***Official 2022 World Cup Thread***

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Anybody following this? Evidently the Reyna’s were blackmailing US Soccer to get Gio more playing time based on an altercation between Berhalter and his now wife which occurred in ‘91. Terrible look for everybody.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...-berhalter-domestic-violence-incident-sources
Wow this makes things more unsavory. No one looks good in this matter: Berhalter should just have kept everything in the house instead of telling the story (added to the fact that some players said there were no votes taken whether to send Gio home or not). The Reynas don't look good here and I wouldn't comment on the accusation but Claudio should know that managers come and go. Gio has been quite successful in Bundesliga and he doesn't need GB's playing him to be justify himself - doing this actually harms Gio's reputation. He's an adult and he can deal with GB himself.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Personally I feel this is a "D*** Move" by the Reyna's.

I always enjoyed watching Claudio as a player, but feel this is sour grapes because other players were stepping up and working harder than Gio in practice and training.

Reactions: 8thfloor

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think this may have had the exact opposite effect the Reyna camp had hoped for. It seems like public opinion had pretty well turned in Greg after he made public Reyna's work ethic issue. But now it's the Reyna's that look dumb-- blackmailing him over something that happened between him and his now wife 30+ years ago. Seems to me Greg comes away looking somewhat sympathetic here.

• Agree
Reactions: jmb

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Personally I feel this is a "D*** Move" by the Reyna's.

I always enjoyed watching Claudio as a player, but feel this is sour grapes because other players were stepping up and working harder than Gio in practice and training.
Yeah, I've been following this story since it broke. This has serious "overbearing soccer parent that never grew out of it" vibes.

I'm clearly not condoning what Berhalter did, but it seems apparent that he made a pretty bad mistake a long time ago and the person that was affected the most has forgiven him.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: psycln11

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Anybody following this? Evidently the Reyna’s were blackmailing US Soccer to get Gio more playing time based on an altercation between Berhalter and his now wife which occurred in ‘91. Terrible look for everybody.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...-berhalter-domestic-violence-incident-sources
That is not what the story says at all. Mom told Earnie about it because Berhalter spoke poorly about Gio. Claudio should have kept his mouth shut during the Copa. We now have a new excuse to suck in the next cycle. JFC.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
That is not what the story says at all.
“Multiple sources told ESPN he threatened to share allegations about Berhalter's past, but Reyna has denied those allegations.

The messages began from Claudio after his son, Gio Reyna, was informed he would have a limited role at the tournament.”

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Geesh, the yahoo sports article notes claudio was Berhalter’s best man at their wedding.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
“Multiple sources told ESPN he threatened to share allegations about Berhalter's past, but Reyna has denied those allegations.

The messages began from Claudio after his son, Gio Reyna, was informed he would have a limited role at the tournament.”
I hear you. I don't trust the story at all yet. That is just my thing. Mom said her part AFTER the World Cup. It is unclear to me what Claudio was thinking if the allegations started during the World Cup as alleged.