MLB Suspends Astro Mgr & GM For Cheating.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Holy crap; this seems kinda severe. I know electronic equip was used to steal signs, but stealing signs is as MLB as the 'BrushBack'. 1-yr suspension; $5 MM fine and 1st / 2nd round draft picks !

"..Major League Baseball dealt the most severe punishment against a team in its history Monday by suspending Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch for a year for their role in using electronic equipment to steal signs, while fining the organization $5 million and stripping them of first- and second-round draft picks in 2020-2021....."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ff-luhnow-aj-hinch-suspended-year/4456644002/

Reactions: Acylum and pulse

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Holy crap; this seems kinda severe. I know electronic equip was used to steal signs, but stealing signs is as MLB as the 'BrushBack'. 1-yr suspension; $5 MM fine and 1st / 2nd round draft picks !

"..Major League Baseball dealt the most severe punishment against a team in its history Monday by suspending Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch for a year for their role in using electronic equipment to steal signs, while fining the organization $5 million and stripping them of first- and second-round draft picks in 2020-2021....."

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...ff-luhnow-aj-hinch-suspended-year/4456644002/
It's what the NCAA should do to cheaters. I am impressed, but I assume MLB will not "vacate" the World Series title.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Didn't they use that to steal signs in the World Series vs the Dodgers? I'm sure that was a factor.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'd go a season without CMC/Prohm and Pollard to win a national title in either sport...
giphy.gif

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think it's an appropriately punishment. The $5m fine is nothing, but the value of those 4 draft picks is probably going to be around $28 million ($10m per late 1st round, $4m per late 2nd rounder), unless the Astros fall off a cliff. The Astros will save some money by not having to sign those picks, but it's not nearly that much.

Article on valuing draft picks.
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-on-how-to-value-draft-picks/

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

Definitely not too severe. I would have also rolled back their Salary cap to 2017 for 2 years, and double the luxury tax if they go over.

Those who played baseball know what huge advantage it is to know what pitch is being thrown.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
It's what the NCAA should do to cheaters. I am impressed, but I assume MLB will not "vacate" the World Series title.

Heck yes, but the NCAA doesn't have the Balz like MLB. To think Sean Miller and LSU even have a coach this year is mind-boggling. Can't believe KU hasn't fired the Asst Coach - Towsend (sp?).

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Heck yes, but the NCAA doesn't have the Balz like MLB. To think Sean Miller and LSU even have a coach this year is mind-boggling. Can't believe KU hasn't fired the Asst Coach - Towsend (sp?).

Well allegedly they came down pretty hard on Louisville, and they are still good.
I think the whole SMU thing, death penalty just make the NCAA paranoid

It will be interesting what the NFL does to team hoodie, if it is proven they were recording the Bengals coaching signals

Last edited:

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
What is worse betting on baseball (as a manager, not a player (Pete Rose)) or stealing signs?

Stealing signs has always been part of the game.. But it was done with guys on 2nd etc touching the brim of the helmet stuff like. The way the Astro's took it to another level it was equivalent to hacking someone's account.