On this date in history -- 2004...

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That does not negate any game play and a scoring error like that can by rule be changed.

The correction was technically correct. The fact that it ever happened is what is inexcusable. The players at the free throw line should have raised a stink and stepped in the lane before they ever gave the ball to Homan - as soon as the official indicated 1 and 1 rather than 2 shots. If that is how it went down they have to share the blame. If he indicated 2 shots and then let play continue after a miss there is literally no excuse for that officiating.

In either case by no stretch of the imagination was it good officiating as the announcers applauded them. It would be very curious to see in an alternate reality if Kansas missed the three if they would have gone back to free throws and allowed Kansas to rebound after the miss - essentially giving them another bite at the apple. In Phog Allen, I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Or worse yet if ISU had blocked the shot and taken it down for a fast break layup before the error was corrected. Would ISU's bucket really be allowed to stand? That is the rule but the officials likely wouldn't have made it out of PA alive.

Just to rub salt in the wound, ISU went on to lose this game in OT. How did it get to OT? Kansas hit a jumper to send it to OT; a jumper that was counted as a three pointer but by many accounts the shooter had his foot quite clearly on the line.

Have a peachy weekend!

Thanks. Join us next week on Painful Moments in Iowa State Fandom when we break down in excruciating detail the 2012 Texas game and Jeremiah George's forced fumble and recovery that wasn't.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Just to rub salt in the wound, ISU went on to lose this game in OT. How did it get to OT? Kansas hit a jumper to send it to OT; a jumper that was counted as a three pointer but by many accounts the shooter had his foot quite clearly on the line.

As bad as the "phantom" three play was......this is the one that cooked me. His foot wasn't just touching the line. Had the officials been completely unbiased, just think, Wayne Morgan wins in KU 2 of 3 trips.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What I’ve never understood is why the rule is that they had to count the three. It was clear our guys thought it was two shots.

also why don’t we do this shot once a game.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What I’ve never understood is why the rule is that they had to count the three. It was clear our guys thought it was two shots.

also why don’t we do this shot once a game.
If refs are doing their job they will never let a team go two steps before blowing the whistle.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A lot of bad calls you can at least see how a ref might have made a mistake or saw something different than what actually happened but this is just insane. If you took the thousands of calls KU has gotten their way, this has to be at the top.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A lot of bad calls you can at least see how a ref might have made a mistake or saw something different than what actually happened but this is just insane. If you took the thousands of calls KU has gotten their way, this has to be at the top.
Because all of the KU players seemed on the same page I have to believe that the ref signaled it a 1 and 1 before handing the ball to Homan. If so, again, the players have to be on top of that and stop the ref before he puts the ball in Homan's hands. They could step in the lane and ask the question.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cycsk and heitclone

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Because all of the KU players seemed on the same page I have to believe that the ref signaled it a 1 and 1 before handing the ball to Homan. If so, again, the players have to be on top of that and stop the ref before he puts the ball in Homan's hands. They could step in the lane and ask the question.

That is exactly what happened. One ref said two shots the other signaled one and one. The PA announcer said it was one and one.

They tried to make it right by giving us the ball back after Homan made the second free throw. We scored a two point basket on that possession.

Langford hit a supposed three to send it to overtime. His toe was clearly over the line but they had no replay then.

Also, note in this article that this loss was Iowa State's 23rd straight Big XII road loss.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2004/feb/22/cyclones_lament_botched/

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks. Join us next week on Painful Moments in Iowa State Fandom when we break down in excruciating detail the 2012 Texas game and Jeremiah George's forced fumble and recovery that wasn't.

That was 2013.

Don't recall anything from 2012 football that was like this...maybe just that there was some hype and it turned out to be a pretty marginal team.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
As bad as the "phantom" three play was......this is the one that cooked me. His foot wasn't just touching the line. Had the officials been completely unbiased, just think, Wayne Morgan wins in KU 2 of 3 trips.

Wayne gets a lot of grief on here, I mean the site started as a fire him site.

but the **** show that Larry left was program crippling. Took a decade before we made the tournament again.

Wayne held it together, won some really fun games, and then had to leave.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That was 2013.

Don't recall anything from 2012 football that was like this...maybe just that there was some hype and it turned out to be a pretty marginal team.

I stand corrected. That was Mack Brown's last hurrah at Texas, right?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I stand corrected. That was Mack Brown's last hurrah at Texas, right?

Just looked it up and yeah it was.

I thought he hung it up after the 2010 season for some reason...he definitely was leading on how entitled they had become when ISU went down and beat them.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
First, I don't see how people can blame Kansas for this. It is a cut-throat world, and when someone hands you points, you take them. I put this down as the same as the infamous "Fifth Down" game involving Missouri and Colorado. Was it Colorado's fault they were handed a fifth attempt at getting into the end zone?

Second, I still don't see this as bias on the part of the officials -- just simple bald-faced incompetence. It like when you make a really, really, really horrible mistake at work, but instead of taking the time to correct the mistake and make it right, you cover it up the best you can and hope either nobody notices or it blows over. That is what the officials did here. The officials should have stopped the game, and held a long conference with the people are the scores table about how to correct the mistake and make it right. But they didn't, not out of bias, but simple cover-your-ass incompetence. Doing the right thing would have called even more attention to their bad mistake, and they just wanted to get the game over with.

I know, in the case of the Fifth Down game, the NCAA fired all of the officials who were involved. I hope this was done in this case? If it wasn't, their names should be permanently recorded in infamy on a web page somewhere.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Can rob gray do a where are they now with these officials? I bet they still laugh when they see each other and this play comes up.

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
Still not as painful as the McLemore game.
If just considering games at KU, maybe. If considering KU vs ISU in general 2013 was tougher IMO. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...iciating-errors-in-kansas-iowa-state/1949611/

We had made tournament in 2012, but were on bubble (likely in with hindsight) in 2013. Only had one ranked win thus far. I was afraid loss gave away chance for signature win.

I went to 04 and 05 at Phog. In the arena it was difficult to understand what happened. 05 win was amazing. We played like 6 guys and walkon Neal got some minutes. I think my dad and I were only ISU fans there. Also went to 06 and 13 at Hilton. 15 at Phog. I think 4 straight ISU KU games I went to were OT.

Help Support Us

Become a patron