Are we being to harsh

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
no genius. But you don’t need to rip on kids on a fan site.

But the best news for you is since prohm and most of the kids you have a problem with will be back next year, you can save yourself all kinds of aggravation, and save yourself the pain of watching them.

I'm glad you're still able to watch ****** basketball coaches by a ****** coach with a smile on your face while thinking to yourself man this guy blows 13 or 14 more games and I'm out of here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He's a good enough coach. Any scouting of Purdue would show Swanigan was too slow to keep up with Burton, and anyone smaller would get destroyed on the drive or the block.

The Cyclones erased a 19-point deficit in the second half

Burton scored 17 of his 25 points in the second half, putting on a show in his hometown of Milwaukee

Good coaches paid multimillions of dollars shouldn't need to wait until a half is over to figure things out.

What game does that remind me of? Oh, right:

They withstood a second-half push by the fourth-seeded Cyclones (23-12) after grabbing a big lead in the early going and advanced to their first regional final since 1995.

Maybe someday he'll figure things out and get players that are coachable and that he relates to.

"They came more focused than us tonight," Iowa State forward Cameron Lard said. "We didn't buy into the details the coach was telling us of not giving easy angles and all the little things."
"Good coaches paid multimillions of dollars shouldn't need to wait until a half is over to figure things out". Wait what? That's exactly how it works sometimes.. You sometimes need the half time to make the adjustments needed because it's far more complicated than just calling a timeout and say "alright Deonte you're going to play the 4 now". This isn't backyard basketball. It's a chess game.

Prohm made an adjustment and got his team leading the game with 3 minutes left. Purdue ended up winning the game but let's not act like we all wouldn't be praising Prohm for switching things up if we would've came out on top. We have no idea how Purdue might've changed things up had we gone to Deonte earlier. Matt Painter is a great coach and I can guarantee you he would've figured out something to counter it had he had a full half-time to figure it out.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
How is it fair to compare Prohm, who's been a head coach for 9 total years, to coaches that have done this for 20-30 years? Bob Huggins is in the top-10 for most wins of all time and you're trying to measure Prohm up against him..

Unfortunately for prohm, this is the level of coach he is competing against. Who else would he get compared to if not the coaches he is going up against?

• Agree
Reactions: Hoggins

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Unfortunately for prohm, this is the level of coach he is competing against. Who else would he get compared to if not the coaches he is going up against?
"Why can't he coach like one of the best coaches in NCAA history?" is a little over the top. I mean don't get me wrong this year is bad and it HAS to get better next year or else Prohm's most likely gone, but I'm not going to compare him to Bob Huggins lol.

And these past two years for WVU have actually been quite similar to the previous to years for us. A really bad year followed by a year where the team has fallen apart a little towards the end. See, even great coaches can have a weird couple of years.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm glad you're still able to watch ****** basketball coaches by a ****** coach with a smile on your face while thinking to yourself man this guy blows 13 or 14 more games and I'm out of here.
Look, we're either going to get better next year, look fun again, with Steve as the head coach, or we're going to have another sad season and Steve gets canned. Either way, you get to be happy right?

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Look, we're either going to get better next year, look fun again, with Steve as the head coach, or we're going to have another sad season and Steve gets canned. Either way, you get to be happy right?
No, because if he gets canned next year it means we had to put up with another bad year of basketball before the rebuild.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No, because if he gets canned next year it means we had to put up with another bad year of basketball before the rebuild.
Okay, so when should Prohm have gotten fired? His first year in which they made the Sweet 16? In 2016-2017 after winning the Big 12 Tournament, ending the year ranked and making the second round and losing by 4? 2017-2018 after missing the tournament once? 2018-2019 after winning the Big 12 Tournament ending the year ranked and losing in the first round by 3? This year for not making the tournament twice?

Has there been another coach that has been fired in 5 years with similar years to those and didn't get fired because of a scandal? I would honestly like to know that, because I don't think they have.

If your argument is that Prohm shouldn't have been hired in the first place, and it should've gone to TJ, I'd be fine with that. But Prohm deserves next year to right the ship.

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He's a good enough coach. Any scouting of Purdue would show Swanigan was too slow to keep up with Burton, and anyone smaller would get destroyed on the drive or the block.

The Cyclones erased a 19-point deficit in the second half

Burton scored 17 of his 25 points in the second half, putting on a show in his hometown of Milwaukee

Good coaches paid multimillions of dollars shouldn't need to wait until a half is over to figure things out.

What game does that remind me of? Oh, right:

They withstood a second-half push by the fourth-seeded Cyclones (23-12) after grabbing a big lead in the early going and advanced to their first regional final since 1995.

Maybe someday he'll figure things out and get players that are coachable and that he relates to.

"They came more focused than us tonight," Iowa State forward Cameron Lard said. "We didn't buy into the details the coach was telling us of not giving easy angles and all the little things."

Purdue also stopped hitting three's at a stupid good clip....

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

If it bothers you, don’t watch.

he’s going to be the coach next year. You and the crewe will continue to root for him to fail.

that’s not in the ballpark of a definition of a fan.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I am a fan, but when you lose to teams like florida A&M at home you should probably question the level of talent on your team and most importantly your coach. So in your way of thinking we should keep a coach and players because well there on the team let's just hope for the best...you think any of the blue bloods do that?

Wait, you think Iowa State, with one elite eight 20 years ago, and four sweet 16’s in school history, should consider themselves a blueblood?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Thanks prohm. You made him miss too.
I think some times people forget (including me) that the other team is out there trying to desperately win too. We're not running our offense on air or playing shell defense in practice.

Purdue was a very good team that year. Won the outright Big 10 Championship with Caleb Swanigan, the Big 10 player of the year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Ski06oi.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: IASTATE07 and Cycl1

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Okay, so when should Prohm have gotten fired? His first year in which they made the Sweet 16? In 2016-2017 after winning the Big 12 Tournament, ending the year ranked and making the second round and losing by 4? 2017-2018 after missing the tournament once? 2018-2019 after winning the Big 12 Tournament ending the year ranked and losing in the first round by 3? This year for not making the tournament twice?

Has there been another coach that has been fired in 5 years with similar years to those and didn't get fired because of a scandal? I would honestly like to know that, because I don't think they have.

If your argument is that Prohm shouldn't have been hired in the first place, and it should've gone to TJ, I'd be fine with that. But Prohm deserves next year to right the ship.
I get that he has "earned" next year, but I don't think that the large list of things we discussed earlier will all happen. This means we would have gone from going to like 7 straight tournaments to 1 of 4 years with at least 2 of those years being worse than anything McDermott ever did, and McDermott was deemed the death of Hilton magic. Ideally you would skip the damage done to our brand by having zero tournament wins since any of our future recruits have been in highschool, and start the rebuild immediately this year.

On the flip side I don't know how his firing would be perceived by candidates to replace him. If they will see it as having too short of a leash, or if they will see the downward trend and win lose record and see that prohms off years are reeeaaallly off.

Another thing to consider is that we don't pay enough for great results. He is the 7th highest paid coach in the big 12. I'm sure as whole his assistants also are on the lower as well, so I guess unless ISU ponies up it isn't fair to assume we will have consistent results