Makale Foreman Grad Transfer

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Let's assume we land JCL and Foreman...With addition of JCL, Foreman and Javon J along with 4 new frosh we have significantly upgraded the roster compared to last year IMO and its not close.

JCL is a solid SG for most teams...Kid had some really good games vs some really good teams.

Foreman shot 36% from 3 last year..not terrible.

We need to upgrade athleticism...3pt shooting...and defense. Adding JCL and Foreman with Javon certainly adds to 3pt shooting and athleticism..defense who knows.

3 pt made per game last year:
JCL- 2
Foreman- 3
Bolton- 1.5
Tre- 1.0

Doesn't include if T Harris gets waiver...Take into account XF is def gonna be shooting 3's..Tre J should def improve quite bit year 1 - 2.

Still have to land JCL and Foreman or the like.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I think JCL averaging 10-12 points would be the expectation as the Big East is a very good conference. However, I continue to be amazed by the expectations for Johnson (Troy transfer). If he averages anymore than 8 pts and 4 rebounds I would be surprised. He is a good piece but also shot 38% from the field at Troy against Sun Belt competition. The point forward comment makes no sense at all to me. He has played in 59 games at Troy. In that time he has 67 assists and 89 turnovers. There is zero evidence outside of practice banter that he can consistently initiate offense and create opportunities for others.
Well **** it why even play next season?

Reactions: HoustonClone

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I think JCL averaging 10-12 points would be the expectation as the Big East is a very good conference. However, I continue to be amazed by the expectations for Johnson (Troy transfer). If he averages anymore than 8 pts and 4 rebounds I would be surprised. He is a good piece but also shot 38% from the field at Troy against Sun Belt competition. The point forward comment makes no sense at all to me. He has played in 59 games at Troy. In that time he has 67 assists and 89 turnovers. There is zero evidence outside of practice banter that he can consistently initiate offense and create opportunities for others.

They didn't use him in the way Prohm prob will. I don't think Javon will be some 3pt marksman at all..He will be a 6'6-7 is slasher and scorer..But he ran the point at ISU on scout team last year and his year off sounds like he's improved quite a bit. He could be a 10ppg kid.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I would certainly like that, however I think Bolton takes a big jump from last year to next. I think Johnson will be 2nd in scoring, and Solo / hypothetically JCL not far behind Johnson.
I would love to see Conditt be the leading scorer next year. If he shortens some of his movements, doesn't rush his shot, and lets the ball roll off his fingers there's so much to work with there.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
True. I actually haven't thought of him playing a point forward for us.. I guess there was some talk of him playing the PG spot for the scout team so that's good to hear that he was handling the ball a lot in scrimmages.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Well **** it why even play next season?
The freshmen class is the key to Prohm’s tenure. JCL would be worth a couple additional wins. But IMO taking Foreman really only takes away reps from Tre and the freshmen. Foreman is a chucker. If he is a good shooter then why doesn’t he shoot better than 40% from the field? Is he going to shoot better against better defenders? It’s like the Moneyball quote; “If he is a good hitter then why doesn’t he hit the ball?”

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
They didn't use him in the way Prohm prob will. I don't think Javon will be some 3pt marksman at all..He will be a 6'6-7 is slasher and scorer..But he ran the point at ISU on scout team last year and his year off sounds like he's improved quite a bit. He could be a 10ppg kid.

don't fall for it BB - a 10ppg scorer from troy isn't going to suddenly be a difference maker in the b12. kid has played against like 4 p5 schools in his life...

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So was the 36.7% from the new 3 line pretty good.. Nixon's problem was when they moved the line back he could not deal with the new range well So I am thinking this kid is already a much more improved shooter than Nixon.

mejumpingamotorcycleoveracreditcard.gif

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Anyone honestly thinking JCL is bad at basketball needs to get a grip. The dude averaged 11.5 in the Big East and had his best performances come against high quality competition. The likelihood of him helping out our team next year is very high.

You completely missed what I was referring to! Never once said JCL wasn’t a good choice. I did say we shouldn’t settle for “basketball players” just because! Go back and look at the tape turbo!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You completely missed what I was referring to! Never once said JCL wasn’t a good choice. I did say we shouldn’t settle for “basketball players” just because! Go back and look at the tape turbo!
My comment wasn't necessarily pertaining just to you lol. It was towards a variety of posters who choose to look at the absolute worst case scenario almost every single time in regards to Iowa State basketball. Sorry for the confusion as well as the accusation I might've had.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The guy should not have shot 3's clearly it was out of his range. That is poor shot selection. I mean you could have Conditt hoisting up open 3's, does not mean an open 3 from him is a good shot.
Fair enough, I understand.
Unlike others, I often saw a guy trying to make something happen for his team - a team very short on creators. I think many would have a different opinion of him if he had more talent around him. But, yes, not a very good shooter.

Reactions: heitclone

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I have no idea, I just think expectations for JJ are waaaay to high. He was an avg player for a low level team. I hope he's a legit b12 role player.

The expectations I've seen are like 8-10 ppg and 4-5 rebounds coming off a sit out year. I don't think that's too high

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Sometimes new systems, coaches, and team mates make a pretty big difference for basketball players too.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
I continue to be amazed by the expectations for Johnson (Troy transfer). If he averages anymore than 8 pts and 4 rebounds I would be surprised. He is a good piece but also shot 38% from the field at Troy against Sun Belt competition. The point forward comment makes no sense at all to me. He has played in 59 games at Troy. In that time he has 67 assists and 89 turnovers. There is zero evidence outside of practice banter that he can consistently initiate offense and create opportunities for others.
I could not agree with this more. I have very tempered expectations for Javan and hope he can be a impact player but I absolutely will wait until I see it happen on the court before I pencil him in as a starter, let alone a top 3 scorer on our team like many assume. Obviously, I would love to be wrong and will gladly eat crow if he proves to be that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I could not agree with this more. I have very tempered expectations for Javan and hope he can be a impact player but I absolutely will wait until I see it happen on the court before I pencil him in as a starter, let alone a top 3 scorer on our team like many assume. Obviously, I would love to be wrong and will gladly eat crow if he proves to be that, but I'll believe it when I see it.

lol he’s starting.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
lol he’s starting.
I'm sure he will but I'd like to see him prove it rather than out of necessity before I anoint him as a 10-12 ppg player coming from the Sun Belt. THT averaged 11.8, I don't see that out of Javan.

Reactions: WhoISthis

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I'm sure he will but I'd like to see him prove it rather than out of necessity before I anoint him as a 10-12 ppg player coming from the Sun Belt. THT averaged 11.8, I don't see that out of Javan.

Don't think most have been higher than 10 ppg on JJ projections. It's good the staff was pleased with his progress during his sit out year. We really need his perimeter length defensively as well as his shooting offensively. I think the "point forward" comments are being blown out of proportion on the message boards but hopefully he possesses some playmaking capabilities.

Javan will be turning 22 at the beginning of Big 12 play. THT turned 18 after Maui.

Reactions: ATCy