Vehicle Fuel Range

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Curious how much people trust the fuel range their vehicle tells them. Personally, knowing my brother had run out of fuel a few times in his old car when the range said 15 miles, and my dad's old truck would go from a range of 50 miles to 0 in about 10 miles, I didnt trust it much, so I put a gallon of gas in my trunk and tested it. After I drove about 15 miles with the range saying 0 I pulled into a gas station and filled up. Pump stopped and was still about half of a gallon short of the tank capacity. While it's extremely rare for me to drive until it says zero miles, it's comforting to know that I don't need to worry too much about running out of fuel if the range gets low.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Depends on where I am, what I'm doing (Road Trip vs in town, heavy vs light traffic, etc), and what vehicle I'm driving.

Generally speaking once the light comes on I'm looking for a gas station in town. On road trips I'm looking for a fuel station with around 100-75 miles left on the range estimate.

The rangemeter in my truck always tells me I can ~500 on a tank in my truck but whenever I fill it up with 50 miles left on the rangemeter (light / low fuel warning) I only ever seem to theoretically make it to a total of about 450.

My jeep on the other hand if the low fuel light comes on I'm looking for a gas station ASAP. Depending on which way the wind is blowing I could be looking at 30 miles max range left.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We ran our 2010 Grand Caravan to when the readout said 3. That's as close as I ever want to get to empty!!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'd trust it a lot more in a modern vehicle than something even 10 years old. They are better able to measure, record and analyze the fuel injection for estimating usage rates. I still use the idiot light more than the range info. Once the light turns on, I find a gas station ASAP unless in know I'll pass one in the next 10 miles or so.

One thing they can't take into account yet though, as far as I know, is your upcoming terrain. So if you're about to go up a big grade that will take more fuel to maintain speed, it will underestimate how much fuel you use and overestimate your range (and reverse for downhill).

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Depends on where I am, what I'm doing (Road Trip vs in town, heavy vs light traffic, etc), and what vehicle I'm driving.

Generally speaking once the light comes on I'm looking for a gas station in town. On road trips I'm looking for a fuel station with around 100-75 miles left on the range estimate.

The rangemeter in my truck always tells me I can ~500 on a tank in my truck but whenever I fill it up with 50 miles left on the rangemeter (light / low fuel warning) I only ever seem to theoretically make it to a total of about 450.

My jeep on the other hand if the low fuel light comes on I'm looking for a gas station ASAP. Depending on which way the wind is blowing I could be looking at 30 miles max range left.

Always carry a filled gas can if you drive a Jeep.

ded17c4d18d0bfb2764df22be8fd27def5b55cff6abbd54b9ce2d6e3d79ef5ae_1.jpg

Reactions: wxman1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We ran our 2010 Grand Caravan to when the readout said 3. That's as close as I ever want to get to empty!!
About a month ago I had to take the daughter somewhere and of course she made us late so I couldn't get gas before I took her to her destination. The car flipped over to 0 miles when I was about 1 mile from the gas station and I still made it. That is as close as I have ever gotten with a car with the X miles to empty readout.

It's my own damned fault, I should have known that she could never be ready on time.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This is exactly opposite of my personality. I rarely go below 1/4 tank, have never ran out of gas, and probably only went in the red zone a handful of times. I'm the same way with about everything in my life. Can't remember ever being below 20% on my phone, pay bills early, arrive at events early, etc.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This is exactly opposite of my personality. I rarely go below 1/4 tank, have never ran out of gas, and probably only went in the red zone a handful of times. I'm the same way with about everything in my life. Can't remember ever being below 20% on my phone, pay bills early, arrive at events early, etc.
The phone bit is the most remarkable part of this whole thing.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015

Didn't even realize some would give a reading that low. All recent vehicles I've had all get to a point where they just say "low", almost as a disclaimer so you don't over trust the range remaining and end up empty on the side of the road.

And I know it's the "I bet you're a lot of fun at a party" comment, but definitely a good practice to not let the light come on or the mileage remaining count to get too low every time before filling up.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The tank in my F-150 holds 36 gallons (in theory, never tested it). But I rarely let it get more than half empty, because it's too painful to fill it. Although it's not as bad as it was a couple years ago.

I generally trust the mileage, but that's not to say I've ever confirmed it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The tank in my F-150 holds 36 gallons (in theory, never tested it). But I rarely let it get more than half empty, because it's too painful to fill it. Although it's not as bad as it was a couple years ago.

Damn what’s the range on that ***** on the highway?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston

I have the same tank, getting ready to fill up for only the 2nd time since middle of March.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
As a pilot you have to know the total gallons the tank holds as well as usable. I have never been able to find much on usable amounts for car tanks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just went to Wisconsin on vacation last week and averaged 21.9 MPG (mostly highway miles). So math would say around 788 miles.

Im working on my garage right now to be able to fit a full size pickup. It would be awesome if my next vehicle could get me from CBUS to DSM without having to stop for gas (646 miles).

Help Support Us

Become a patron