Terrence Lewis transferring

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I think the exasperated reactions are more due to the fact we are having to turn over such a high percentage of our roster due to not being Big 12 caliber players. The recruiting misses, coupled with lack of development, are really starting to add up, and the transfer/JuCo landscape is such that you don't just get your pick of the litter any more.The idea that there are impact transfers and JuCo's just lining up to come play for us is silly.

So I don't think the exasperation is "how are we going to ever win without Grill/Griffin/Lewis" as much is it is a realization that our program is in a bad, bad place right now and it's extremely unlikely that you can drum up the talent in one off season to make us relevant again. So the question becomes who is willing to sign up for a longer rebuild with a coach who has already had two historically bad season out of the last 3?
Ultimately can't really disagree with this (might quibble that some have developed well, but that's clearly outweighed by too many misses), and I'm not going to try to gaslight anyone that success is likely. But, as Lloyd (Jim Carrey) said, I'm telling you there's a chance...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This sucks, but at least these were back-of-the-bench guys on a good team.

I remember when we had a future All-American transfer on us.

That was brutal.

Prohm's seat is rightfully warm right now, but he is still better than McD ever was.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
I've teetered back and forth on Prohm. As with most of you, I love him as a human being. And I keep telling myself he lost A LOT from last year's squad. This, however, is a sign of the state inside the program. It's time. No matter how much it costs, it's time.

grill and Lewis leaving swayed you, not losing by 30 at Hilton and getting beat by Florida School of the Blind at Hilton?

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
This sucks, but at least these were back-of-the-bench guys on a good team.

I remember when we had a future All-American transfer on us.

That was brutal.

Prohm's seat is rightfully warm right now, but he is still better than McD ever was.
He is also worse than McDermott ever was. He has 2 seasons now with less wins than McDermott's lowest win total.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
This is sad, but not unfortunate. Lewis was the founding member of the Doesn't Buy In team. Fun to watch when he was in, but even more prone to giving up a big play as he was to make one himself. I wonder if he can grad and transfer, or maybe he gets a waiver to play immediately closer to home. Somewhere like UW Milwaukee or Green Bay

Uh, or to make one (see dunk in Big 12 tourney) followed by giving up one (flex the crowd as competitor player zooms past on way to game winning bucket at the other end) in essentially the same play or sequence.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He is also worse than McDermott ever was. He has 2 seasons now with less wins than McDermott's lowest win total.

Shallow metric.

McD played 16 games in conference. Prohm plays 18.

The Big 12 used to have a lot of junk, hopeless programs at the bottom. No longer.

McD never played an OOC schedule like the one we just played, too.

Put the best McD team on the court versus the 2018 or the 2020 Prohm teams, and I bet the set of them are all pretty evenly matched with one another.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Not even close

Again, McDermott beat 1 RANKED TEAM in whatever the 6 years he was here.

Honestly you can gripe that you don't have Big 12 players, but then you can't be pissed when those non-big 12 players leave. I'm willing to give the guy one more recruiting cycle, but Grill got plenty of opportunities and couldnt shoot. Griffen and Lewis never could get it together. Willing to take a chance on a new crop for next year but with a short leash.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Lewis, Griffin, Grill - 3 midwest kids, above average shooting ability (coming in), decent size and athleticism. Prohm was just not able to turn them into productive players in 1, 2 or 3 years. Is that the player? The coach? Both?

So now we're going to bring out new frosh, and other newcomers, and somehow Prohm is going to get these guys to play at a b12 level in one year? Good luck....

In this scenario, my concern is that it seems to take Steve awhile, longer than many, to settle on a line-up as he puts the pieces together. I think he can mold a team but it takes a while. It seems like he sticks with his original plan on line longer than others, before experimenting with different starting line-ups for sure, and to some extent combinations.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
No I don't think so either. I think Prohm's going to go all in, because maybe he doesn't have a choice.. Maybe Jamie gave him an ultimatum? No clue, but I think Prohm is reloading this reload this roster with JUCO / transfers, and then is going to plug in the freshman to contribute some as well. That freshman class right now looks to be something to build off of and if he can have a good year next year by bringing in talented guys in the portal / JUCO, then this might work out. It will only work out if next year goes well and then this freshman class stays together more than 1 or 2 years.

My question will be if his loyalty to his coaching staff gets in the way of him making any changes there?

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think the exasperated reactions are more due to the fact we are having to turn over such a high percentage of our roster due to not being Big 12 caliber players. The recruiting misses, coupled with lack of development, are really starting to add up, and the transfer/JuCo landscape is such that you don't just get your pick of the litter any more.The idea that there are impact transfers and JuCo's just lining up to come play for us is silly.

So I don't think the exasperation is "how are we going to ever win without Grill/Griffin/Lewis" as much is it is a realization that our program is in a bad, bad place right now and it's extremely unlikely that you can drum up the talent in one off season to make us relevant again. So the question becomes who is willing to sign up for a longer rebuild with a coach who has already had two historically bad season out of the last 3?

This says it all.
We all know that Lewis isn't up to the Big 12, and neither was Griffin. It's that we don't have a conference-ready roster at all.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
What is Prohm’s coaching style? He’s not a player’s coach, he’s not an old school demander, he doesn’t preach the little things, and I always felt like he overcoached on the sidelines instead of letting players play.

I think players nowadays want a head coach with a style and I have no clue what Prohm’s is. I think he is a nice guy, but so was Wayne Morgan.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Two non-shooting big men at the same time... not sure that ends well.

Not sure I want to see either of them defending on the perimeter.

Solomon is at his best on the block, using that big body to create or deny space to the other team, and Conditt is at his best looking for blocks.

Those advantages are completely gone if they are guarding a 4 on the wing.

While i agree Solomon is our best muscle in the post, he actually showed some outside range the past few years. I wouldn't be any more nervous of him shooting a three than Pete.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron