21-22 pieces that fit

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The only issue with your Kane/Morris argument is there were minutes for both during the 2013/14 season. When ISU signed Kane our returning guard court was Naz, Dorsey-Walker and Bubu. I doubt Monte was too concerned that he couldn't beat out ISU's returning players and pair with Kane in ISU's backcourt. Remember, Naz only scored 1.4 ppg as a frosh.

So if Fred promised Monte minutes- Kane really wasn't a threat.

Also the ISU programs were in different places. Fred just came off an NCAA Tournament loss to Ohio State and I am sure he felt he had a roster that could make the dance the next year. TJ is taking over a roster that didn't win a P5 game. So TJ isn't loading up for 2021/22.

Cyclone fans probably have a pretty low bar for next year. I think most people would take 5-7 Big12 wins as a sign of progress. But year 2 of TJ's tenure, most fans probably expect ISU to be around 9 wins in Big12 play.

So if TJ has a choice. Recruit an All-American player in Carr who will only be at ISU 1 year. Or recruit another elite transfer scoring guard who will be at ISU 2-3 years? I am going with the latter. Plus, I do think having Carr and Bolton on the roster would pull minutes from Hunter.

But hey, who knows who ISU's returning players will be. Is the Harris departure a sign of a total roster rebuild or some trimming. The other aspect of the new transfer rules, a new coach like TJ could pull a Lebron and build a super roster of transfers.

TJ has a 5 year deal, and my guess one lesson learned from his UNLV experience is to be selective with transfers and build for years 2 & 3. Not year 1.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Melvin Ejim was a frustrating player to watch as a freshman. Talented but turnover prone. Young players are rarely polished.

Oh I hear you. I just don't view Javan as 'young'.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
I’ve been curious, what evidence do we have that says Hunter should play at the 1 to move Bolton (or anyone else) off the ball?

He may very well become the best option, especially with what’s on our roster to date, but I just don’t see it as a forgone conclusion.

Granted the evidence I have is nothing but an endless string of YouTube videos of him dunking and shooting 3s. Has anyone seen a full game of his? Both Monte’s and Haliburton’s highlights had plenty of footage of them being solid ball distributors.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Hunter in Cardinal & Gold, I just wonder if a combo like Walker & Grill (if he follows TJ again) could be given the share of ball handling duties - Grill was getting some run in that role late in UNLV’s season.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I’ve been curious, what evidence do we have that says Hunter should play at the 1 to move Bolton (or anyone else) off the ball?

He may very well become the best option, especially with what’s on our roster to date, but I just don’t see it as a forgone conclusion.

Granted the evidence I have is nothing but an endless string of YouTube videos of him dunking and shooting 3s. Has anyone seen a full game of his? Both Monte’s and Haliburton’s highlights had plenty of footage of them being solid ball distributors.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Hunter in Cardinal & Gold, I just wonder if a combo like Walker & Grill (if he follows TJ again) could be given the share of ball handling duties - Grill was getting some run in that role late in UNLV’s season.
I think the evidence was last year. Watching Bolton play point was painful.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

Bolton is a turnover machine at PG. Not to mention he forces way too many shots when the team is struggling. He needs to be off the ball and catch and shoot. Grill should not be allowed near a B12 basketball arena, let alone handling the ball (shudder!). Walker intrigues me, but needs to tighten up his handles a LOT if he were to take over the main PG duties. Seems Hunter is the logical choice if nothing else, by attrition.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Ha, I wholeheartedly agree. Yet my question is about Hunter, not Bolton.
I don't mind if Hunter is a more combo scoring guard as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. Now if we want to bring in a transfer that could foster a Kane/Morris duo I'd be all for it.

Jerry Meyer:
PROJECTION
Power-5 Starter

Slight of build but extremely athletic. Is a dynamic scorer but also has a feel for involving teammates. Adept at using screen both with and without the ball. Shifty on the drive and a creative and acrobatic finisher, especially with the right hand. Has adequate shooting range and is a threat to shoot from behind the ball screen. Needs to become a more consistent shooter and better off the catch. Is engaged as a defender and rebounder. Size and strength are the main questions regarding his ceiling.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I don't mind if Hunter is a more combo scoring guard as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. Now if we want to bring in a transfer that could foster a Kane/Morris duo I'd be all for it.

Jerry Meyer:
PROJECTION
Power-5 Starter

Slight of build but extremely athletic. Is a dynamic scorer but also has a feel for involving teammates. Adept at using screen both with and without the ball. Shifty on the drive and a creative and acrobatic finisher, especially with the right hand. Has adequate shooting range and is a threat to shoot from behind the ball screen. Needs to become a more consistent shooter and better off the catch. Is engaged as a defender and rebounder. Size and strength are the main questions regarding his ceiling.

Hunter should play PG, barring TJ bringing in a true pure PG. As Meyer states right now Hunters main negative is 3 point shooting. He's improving in that area thus the jump in the rankings from 70's to now top 40 in the past year but not finished. I'd add he'll be a freshman with a developing body, it is easier to play other PG's on D this year as he adds weight.
This is still a long term rebuild, getting Hunter experience at PG is important for the long haul. Hunter/Foster/Hinson are the long term foundation to get this team to the tourney in a couple of years and every decision should be made with that in mind.

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Cyclone fans probably have a pretty low bar for next year. I think most people would take 5-7 Big12 wins as a sign of progress. But year 2 of TJ's tenure, most fans probably expect ISU to be around 9 wins in Big12 play.

Technically one win would be progress, but your point still stands.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
If TJ can keep Hunter on board, that is a huge step to the future with both him and Foster. The rest is just deciding which players you want to keep that are going to be helpful to build the culture you want because they aren't going to be winning many games next year.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
I think Prohm’s “offense” also forced Bolton to have to create offense for the team which cause a lot of turnovers. I’d say it was more of a failure on Prohm’s end than Bolton’s. Still would rather have him playing off ball.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Bolton is a turnover machine at PG. Not to mention he forces way too many shots when the team is struggling. He needs to be off the ball and catch and shoot. Grill should not be allowed near a B12 basketball arena, let alone handling the ball (shudder!). Walker intrigues me, but needs to tighten up his handles a LOT if he were to take over the main PG duties. Seems Hunter is the logical choice if nothing else, by attrition.
Ya Grill as a Big 12 PG might be the funniest thing I've read on this site all year.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I think evaluating pieces that are already here is difficult due to the system then played in. I expect TJ to do a much better job with generating shots and coaching shot selection. We consistently saw people transfer into our program that shot the three well in other programs and then dropped significantly when they came here. We have also seen people transfer out and shooting improved significantly.

I think the same can be said on the defensive end. Evaluating anyone's defensive capability in the mess of a system we ran is about impossible. Our whole philosophy seemed to be "man we just gotta work harder".

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Not going to get expectations too high but wanted to discuss how many of our players fit in a Big XII quality rotation.

First and foremost gotta get that PG, hopefully we hold on to Hunter. If not TJ has to find someone because obviously we don't have a guy that can do the job. However, I do feel comfortable with Walker maintaining his current role as a wing rotation guy then be our backup PG.

Bolton obviously needs to be one of our primary scorers at the 2. I think Harris or Jackson cold be solid next year as his backup.

Our bigger wing is a ?. Doubt we get JCL back. Walker and Nunn not sure we have a legitimate starter there for next season. Hinson would be great if we add a four. If not this is a must add spot.

The 4, we need a guy. Maybe that guy committed to TJ last November? Regardless we have to find a guy that can upgrade our presence on the boards. Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell? Is there a rotation backup there? IDK.

Finally the post. Need to hang on to both these guys and add a third. Big XII quality? Not yet, we'll have to see where they're at this fall.
Hunter, Bolton, and foster. After that it is what it is

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Eh? Ejim was a tough scrapper who rebounded well and looked solid as a freshman, even with some stone hands. It was clear from day one that he belonged and he would have a very good career.
I wonder now. Have we had too many freshman that looked Big 12 promising or played significant minutes, since maybe Ejim?

The obvious answers in part would be, Wigginton, THT, and Tyrese H. But who else? Go back as far as you want. Hoiberg another duh yes, for sure.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It would be real nice to score big on the freshmen next few years!

Edit: And have them stick around a while, more than 2 years, 4 would be nice.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Hunter, Bolton, and foster. After that it is what it is
I’ll go with Hunter, X, Hinson, and I wouldn’t mind at all if we could talk JCL into another year. I was also intrigued with Nunn but obviously that ship has sailed. Nobody else I’d lose sleep over, including whom I’m sure a lot of posters would consider a glaring omission.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I wonder now. Have we had too many freshman that looked Big 12 promising or played significant minutes, since maybe Ejim?

The obvious answers in part would be, Wigginton, THT, and Tyrese H. But who else? Go back as far as you want. Hoiberg another duh yes, for sure.

Blalock, Stinson, Fizer. There are a lot when you think about it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron