John Deere strike imminent?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Like someone else mentioned,UPS won’t cross the line. Baker Electric does a lot of work for JD Des Moines work. They also said they won’t cross the line. There are others but those 2 for sure. Not sure if anybody has mentioned it but Vilsack is suppose to come and publicly support the Union on the 23rd.
It just happened.

Reactions: theguru1

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Like someone else mentioned,UPS won’t cross the line. Baker Electric does a lot of work for JD Des Moines work. They also said they won’t cross the line. There are others but those 2 for sure. Not sure if anybody has mentioned it but Vilsack is suppose to come and publicly support the Union on the 23rd.
I know a few fitters who work for Ahern out there full-time and they won't cross.

Reactions: theguru1

jmax71

Oct 21, 2006
Honest question - what should Deere be doing here? They came to an agreement with union bosses that were shot down by the members.

The union bosses need to get on the same page as the members. and give them a real plan which would be approved.
Oh boy, another post from someone who has zero knowledge about the realities of how any of this process works. Your use of the words “union bosses” tips me off you have no honest question other than to throw out union bosses as a negative connotation.

The Union Bargaining Committee can only bring back the best offer that was on the table at the deadline. They have no ability to force the Company any farther than they wanted to go but they were required to bring that back for a vote. Reality is both parties probably knew it wasn’t going to fly with the membership but the UAW Committee was at least going to bring it back and let the members decide.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Oh boy, another post from someone who has zero knowledge about the realities of how any of this process works. Your use of the words “union bosses” tips me off you have no honest question other than to throw out union bosses as a negative connotation.

The Union Bargaining Committee can only bring back the best offer that was on the table at the deadline. They have no ability to force the Company any farther than they wanted to go but they were required to bring that back for a vote. Reality is both parties probably knew it wasn’t going to fly with the membership but the UAW Committee was at least going to bring it back and let the members decide.

Honestly good to know. Thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009

Union leadership didn't need to vote on something they didn't feel would pass. Could have went right to the strike. And their comments after the tentative agreement didn't suggest they were tossing this out to prove how bad it would fail.

I agree with the post you quoted. Tough for Deere to negotiate with a bargaining committee so far out of touch with their members.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I know several local "sit-down" restaurant owners. Earlier this year, they were struggling badly, because they couldn't get workers. They were running partial dining rooms, which is unsustainable for many in that industry. The interview pool was strong, but the people coming in for interviews were leaving fake call-back contact info...they were just coming in to satisfy the requirement to get unemployment benefits.

At the end of June, Texas opted out of the federal Covid jobless benefits...since late summer, those restaurants are now fully staffed and running full dining rooms. Fast food places are still struggling to get workers though.

You are absolute right about the unsustainable federal spending. I would suggest however, that it is already ugly. The Fed has recently admitted that we now have "real" inflation, with no particular immediate relief in sight, as opposed to transitory inflation mantra they were peddling early this year.
Anecdotes are just that and nothing more.

States that withdrew early from federal unemployment programs pushed few people back to work and fueled a nearly $2 billion cut in household spending, potentially hurting their local economies, according to new research....

The data suggests unemployment benefits aren't playing a big role in hiring challenges and that other factors are having a larger impact — a similar thrust to other recent research analyzing the policy decisions.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Anecdotes are just that and nothing more.

States that withdrew early from federal unemployment programs pushed few people back to work and fueled a nearly $2 billion cut in household spending, potentially hurting their local economies, according to new research....

The data suggests unemployment benefits aren't playing a big role in hiring challenges and that other factors are having a larger impact — a similar thrust to other recent research analyzing the policy decisions.

The UKG and Homebase figures are early indicators. It will likely take another month or two of job and other labor-market data before economists can make a more thorough assessment of how effective the state policies were, they say.

Often there is lag between a policy implementation and definitive measurable effects...

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Often there is lag between a policy implementation and definitive measurable effects...
Ok. Here's another article published in October showing the same results.

"All the evidence points toward pandemic [unemployment benefits] not being the main factor," according to Nick Bunker, economic research director for North America at the Indeed Hiring Lab. "The best estimate right now is that it's the pandemic itself."

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclones1969

jmax71

Oct 21, 2006

Union leadership didn't need to vote on something they didn't feel would pass. Could have went right to the strike. And their comments after the tentative agreement didn't suggest they were tossing this out to prove how bad it would fail.

I agree with the post you quoted. Tough for Deere to negotiate with a bargaining committee so far out of touch with their members.
I would disagree with you on several points. The UAW Bargaining Committee is made up of the Presidents and Chairman from every UAW Local, along with support staff from the International Union i.e. actuaries, legal department, accounting expertise etc. The Presidents and Chairmen of these locals are elected by their respective memberships so you can't tell me that they are out of touch with their membership. I'm sure they knew where their members were at and probably knew they were going to get beat up when they ran their respective ratification meeting.

Additionally, they are duty bound to bring back and present the proposal that ended up being the last proposal. If they don't I can guarantee you there will be people in the membership that will be beating them up for not presenting the last offer. About the time you think you can just not give info to the members and just call a strike, you better be ready for half those guys significant others calling the Hall wanting to know what the h*** they are striking for. Believe me, I been there on that stuff.

It's called being transparent.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Ok. Here's another article published in October showing the same results.

"All the evidence points toward pandemic [unemployment benefits] not being the main factor," according to Nick Bunker, economic research director for North America at the Indeed Hiring Lab. "The best estimate right now is that it's the pandemic itself."

Fair enough. But IMO it's still too soon to tell.
While any positive impacts on job growth have been “relatively muted” so far, that may change later this year and as households deplete any built-up savings, according to Daniel Zhao, senior economist at job site Glassdoor.
[...]
“Ultimately, the September report will not be the final word in the debate over the impact of [unemployment insurance] benefits,” Zhao said.

• Dumb

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
There is no way that someone can just step in and be as fast and efficient as a worker that has been doing a job day in day out for months and years no matter what the job is. I couldn’t go in to McDonalds and run the drive thru or be the fry guy at the same level as some HS drop out that has been doing it for any meaningful amount of time.
I think a lot of these folks at McD's have a college degree from EIU don't they?

• Haha

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
If they reach a 6-year agreement that both sides hate equally, but (wage) inflation continues to run amok, is the pension good enough to keep workers there, or is Deere going to be hemorrhaging union employees?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

You can berate others for not knowing anything but what you are saying isn’t true. The bargaining committee didn’t have to agree to an extension. They didn’t have to agree to a tentative agreement. They could have started the strike Oct 1. In fact that’s what the rank and file wanted.

jmax71

Oct 21, 2006
You can berate others for not knowing anything but what you are saying isn’t true. The bargaining committee didn’t have to agree to an extension. They didn’t have to agree to a tentative agreement. They could have started the strike Oct 1. In fact that’s what the rank and file wanted.
Please tell me how agreeing to a tentative and bring it back to a vote stymied this process. Doing so allows the bargaining committee to go through every change in 1 meeting so everyone can hear the same questions asked and hear the same answer. Otherwise people would be passing rumors about what was there and what wasn’t in there.If you are going to put people out on the street on strike, having them go without a paycheck for their families for God knows how long, you damned well better bring that package back and let them make that determination.I was never one that felt I had a right to do that unilateraly.

I do apologize for coming across as berating which I’m sure I do on some posts but I do get tired in reading some posts that tend to constantly be critical of the union while dropping some incorrect info.

• Informative
Reactions: Die4Cy and NWICY