***Official 2022 World Cup Thread***

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
They had their chances. Wish it turned out differently.

On another note, imagine all the top athletes in the US chose to play soccer.

Reactions: Drew0311

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They had their chances. Wish it turned out differently.

On another note, imagine all the top athletes in the US chose to play soccer.

That is something that is going to remain an issue for the foreseeable future, and may very well always be behind football and basketball in popularity in the US.

That said, soccer has made strides in improving its popularity in the US over the last 20 years. Essentially... the greater MLS's credibility grows on a world stage, the better the soccer will be here.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That is something that is going to remain an issue for the foreseeable future, and may very well always be behind football and basketball in popularity in the US.

That said, soccer has made strides in improving its popularity in the US over the last 20 years. Essentially... the greater MLS's credibility grows on a world stage, the better the soccer will be here.
I don’t think mls really has any credibility to the rest of the world.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
just need the players to spend 2-3 seasons as a “developmental league” and then go to Europe. Look at Japanese players: they spent time in the J League, then on to Europe

Reactions: isutrevman

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I wouldn't say "none", but it is minimal.

When I talk about "credibility" I mean more here in this country. MLS has to have at least a certain amount of credibility in order to build interest in the sport here. In that aspect it has made great strides over the last 20 years - but has a long way to go. I never meant to imply its credibility will ever measure against any of the major or even minor leagues in Europe.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

When I talk about "credibility" I mean more here in this country. MLS has to have at least a certain amount of credibility in order to build interest in the sport here. In that aspect it has made great strides over the last 20 years - but has a long way to go. I never meant to imply its credibility will ever measure against any of the major or even minor leagues in Europe.

Affordability ant the youth level and marketing the professional league are a couple of the biggest hurdles right now IMO, honestly. The rest of the world, soccer is the easiest to get to due to the simplicity of equipment.

Profiting on youth sports is so gross. I know it probably won’t change, but I hate it.

Reactions: isutrevman

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Affordability ant the youth level and marketing the professional league are a couple of the biggest hurdles right now IMO, honestly. The rest of the world, soccer is the easiest to get to due to the simplicity of equipment.

Profiting on youth sports is so gross. I know it probably won’t change, but I hate it.

That will always be the second aspect to why USA will struggle at the international level. I mentioned the first earlier - our best athletes play football and basketball. The second is soccer is a "rich person's" sport in America where it costs a lot of money to get into. Football and basketball benefit greatly from this.

For all of Jurgen Klinsmann's flaws, he was right in this aspect. But he nor anyone else is ever going to be able to fight the money game that is youth soccer.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Check the stadium capacities and the attendance numbers. Will probably surprise you.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Check the stadium capacities and the attendance numbers. Will probably surprise you.
I remember when MLS started and was a San Jose Clash supporter in the early days before I moved away from the Bay Area. The difference between then and now is unbelievable. MLS is developing from the ground up, and I believe within 50 years, MLS will be one of the top leagues in the world on par with the EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc. Just a matter of time. Our market is HUGE and DIVERSE.

Cannot wait for 2026 World Cup on home soil again!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
That Messi goal was great. Right before the free kick, I was thinking: "Teams like Argentina don't meass around in situations like this." Next thing you know, Messi is putting it in the goal between an Aussie defenders legs. 1-0 Argies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron