but CF is also here to listen. Take care of yourself and take this new chapter step by step.
I'm beyond blessed that I'm still young and that no kids are involved. I can barely look at her right now so having to co-parent would be absolutely miserable. I can cut all ties to that old life and start new. I'm also lucky enough that I do have a tremendous support system and have already gotten lucky enough to fall into a great living situation.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
My life had that turn where I went through a divorce. It took about 6 months for me to recover. It was a hard 6 months. I didn't believe in Depression or Anxiety and had to find out the hard way. Now I am much strong. Been single for 7 years, will never get married again. Just be careful when you get back in the market. Their are a lot of sharks out there just looking for some guy to be with so they have someone else. Just live your life. Have fun. Go hiking, go do stuff on your own. Once you get past the crazy stuff during the divorce, it will be fun. Also, Prepare yourself for her finding a guy right away. I am talking during the divorce. It almost always happens.
Usually because they'd already found the other person prior to the divorce, which, whether known to all parties or not, is usually a contributing factor.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Been a long time since I've discussed this but thought I'd share a little update. The last few months have been miserable. Absolutely miserable. Tried making things work with my (soon to be) ex wife but it went nowhere. Went to couples therapy which was an absolute joke overall. We rarely talked about us, rather would only talk about how she felt in the moment. Lots of blame thrown my way and we never once even brought up the affair. I would've tried getting out sooner but every time there would be a bad day, it'd follow up with a good day in which she'd reel me right back in with "normalcy", flirting, kissing, I love you's, etc. The final straw was us having two solid weeks in a row where I thought things were making a turn and she ended up telling my therapist "I feel as if my life wouldn't change if he wasn't in it", to which I finally gave up. That killed me.

I asked for a divorce shortly after that and we're now in that process. House has been sold and I'm uprooting my life and starting over in a different spot. I move in shortly and am excited for this next chapter. Even though I'm excited I'm still deeply sad about losing "my person", although your "person" can't be someone that does something like that, right? Either way, I guess it's time to move on.

The one thing I have been extremely thankful for over the course of this miserable quarter of a year has been Iowa State and this website (outside of my friends and family). Iowa State will always be my home and engulfing all forms of content here and interacting with all you hooligans always is a bright spot for my days, even when they may be dark. And if there's one thing that being a Cyclone fan has taught me is heartbreak. Thank you all and even though I don't personally know any of you, I love you all.
Wait -- I'm now a hooligan? Guess I'd better be a good one!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
As many know the last few days have been very trying on me with want I went through Sunday. I've informed my brothers at OTN that I'm going to a temporary hiatus from doing OTN. I'm still going to do my game threads, but after basketball season I maybe on less than usual. Just really struggling right now.

Even with new locks and secure doors when I was at work today all I could focus on was if the house is okay. My mom and I have isu wbb season tickets and tonight is a big one with KSU. But I think I will pass because I won't be able to focus I'll just be worthing if the house is safe.

My parents were snowbirds, splitting time between IA and AZ. One winter they headed back to their house in AZ and arrived to an open back sliding door, doors off of hinges, sand all over in the house and nearly everything gone including appliances (which is why doors were off of hinges). Turns out that neighbors down the street knew they were snowbirds and made multiple trips to loot the house in the middle of the night actually lifting appliances up over a cinder block wall into a pickup in the alley. They took collectible WWII guns, weird personal items such as a glass apple with floating pieces of gold my dad was given by the Des Moines School District, etc. Their house even had an alarm system, but the police never responded and security company simply deactivated the alarm. Insurance took care of everything as best as they could, but they still felt that sting of being victimized. Since then I've become a pretty big advocate for multiple cameras, both Ring and Nest and both indoors and outdoors.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
My life had that turn where I went through a divorce. It took about 6 months for me to recover. It was a hard 6 months. I didn't believe in Depression or Anxiety and had to find out the hard way. Now I am much strong. Been single for 7 years, will never get married again. Just be careful when you get back in the market. Their are a lot of sharks out there just looking for some guy to be with so they have someone else. Just live your life. Have fun. Go hiking, go do stuff on your own. Once you get past the crazy stuff during the divorce, it will be fun. Also, Prepare yourself for her finding a guy right away. I am talking during the divorce. It almost always happens.
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I've suffered with anxiety for a few years now (mostly stemming from her) but have been diagnosed with depression now too. Going to therapy has been a life saver, literally. I'm not through it all yet by any means but I don't think there could be anything than the situation I was just living in for the last few months in being with someone who acts like everything is okay and "pretending" to be still married but then telling you she doesn't love you and doesn't want to be with you.

And if she finds a new guy.. so be it. She already had another guy in our marriage so why would I care now? Also, I've deleted her on every form of social media plus all of her friends and family. Don't want to ever see her again. 11 year relationship and 4 year marriage gone in an instant and she barely sheds a tear? Yeah, good riddance.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Usually because they'd already found the other person prior to the divorce, which, whether known to all parties or not, is usually a contributing factor.
Oh her and her married "boyfriend" are most likely going to end up together. They're still coworkers and had zero problem with being with one another when in separate marriages. They will 100% get together.

Reactions: State2015

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Just don’t be afraid to reach out to people for help. You might be surprised that others have gone through this and talking with them can be a help to both.

• Friendly
Reactions: Jer and Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
For my money, if 2024 is just stable and boring, that's a giant leap forward from 2023. That was the most stressful year I've ever had.
If the Cyclones want to keep winning on the way to better than stable and boring, that's a nice bonus, and possible even some allowable fun.
I'd take a divorce & heartbreak for an ISU national championship. Without question.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Oh her and her married "boyfriend" are most likely going to end up together. They're still coworkers and had zero problem with being with one another when in separate marriages. They will 100% get together.
Just from reading your posts here, they've probably never actually split. It sounds a lot like a situation I was close to (but not directly involved in).

You have to feel a sense of relief that's hard to describe moving on from that.

Reactions: swisher and bos

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Once a cheater...always a cheater! So those two deserve each other...and all the worrying they will do about one another when not together...about what the other is really doing at that moment and who they are really with!

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'm beyond blessed that I'm still young and that no kids are involved. I can barely look at her right now so having to co-parent would be absolutely miserable. I can cut all ties to that old life and start new. I'm also lucky enough that I do have a tremendous support system and have already gotten lucky enough to fall into a great living situation.
i know someone going through this right now and there is a young child involved which makes it 1000x worse, it seems.

youre on to new adventures, my friend

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just from reading your posts here, they've probably never actually split. It sounds a lot like a situation I was close to (but not directly involved in).

You have to feel a sense of relief that's hard to describe moving on from that.
Certainly not emotionally. Especially considering she told me her and him were telling each other they loved one another. Definitely feels like they were holding out for one of the other spouses to cut ties.

I will once everything is truly over. Still feel the weight a bit from everything but each passing day is a day closer to being done with that mess. Then I get to truly just focus on me and only me, something I haven't done in a long long time.

Reactions: NWICY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Once a cheater...always a cheater! So those two deserve each other...and all the worrying they will do about one another when not together...about what the other is really doing at that moment and who they are really with!
Yeah I will definitely say that the absolute best thing about this is no longer worrying if she's with that guy. That anxious feeling is gone and man does it feel good.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
i know someone going through this right now and there is a young child involved which makes it 1000x worse, it seems.

youre on to new adventures, my friend
I honestly couldn't imagine. Makes me sick that that's the world we live in. Today's society with social media and Hollywood makes everything so fake and makes people think there's always something better.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I honestly couldn't imagine. Makes me sick that that's the world we live in. Today's society with social media and Hollywood makes everything so fake and makes people think there's always something better.

I think the advent of online dating and apps has contributed to this as well.

I overall think they’re a good thing, as they allow you to meet people you otherwise might not cross paths with (and they can help you get back out there when you’re ready), but having potential suitors “on demand” at your fingertips is too much for some people to handle.