We Are the Champions!

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
I just called a couple of hok buddies, not to gloat, but to say I never thought this would ever happen for us. They were complimentary and couldn't dispute the fact that we are the regular season champions of the Big 12. No asterisks were needed. No "well this is a weird season." We didn't back into this. We won it outright. I was at ISU in the days of Earle Bruce and throwing oranges onto the field after every touchdown. Honestly, this is humbling and we should be thankful for our good fortune.

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
I bet your '94 season was a blast in the student section at 0-10-1.

That's worse than 0-11 somehow. Last season ties were even allowed and 0-10-1.
The '94 season kicked off a 5 year run that went 0-10-1, 3-8, 2-9, 1-10, 3-8. Those seasons coincided with my years as a student at ISU. I will NEVER take what CMC has done for this program for granted. Ever.

Brett44

Nov 26, 2014
I really can’t put into words the shock I am in that this is where our program is.

So happy for all cyclone fans and so proud of my alma matter.

I can't put it into words either. This team was successful.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Y’know, whoever the new stadium announcer is, I think that I could get used to a slightly difference call down the road:

“That’s another Cyclone...Conference Crown!”
Tonight was his last night.

8 conference wins in a season.... before Campbell showed up it took 4 or 5 seasons to get to 8? His conference wins in three seasons has to be close to .... decades? of conference wins in the past? Anyone have the stats on that?
I have been in Jack Trice for every game since 1997, and lived in KC for 8 of those years. I grew up 20 miles from Iowa City. To think that this has actually happened after what I've seen, is shocking. I think we will win in 2 weeks, but to think that we aren't the "regular season champs" is ridiculous. So we beat every team except one. And if we do happen to lose to OU we end up splitting the head-to-head. But like someone said earlier, if a 6-3 team beats a 9-0 team you all feel the 6-3 team would be the better team? I have never liked the thought that a single tournament or championship game means more than the regular season. It should be like basketball where both deserve a crown.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
1. I realize that the champion will be crowned at the game in 2 weeks, but I don't give a ****, I will go to my grave saying we won the regular season title.

2. We are just a really, really good football team. The stuff that Breese and Charlie and Brock and Mike and a lot of other guys on this team are doing is incredible. It's the type of stuff that players on other teams do against us.

3. I hate that we don't have 62,000 people in the stands to be able to see this. I hate that I haven't been able to share this in person with my parents and my siblings. But there's something kind of special about this happening in such a **** show of a year.

4. What an amazing home season for weather! My mom has become very bitter about having to miss 6 incredible weather days for home games this year. I just think of the rain and snow and heat and cold that there has been over the last 4 years and this year, when no one can come, you could not have ordered better weather in Ames.

Brett44

Nov 26, 2014
Tonight was his last night.

I have been in Jack Trice for every game since 1997, and lived in KC for 8 of those years. I grew up 20 miles from Iowa City. To think that this has actually happened after what I've seen, is shocking. I think we will win in 2 weeks, but to think that we aren't the "regular season champs" is ridiculous. So we beat every team except one. And if we do happen to lose to OU we end up splitting the head-to-head. But like someone said earlier, if a 6-3 team beats a 9-0 team you all feel the 6-3 team would be the better team? I have never liked the thought that a single tournament or championship game means more than the regular season. It should be like basketball where both deserve a crown.

we'll beat them again

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I never though we would see this kind of success either. 5-4 or 6-3 would be a high water mark.

My dad passed in 2011. He double majored at ISU in the late 50's and graduated with degrees in Civil and Chemical engineering. He was a HUGE ISU fan his entire life. He would have been so jacked if he were still around.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
1. I realize that the champion will be crowned at the game in 2 weeks, but I don't give a ****, I will go to my grave saying we won the regular season title.

Not being snarky... but why?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
When the Big 12 announced the round robin, how many of us thought 8-1 was ever possible?
I didn't!
The funny thing, is I think this format benefits a team like Iowa State!
Not sure how or why, but I like it!