8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
One of the more interesting items damaged I have seen. My sisters kitchen cabinets are now crooked and won't close leaving us wondering if the wind shifted or twisted the house some.

I don't think there is an "if" about that. :oops:

Back in my carpenter days I was working on the house next door when a yuge wind storm twisted the framing including the interior stair tower that went all the way to a flat roof top deck. We ended up sheathing the interior of the stairwell with 1/2 plywood rather than just sheet rock to firm things back up (suggested by a structural engineer that architect had look at it). Maybe remember it after almost 4 decades because I smashed my thumb with a 24 oz framing hammer nailing 10d nails into that sheathing. Damn, structural engineer "Nope, 8d not long enough must used harder to nail 10d" Course today it would all be nail guns and what not. Remember seeing the waffle pattern on my thumb before I started swearing.

Last edited:

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
My wife's grandparents live over by the Marion pool. Wednesday night they got power for about 20 minutes before it went back out. This morning it came back on for an hour or so before going back out again.

I grew up about two blocks due north of the pool. ive been wondering what it looks like in that area and how much damage there is/was to my old hood

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I also got tired of sitting around yesterday with the power off and took a little ride on my scooter to Oxford Junction, Massillon and Lowden. Of those Massillon seemed to be the hardest hit. Between there and Lowden there was a stretch of power poles about two miles long that were all snapped off and lying in the field to the East. Well, actually there was a stretch of 4 poles still standing in there but nothing even touched yet. This seemed to be slightly higher distribution lines than normal rural stuff.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I grew up about two blocks due north of the pool. ive been wondering what it looks like in that area and how much damage there is/was to my old hood

Not as bad as the older areas west of there but that of course meant that the houses started taking more of a beating compared to the trees.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I wonder if this is what it's like on original Sim City when I refuse to build another power plant.

This is like the original Sim City after you use the FUNDS cheat too many times and Godzilla comes and stomps around.

• Funny
Reactions: isufbcurt

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Trump is about an hour out and the pool reports that he will only be there for about an hour.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Trump is about an hour out and the pool reports that he will only be there for about an hour.

He's supposed to do a TV interview with Beth Malicki, which will be interesting.

I also read this morning that Mayor Hart has banned Malicki and KCRG from media requests until they take down an article from last week about not requesting the National Guard.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
He's supposed to do a TV interview with Beth Malicki, which will be interesting.

I also read this morning that Mayor Hart has banned Malicki and KCRG from media requests until they take down an article from last week about not requesting the National Guard.
petty.

and not surprising from Hart.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Definitely seems like he's got his priorities straight.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Due to Trump running nearly an hour late he cancelled all local interviews so he can get back on schedule for his campaign event in Yuma.

roughly 45 minute scripted round table with no democrats (Abby was excluded even though it is her district but Ashley her competitor in November was there). Heading back to the plane now.

I did go out to show my son the plane.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
An email from mid American says they’ve now restored power to nearly all of the 280,000 customers without power. They had 2100 people out doing restoration work between them and their service partners. They said they’ll be sending a portion of those people into Cedar Rapids now to help their providers out. Hopefully that influx of workers speeds up the timeline.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So the NWS says that the 1993 floods caused $15 billion in damages, and was the cause of 50 deaths. Assuming the $15 billion is 1993 dollars, in today's dollars that would be $26.8 billion.
I wouldnt be surprised if this topped that