Metronet vs Mediacom

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
YTTV allows you to share accounts with up to (I think) 5 family members as part of your subscription.
This is what I was talking about

Location requirements work the same if you're sharing your YouTube TV membership with a family group. The family manager sets the home area, and all family members must primarily live in the same household.

Family group members need to periodically use YouTube TV in your home location to keep access. Otherwise, the family manager will have to change the home location. If the family manager can't change the home location, family group members will need to get an individual membership.

• Informative
Reactions: CycloneErik

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
This is what I was talking about

Location requirements work the same if you're sharing your YouTube TV membership with a family group. The family manager sets the home area, and all family members must primarily live in the same household.

Family group members need to periodically use YouTube TV in your home location to keep access. Otherwise, the family manager will have to change the home location. If the family manager can't change the home location, family group members will need to get an individual membership.
It’s easy to work around that though if you’re sharing with family that’s farther away. Just use a vpn or another method to spoof your location. I’m sharing with extended family in Michigan so every few months I just spoof my location. A bit inconvenient but worth it to lower the cost. OTOH, you could just go visit your family! :D

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I love how 10 years ago it was "screw cable", I want al a acarte. People(including me) complaining about paying Mediacom $150/month for an internet and cable package. Now it's
$80 Internet
$20 Netflix
Get Hulu + Live TV, Disney+, and ESPN+ for $72.99/month
$180
Oh and you're still missing Discovery +, Peackock, and a bunch of channels that you got with cable

Oh and make sure your data package is huge because of the streaming.

I'm not ready to go back to cable but it's kind of ridiculous.
Except you're choosing to subscribe to all of those things. You also have the ability to start and stop them at any time with a handful of clicks.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It’s easy to work around that though if you’re sharing with family that’s farther away. Just use a vpn or another method to spoof your location. I’m sharing with extended family in Michigan so every few months I just spoof my location. A bit inconvenient but worth it to lower the cost. OTOH, you could just go visit your family! :D

Cool. We'll see if I can't get my 86 year old mother to spoof her location using her SurfShark VPN account. Trying to figure out if she'll have time to fit this in between bit coin mining and writing that Java code for Elon.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Cool. We'll see if I can't get my 86 year old mother to spoof her location using her SurfShark VPN account. Trying to figure out if she'll have time to fit this in between bit coin mining and writing that Java code for Elon.
I didn’t think about it the other way—having older relatives needing to change their location. An easier method would be to have the people in the home location sign into the accounts of the people located elsewhere

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
No, but I'm jealous. Great speeds for reasonable price. Customer service puts mediacom and CL to shame (low bar, I know).

The one customer service experience I’ve had with them was pretty bad, but otherwise the service is solid. I had been getting pretty uncharacteristic lag for a few days during some online gaming sessions so I reached out via their online chat and was basically blown off because there weren’t any outages on their end. The problem eventually cleared up a week later, so I’m not sure what was wrong.

Edit: this was for mi-fiber.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm still waiting on install. Conduit was laid in my backyard over a month ago and I pre-registered for service before that but have not heard anything. Hopefully just a matter of time now. Our CenturyLink has always been reliable but can get much better speeds for nearly identical price with Metronet and have been seeing good things on the community FB pages for those that have already got it installed how fast it has been. If the service holds up I may look at getting their fiber TV next if it is available as even their top package is still less than what I pay for Dish.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I am so excited, I get to cancel mediacom next week! I assume they need 7 or 14 days notice.
I signed up for Metronet last night with a salesperson who was going door to door. For now I ended up with 1 gig for my internet, I do not believe I will need that much. He also, did not recommend there tv package as it would not save us any money. He was pushing AT&T, but I have not heard alot of good things about them. Thinking more about Hulu Plus or YouTube Tv. We are not very technical, so I want something that is easy to adjust to.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I signed up for Metronet last night with a salesperson who was going door to door. For now I ended up with 1 gig for my internet, I do not believe I will need that much. He also, did not recommend there tv package as it would not save us any money. He was pushing AT&T, but I have not heard alot of good things about them. Thinking more about Hulu Plus or YouTube Tv. We are not very technical, so I want something that is easy to adjust to.
I'd recommend going this route with Youtube TV

Chromecast with Google TV - Google Store

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
A Metronet salesperson just stopped by my door here in Grimes. 1GB for $70/month first 6 months then $80/month after that with no contract is still cheaper than what I'm paying for 200MB with Mediacom. I'm strongly considering switching but would be mad at myself if Metronet ends up sucking. Has anyone made the switch from Mediacom to Metronet? Would love anyone's 2 cents.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A Metronet salesperson just stopped by my door here in Grimes. 1GB for $70/month first 6 months then $80/month after that with no contract is still cheaper than what I'm paying for 200MB with Mediacom. I'm strongly considering switching but would be mad at myself if Metronet ends up sucking. Has anyone made the switch from Mediacom to Metronet? Would love anyone's 2 cents.
Got the same deal in April, switched from Mediacom, 10/10 would recommend. Haven't had a single issue since April.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Service has been great for my parents in Ames. Make the switch

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

From what I have been seeing on the Grimes community FB pages those who have signed up have said the speeds and reliability have been great so far. I pre-registered for service back in May and they laid conduit in my easement this summer but still no word on when I can actually get service installed. Chatted with Metronet last week and was told "sometime this fall" which is pretty vague. I wonder if they must need a certain number of people to sign up in your neighborhood before they start running the fiber down the conduit? Seems like some parts of town are getting setup faster than others.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am so excited, I get to cancel mediacom next week! I assume they need 7 or 14 days notice.

Just checked with the soon to be local phone company, I should be able to dump frontier within the next 60 days. So looking forward to that day. I'm supposed to get 100 up and 50 down for $44/month. TV would be another $78/month not sure if I'll hook onto that or stay with OTA and maybe a Hulu type service.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I currently am on a Mediacom "1 Gig" service line, averaging 350 Mbps downloads, until I fire up my vpn and then I can't even stream music. Can't wait for MetroNet

• Wow
Reactions: khardbored

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I got off the phone with Mediacom 15 min ago to cancel. Ahh, that was a great feeling!

Did they try to talk you into staying? Also, did you have to pay a cancellation fee?
This sucks because right now I have Mediacom, and will not get Metronet until mid or late Sept. so I wont be able to record the Iowa State vs Iowa game because Mediacom does not carry channel 5.