Makale Foreman Grad Transfer

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
He can shoot at a good clip and you have 3 schollies. You take him if you have a role for him and he is in agreement

Can he defend or rebound? If so, do not want...

421pib.jpg

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we've officially hit the point of "beggars can't be choosers".

He's a basketball player. We need basketball players. Good, bad or indifferent, we probably take him at this point.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

He's a basketball player. We need basketball players. Good, bad or indifferent, we probably take him at this point.

I don't think the staff views it that way. They have been on JCL and Foreman as soon as they announced (Harris too). They missed on their top 3 GT priorities Turner, Aiken and Gomez available early but for all we know they like the fit of Foreman and JCL almost as much. If anything the staff didn't totally panic and take a poor transfer and waited for guys they believe can help.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't think the staff views it that way. They have been on JCL and Foreman as soon as they announced (Harris too). They missed on their top 3 GT priorities Turner, Aiken and Gomez available early but for all we know they like the fit of Foreman and JCL almost as much. If anything the staff didn't totally panic and take a poor transfer and waited for guys they believe can help.

I'd be more excited for JCL than Foreman. I guess I just don't see the appeal of an undersized small conference guard with pretty inefficient shooting numbers.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009

I’m 6’8 (I know not 6’10”) and play basketball - doesn’t mean I’m worth a crap! I’m not!!

We had a team full of “basketball players” last year, how did that turn out?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m 6’8 (I know not 6’10”) and play basketball - doesn’t mean I’m worth a crap! I’m not!!

We had a team full of “basketball players” last year, how did that turn out?
Anyone honestly thinking JCL is bad at basketball needs to get a grip. The dude averaged 11.5 in the Big East and had his best performances come against high quality competition. The likelihood of him helping out our team next year is very high.

Reactions: Cytown12

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
If JCL comes to Iowa State he WILL be the leading scorer next season with Bolton not far behind.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If JCL comes to Iowa State he WILL be the leading scorer next season with Bolton not far behind.
I would certainly like that, however I think Bolton takes a big jump from last year to next. I think Johnson will be 2nd in scoring, and Solo / hypothetically JCL not far behind Johnson.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
We're in a league of porsches and ferraris, and yet we have 100 posts about how we should tweak the suspension or change the tires on our beat up camaro. Like that is going to make a difference.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Anyone honestly thinking JCL is bad at basketball needs to get a grip. The dude averaged 11.5 in the Big East and had his best performances come against high quality competition. The likelihood of him helping out our team next year is very high.
I like JCL and hope we get him. I'm fine if we don't end up with Foreman, but if we do pick him up, meh, whatever.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not saying he absolutely won't be the next Nixon, I'm just trying to cool some of the heads that like to say "Oh god we're getting the next Nixon or Beverly. This guy isn't going to bring anything to the table." And I realize this is a message board and it's for opinionated arguments. My argument, from my point of view, would be that I like this guy and don't think he's going to come to Iowa State and shoot 28% from beyond the arc and turn into the next punching bag on Twitter and CycloneFanatic. He's longer, more athletic, and played solid in the Big East last year. If you want to hang your hat on that he's the next coming of Prentiss, by all means go ahead.

I think there is a significant difference between Coleman-Lands and Foreman. One is likely to be a slightly above average starter on a Big 12 squad consistent with his stints at DePaul and Illinois. The other (Foreman) is a chucker who is absolutely in the same mold of Nixon (analytically worse). To those that defend Foreman, I would love to hear thoughts on how he becomes a better shooter at a significantly higher level when the defenders will have more length.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'd be more excited for JCL than Foreman. I guess I just don't see the appeal of an undersized small conference guard with pretty inefficient shooting numbers.

Pretty inefficient shooting numbers is being too kind. What about the negative asst:TO numbers for a guy that played 83% of his time at the pg position last year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think there is a significant difference between Coleman-Lands and Foreman. One is likely to be a slightly above average starter on a Big 12 squad consistent with his stints at DePaul and Illinois. The other (Foreman) is a chucker who is absolutely in the same mold of Nixon (analytically worse). To those that defend Foreman, I would love to hear thoughts on how he becomes a better shooter at a significantly higher level when the defenders will have more length.
I mean I guess I would take Foreman as someone that might be able to come in and provide a spark (don't see a huge difference between what he is now and what we expect Tre3 to be though). We have that scholarship to use and it's only for one year, but yeah I was referencing JCL above. He's who I think could seriously help out the team next year. Not in that he's going to be unbelievable, but that he's a proven starter from a very good conference.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I would certainly like that, however I think Bolton takes a big jump from last year to next. I think Johnson will be 2nd in scoring, and Solo / hypothetically JCL not far behind Johnson.

I think JCL averaging 10-12 points would be the expectation as the Big East is a very good conference. However, I continue to be amazed by the expectations for Johnson (Troy transfer). If he averages anymore than 8 pts and 4 rebounds I would be surprised. He is a good piece but also shot 38% from the field at Troy against Sun Belt competition. The point forward comment makes no sense at all to me. He has played in 59 games at Troy. In that time he has 67 assists and 89 turnovers. There is zero evidence outside of practice banter that he can consistently initiate offense and create opportunities for others.