Makale Foreman Grad Transfer

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The only thing I like about Foreman is that he only ties up a scholarship for one season. A year from now we can use that scholly again and hopefully upgrade. In the meantime, he's a body to practice against and provide some support for our guys if fatigue becomes an issue. But I really don't expect him to come in and be good against Big 12 teams when he was so inefficient American East competition, which is arguably a step down even from Missouri Valley. If he has to play a lot of minutes for us, we won't be good.

This seems like the type of guy we made fun of Iowa for taking last year as a grad transfer--- Bacardi Evelyn. Hated to type that

Evelyn chose Iowa over Portland State and had no interest whatsoever when he entered the portal. Horrible comparison

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
The only thing I like about Foreman is that he only ties up a scholarship for one season. A year from now we can use that scholly again and hopefully upgrade. In the meantime, he's a body to practice against and provide some support for our guys if fatigue becomes an issue. But I really don't expect him to come in and be good against Big 12 teams when he was so inefficient American East competition, which is arguably a step down even from Missouri Valley. If he has to play a lot of minutes for us, we won't be good.

This seems like the type of guy we made fun of Iowa for taking last year as a grad transfer--- Bacardi Evelyn. Hated to type that
Evelyn showed no reason at all for people to think he was good at anything. At least Foreaman Looks like he can shoot the 3 decent.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Evelyn averaged 8.4 pts, 2.1 assists, on 33.6% shooting, 30.6% from 3 his junior year at Valparaiso (shorter 3pt. line).

Foreman averaged 15.6pts, 2.0 assists, on 36.5% shooting, 36.0% from 3 (new 3pt line) his junior year at Stony Brook.

Foreman is a much better offensive player than Evelyn was.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Evelyn averaged 8.4 pts, 2.1 assists, on 33.6% shooting, 30.6% from 3 his junior year at Valparaiso (shorter 3pt. line).

Foreman averaged 15.6pts, 2.0 assists, on 36.5% shooting, 36.0% from 3 (new 3pt line) his junior year at Stony Brook.

Iowa wasn't bringing in Evelyn to compete for a starting spot. It was a depth move knowing Bohannon would likely have a shortened season.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Evelyn chose Iowa over Portland State and had no interest whatsoever when he entered the portal. Horrible comparison
That's not true. He had interest from Cal, MN, Cincinnati and Rhode Island. A very similar list to Foreman.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

He might be a bit better, but they're in the same ball park imo. Depth adds are fine, but if this guy has to play 20 mpg or higher for us, we're in trouble

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah I think homerun is a little over the top probably. Shayok and Kane were absolute homeruns. You really can't get any better than they were. We don't need him to be that good for us to be a tournament team imo. We need him to be solid and be a net positive at the end of the year. If he exceeds that expectation.. awesome!

I don't think we should polarize some of these guys though without them even playing a minute for us, let alone even commit to us. We shouldn't expect them to perform at a Nixon level and good lord we shouldn't assume they'll be a Beverly either. We also shouldn't expect them to be all-world like Kane and Shayok were. I'm totally fine with him being somewhere in the middle.

Kane wasn't a home run when he committed. We thought he'd be useful but I don't think anyone thought he'd be THAT good.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
So we’re better off with just open scholarships instead right?

We might be, especially if Prohm has two years. I would have rather run the **** out of the freshmen last year than play Nixon. We would have been better off for next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So we’re better off with just open scholarships instead right?
Wrong. I said he'd be a good practice body and end of bench option for depth in case of fatigue, foul trouble, or injury. But if he is going to have to play a lot of minutes, kiss any hope of being a competitive team goodbye.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Wrong. I said he'd be a good practice body and end of bench option for depth in case of fatigue, foul trouble, or injury. But if he is going to have to play a lot of minutes, kiss any hope of being a competitive team goodbye.
So if he comes in and legit wins the Starting PG spot because he is the best of the bunch isn't that a good thing? Or would you want someone who theoretically got beat out to start starting instead?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

He'd be fine.

I don't know why people feel the need to crap on potential transfers. It is what it is, and it's better to have the spot filled by a 1 year guy, regardless of how good he is, than just have it be empty. Especially when the guy can shoot it.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I seem to remember people complaining about shooting last year, but complain when we might get a shooter?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
So if he comes in and legit wins the Starting PG spot because he is the best of the bunch isn't that a good thing? Or would you want someone who theoretically got beat out to start starting instead?
He won't

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
By that measure, getting Nixon was a good thing. And he was if the only alternatives were nothing or a worse player.

It’s two different questions. Is it a good thing in the sense it’s going to work out well? Or, is it a good thing in the sense there are worse scenarios?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He'd be fine.

I don't know why people feel the need to crap on potential transfers. It is what it is, and it's better to have the spot filled by a 1 year guy, regardless of how good he is, than just have it be empty. Especially when the guy can shoot it.
I mean, we seem like a no-brainer for him based on that list.

He was 11th out of 13 on his team for defensive rating...

Foreman is an absolute hard pass unless we are going to miss on JCL. He is an absolute chucker and honestly his minutes would be best served to develop the freshmen and Tre and see what we have.
In 10 consecutive games in the America East Conference from Mid-January to Mid-February this is what you got from the field:

Game 1 Binghamton (3-15)
Game 2 UMASS-Lowell (5-14)
Game 3 UMBC. (6-18)
Game 4 UMASS-Lowell (2-13)
Game 5 New Hampshire (5-21)
Game 6 Binghamton (4-17)
Game 7 Vermont (3-15)
Game 8 Maine (4-12)
Game 9 Hartford (5-17)
Game 10 Albany. (5-16)

That ten game segment he was 42-158 from the field for 26.6%. His Asst:TO was 23:24 during that span. He was 23-87 from 3 pt range in this span for 26.4%.

Good shooters or even average shooters don’t have slumps like this in the America East and this have success by transferring up. Sorry he would be a bigger issue then Nixon and I despised that pickup at the time.

Kids that average 14 shot attempts a game and are transferring to their 3rd school aren’t going to be content with a role off the bench. Chuckers are chuckers and if they get 10 minutes a game they will try and force up 4-5 shots in that time frame. I would think CSP would have learned.

I quoted these 2 posts to reference that while yes he can shoot, he's going to be inefficient while doing it. And nobody is talking enough in this thread about him ranking 11th out of 13th on his team in defense. That puts him as bad defensively as American East Conference walk ons. I bet Terrence Lewis could've averaged 15 ppg in that conference while playing defense just as bad as Foreman. I'm just not seeing anything here to get excited about, but I'm trying.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron