***Official 2022 World Cup Thread***

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'd love the idea, but I don't think there's enough money (or talent, currently) to support another level of soccer in the US below the MLS. Between college and pro sports, our sports fans are already stretched to the point of dwindling attendance in some areas.

MLS is getting better, but the talent overall is a pretty large step down from most country's systems. While the support has been growing, we still have a significant portion of our population that will always be rooting against the sport's success.
There already is another level it just doesn’t have relegation. The other part is because there will be people rooting against success let the market decide where it can succeed. Right now MLS is trying to choose where soccer can be successful. They should just let the market decide where it can be successful. Maybe that means soccer is dominated by small market teams that they are the only game in town.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
There already is another level it just doesn’t have relegation. The other part is because there will be people rooting against success let the market decide where it can succeed. Right now MLS is trying to choose where soccer can be successful. They should just let the market decide where it can be successful. Maybe that means soccer is dominated by small market teams that they are the only game in town.
Just having other levels without possible access to MLS doesn’t help fan/population engagement in my population. If I lived in a town that had a USL team I probably wouldn’t care much. Glorified friendly matches is what their games would feel like to me.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Long term, I think it would greatly benefit US soccer if they went forward with a relegation system similar to the rest of the world. It probably will never happen as MLS owners have put too much money into growing the league and they don’t want to risk losing money.

Having multiple tiers would allow for additional professional teams across the country. The potential to get to the top league would make it easier for the cities to get behind their teams and support them, consequently getting more people involved and caring about soccer etc.

Imagine if places like DSM, Omaha, Milwaukee, and on and on had professional teams that had a chance to make it to the MLS.

There already are professional "non-MLS" teams all across America (last I heard Des Moines even had one of those teams). The structure is already in place for the system - it would just have to be implemented. The issue in implementing it is not a single MLS team would want to do so. Why? Do you understand how many tens of millions of dollars each of those owners spent in order to get an MLS franchise in the first place? And one bad season could end up costing them everything.

Maybe pro-rel would be good for American soccer, maybe it wouldn't (I'm one of those that's convinced it would not have any meaningful effect one way or the other). Regardless, it will never happen for the same reason why youth development in America is such a disaster - the money invested and money made is so great that nobody will ever change status quo because those already involved don't want to lose their current piece of the pie.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
There already are professional "non-MLS" teams all across America (last I heard Des Moines even had one of those teams). The structure is already in place for the system - it would just have to be implemented. The issue in implementing it is not a single MLS team would want to do so. Why? Do you understand how many tens of millions of dollars each of those owners spent in order to get an MLS franchise in the first place? And one bad season could end up costing them everything.

Maybe pro-rel would be good for American soccer, maybe it wouldn't (I'm one of those that's convinced it would not have any meaningful effect one way or the other). Regardless, it will never happen for the same reason why youth development in America is such a disaster - the money invested and money made is so great that nobody will ever change status quo because those already involved don't want to lose their current piece of the pie.
It’s what I said. It will never happen for the same reasons you have in your post. In my humble opinion having “real” teams in multiple locations across the US would drive engagement and potentially help grow the sport at an even better pace, but not worth putting too much energy into the topic as we agree it is very unlikely to ever happen.

Reactions: Harry

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Just having other levels without possible access to MLS doesn’t help fan/population engagement in my population. If I lived in a town that had a USL team I probably wouldn’t care much. Glorified friendly matches is what their games would feel like to me.
That is the point though. They need to make it have access by implementing the promotion and relegation.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
PK's has to be one of the worst ways to be eliminated. Aside from fair play points of course.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
PK's has to be one of the worst ways to be eliminated. Aside from fair play points of course.
Agreed. Announcers saying the teams were playing it safe just to get to PKs and I'm like "**** that!". I would rather commit numbers to getting that go ahead goal. If I lose in OT because of it, so be it. At least I would feel I was more in control of my own fate.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That is the point though. They need to make it have access by implementing the promotion and relegation.

I don’t think people realize the economic and financial aspect of the relegation system, especially in England. The money just isn’t there right now and in American sports the business is making money. To attract the money you have to have an attractive model. The MLS accomplishes that. No one is going to sign off on multi-million parachutes to relegated teams.

It’s just not that easy.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Kinda feel bad for Korea. This is like a 9th grade JV football team having to play a 5A State Championship team that has multiple players with offers to play at numerous FCS schools.

Brazil just plays on a completely different level from them.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO