[Eli Sanders Added] 2021 Class Breakdown

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Langston replacement? Had 4 picks his last season he played

According to his twitter, he also holds offers from West Virginia, Kansas State, Virginia, and Mississippi State

Reactions: 83cy and baagoe

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Wouldn't Langston have fit at the FS spot? That's basically just Miller and King now. I think Miller finished the year pretty good. It seems like King got beat a lot.

No way are they moving their best cover corner lol
Everyone thinks Tampa will be a stud but as of now we have no idea if he can play corner.

I'm not sounding the alarm here. Just saying that yah it would have been nice to have a juco step in and play day 1 if possible.
I’m kind of expecting them to move Eisworth to FS. IIRC, that’s the play calling spot for the secondary, and he’s the guy with the experience for it.

Langston (and Beau Freyler both, when they committed) said he was being recruited for the Star spot. Which is part of the reason why I’d expect Isheem to be moved to SS when Eisworth goes to FS.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I’m kind of expecting them to move Eisworth to FS. IIRC, that’s the play calling spot for the secondary, and he’s the guy with the experience for it.

Langston (and Beau Freyler both, when they committed) said he was being recruited for the Star spot. Which is part of the reason why I’d expect Isheem to be moved to SS when Eisworth goes to FS.

Not to be ignorant (I just showed I am!) but what is the Star position?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Did I read correctly with the Ben Langston de-commit, we now have ZERO Juco's in the 2021 class? When was the last time that happened? I realize in some cases the need for Juco's is less when more transfers, especially grad transfers with immediate eligibility (is that actually all transfers now?) are available. Just thought that statistic was a real indication of the progress of the program!

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
It is the fifth d-back that plays more of a hybrid safety/linebacker role.

So how is that different than the traditional "nickelback"? I guess that was generally another CB or S replacing a linebacker. Is the Star more of a DB/LB hybrid, or is this just a new term to confuse us old guys?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So how is that different than the traditional "nickelback"? I guess that was generally another CB or S replacing a linebacker. Is the Star more of a DB/LB hybrid, or is this just a new term to confuse us old guys?
A nickleback generally comes in when the offense is playing 4 or 5 wide for coverage purposes. A Star generally plays pretty much full time often even in obvious rushing downs so he will take on more of a LB role on many downs. Generally to be an effective Star you have to have a strong mix of S and LB skills.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberJJJ

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
A nickleback generally comes in when the offense is playing 4 or 5 wide for coverage purposes. A Star generally plays pretty much full time often even in obvious rushing downs so he will take on more of a LB role on many downs. Generally to be an effective Star you have to have a strong mix of S and LB skills.

I appreciate the patient education! I also think the Johnny Orr quote may be my all-time favorite!

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008

Nickelback are usually 3rd corner. Star are usually strong safety/linebacker hybrid.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Did I read correctly with the Ben Langston de-commit, we now have ZERO Juco's in the 2021 class? When was the last time that happened? I realize in some cases the need for Juco's is less when more transfers, especially grad transfers with immediate eligibility (is that actually all transfers now?) are available. Just thought that statistic was a real indication of the progress of the program!

It used to be that a juco player was the only way to fill a hole in your team on short notice. The softening of transfer and grad student eligibility rules has impacted jucos a bunch.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Is the Nickelback position the inspiration for the name of that awful band from Canada?

• Haha
Reactions: cyputz

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I would add on to Velos post:

Yeah, the Star is a combination of a Strong Safety and weak side linebacker. A nickelback is coming in on pass coverage and you pull a linebacker generally. In the old days of the 5 man fronts they would get Monster name. Sometimes Rambler. They a tweener. Think of playing a strong safety as a linebacker, they will take pass coverage when needed, not as first response.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I would add on to Velos post:

Yeah, the Star is a combination of a Strong Safety and weak side linebacker. A nickelback is coming in on pass coverage and you pull a linebacker generally. In the old days of the 5 man fronts they would get Monster name. Sometimes Rambler. They a tweener. Think of playing a strong safety as a linebacker, they will take pass coverage when needed, not as first response.
Since our base has 5 DBs wouldn't our nickel technically be a dime?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron