MLB Suspends Astro Mgr & GM For Cheating.

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by Go2Guy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. dafarmer

dafarmer Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Male
    Duh- farming
    SW Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,203 / 57 / -3
    Who the #### cares about the Dodgers? They screwed the Yankees,and still get to keep the WS trophies.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Cloneon

Cloneon Active Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Ratings:
    +567 / 40 / -2
    I'm sorry honey. It was only 1 time. I'll never see her again. She didn't mean anything to me. OMG ... The clear lack of ethics from some of you. How do you live with yourself? And, how could you take any pride in winning anything if you know you cheated? It's like bringing a gun to a fist fight. No satisfaction should be taken.

3. agrabes

agrabes Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Ratings:
    +241 / 14 / -0
    More evidence that baseball needs to eliminate its "unwritten rules." Baseball has so many stupid traditions.

Steal signs by looking at a guy from second base? Ok-ish. Steal signs using cameras? Not Ok.

As someone who never played baseball beyond little league, what I don't understand is why there are "signs" in the first place. Why does a catcher need to signal to the pitcher which pitch they should throw? Can't the pitcher just decide for himself? If not, can't the catcher use a different system for signs that's not extremely easily "stealable"? Maybe a little clicker that goes to an earpiece in the pitcher's ear. Two clicks for a fastball, one for a changeup, etc. This is the major leagues, they pay the pitchers $10K+ per pitch. With the money they have available it would be easy to make a device that could send an unstealable signal to the pitcher if you absolutely have to send a signal.

If you ask me, stealing signs shouldn't be cheating. The catcher is openly showing the sign. If you can figure out what it means, that's his problem. Do a better job of hiding it or mixing it up. Look at what every college football team does to send plays in with those boards. They make it hard to figure out what the actual signal is because they are showing it in the open. If this was baseball, they would write down the play in detail on the big card and then demand the other team not look at it. Then, they would kick each player in the family jewels if they did and expect no punishment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lyon309Cy

Lyon309Cy Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +54 / 4 / -0
    When teams feel like there's a chance of signs up being stolen, like with a runner on second, the catcher will change the signs or at least pretend to. The problem is if they're being stolen in ways not anticipated by the catcher.

5. cyfanatic13

cyfanatic13 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Male
    Ratings:
    +4,308 / 100 / -5
    There is a pretty large difference between catching a 95 mph heater and a 75 mph curve. Have fun taking a fastball to the beak if you think your pitcher is throwing a curve

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Ratings:
    +10,695 / 395 / -7
    I just think this is way too soft of punishment. If you really think of the careers this effected. You've got guys like Altuve, Bregman, Correa, etc. These guys have become absolute superstars, but how much can be attributed to them having the advantage of knowing what pitch is coming?

Or you look at a guy like Darvish, who was absolutely destroyed for his performance in the World Series. Again, how much of that can be attributed to cheating? I know he wound up just fine with his Cubs contract, but that had to be hard.

I just think this cheating goes so deep that these punishments can't be enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. agrabes

agrabes Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Ratings:
    +241 / 14 / -0
    That's fair enough - that's a logical reason to have communication. But if that's the case - why does it have to be the catcher signalling the pitcher? If the reason for signals is to make sure the catcher is prepared for the pitch how about this extremely simple solution:

The pitcher wears a bluetooth headset, the catcher wears an earpiece. Right before the pitch, the pitcher covers his mouth with his glove and quietly says what the pitch will be to the catcher.

Problem solved. No signals to be stolen (let's assume they have the capability to make a secure connection that can't be hacked or intercepted).

8. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Ratings:
    +19,410 / 879 / -12
    #48 isufbcurt, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    I've been thinking of something similar where the picture and catcher have ear pieces for a coach to call in the pitch. Like the NFL has for calling in plays.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Ratings:
    +4,477 / 235 / -1
    It's the only good thing about this whole mess.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +21,896 / 431 / -1
    Two World Series champs tainted by cheating. If MLB was like the NCAA they would have just found some reason to look the other way and than lay a massive fine on the Orioles.

Seriously, this is sad stuff. I hate when guys or teams get caught cheating, be it like this or via drugs. Also sort of disappointing, but not surprising, to see the number of "Skip a Rope" hot takes here. :(

11. JM4CY

JM4CY Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Working with people
    America
    Ratings:
    +10,949 / 178 / -2
    This is literally what they got fired for.

[​IMG]

12. thatguy

thatguy Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    DENVER
    Ratings:
    +1,088 / 108 / -14

Guessing, and Knowing, are two different things.

There is allot of smoke that they had been warned to stop doing it, and did it anyway. They were as obvious as using the bullpen phone to call and ask what the sign was. Somebody had to take the fall. Crane is also pissed because he didn't know about it, and now this tarnishes him. Do the crime, don't complain about the punishment.

13. thatguy

thatguy Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    DENVER
    Ratings:
    +1,088 / 108 / -14
    Yikes. To put simply, as you get older, and guys start throwing breaking pitches and start throwing harder, you have to know what is coming, so you can actually catch it. I had major hand surgery after shattering my knuckle because I to this day swear I called a slider and the pitcher threw a fastball and it went off the pad. You catch fastballs different than you catch breaking pitches, than you catch change-ups etc. Watch when in MLB when pitchers and catchers get mixed up, it is a clown show.

Also, you do mix it up. You decide before the game which indicator you go on once a guy gets to second. You sometimes use hand fingers signals, sometimes you use body/hand signals. Sometimes you decide before the game to throw a certain pitch in a certain situation.

Patriots have been busted several times for stealing teams signs and what not. Astros just got caught, just like the Patriots. Those boards in football are there so the teams can go fast, so the defense can't substitute, they aren't really there to confuse anyone. I'm sure at halftime they have it pretty much figured out.

Also, pitchers are dumb meat sticks that have no idea how to actually manage a lineup, they just throw. I think this is the entire premise of Bull Durham.

Signed,
    Caught all my life until I was in my 30s

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +19,139 / 295 / -4
    Also there are 72 offensive plays in your average NCAA football game and each team generally has three guys signalling in the play - one with the actual play and two more who are decoys. If they are using cards there often is only one or two of the four images on the card that actually mean something. In addition there is a pretty big roster of plays they could be calling in. The same play is generally not run more than a handful of times in a game.

In baseball there are an average of 146 pitches thrown (twice as many signal opportunities), there is only one guy signalling the play, and there are generally 4 or fewer different pitches that a pitcher throws. So figuring out a simple system is dramatically easier. I hope they don't get to where the teams always have to use the more elaborate systems they now use when a player is on 2nd base. It will just be one more thing to slow down the game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blackhawk6515

Blackhawk6515 Active Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ratings:
    +252 / 57 / -0
    Proudly wearing my Houston Astros 2017 World Series Championship shirt today. I know it's not a popular opinion, but yes I would trade off all of the punishments for a World Championship. And I know many of you would too. Don't kid yourself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Lyon309Cy

Lyon309Cy Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +54 / 4 / -0
    Yeah, every single owner in any league would trade 5 mill, 4 draft picks, and a little bad press for a championship and a perrenial playoff calliber roster. Astros owner gets by with a slap on the wrist when he either knew or should have known. And nothing was done that affects the Astros ability to compete this year, they're gonna win 100 games and have another shot at another W.S.
    Did the Patriots stop bending rules after any of the times they've been caught? And 20 years from now only the titles will be remembered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ratings:
    +8,145 / 362 / -12
    Stick with football.

18. stormchaser2014

stormchaser2014 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Ratings:
    +6,987 / 264 / -1
    Alex Cora and the Red Sox have agreed to part ways.

19. CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Professor, Geology
    Ratings:
    +9,047 / 1,249 / -1,238
    They can't really take away the 2017 and 2018 world series results, but the COULD tell Houston and Boston that they cannot display the trophies and banners. Nor can they sell world series champion merchandise.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. CloneFan65

CloneFan65 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Math Professor
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ratings:
    +469 / 12 / -0
    During the 2017 playoffs the Astros averaged 5.7 runs per game. On the road, 3.0 runs per game.

Altuve batted .472 at home and .143 on the road.

Correra batted .371 at home and .211 on the road.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2