Possible Decommitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’ll give you KSU, Baylor and Oklahoma. Those 3 programs have Elite 8’s recently, and a Final Four for OU.
But, Iowa hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 since 1999 (once since 1988) and Creighton hasn’t been there since 1974.
ISU has had a lot more success than either of those programs in the last 20 years.
ISU might be mediocre on the national level, but when compared to Iowa and Creighton over the last 20-30 years, ISU is better.

I only use NCAA Tourney results as a guide because that’s literally the only thing that matters.

Disagree. It’s the most importantthing, but not the only thing that matters.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Disagree. It’s the most importantthing, but not the only thing that matters.
Ok, I’ll throw in a few more metrics to compare the 3 programs.

Since 1990 (I’ll use 30 years, since thats what the poster alluded to):

ISU: 3 Sweet 16’s. 1 Elite 8. 15 NCAA appearances. 6 Conf Tourney Championships. 2 Reg season Championships. 16 NBA Draft Picks.

Creighton: 0 Sweet 16’s. 0 Elite 8’s. 13 NCAA appearances. 9 Conf Tourney Champs. 5 Reg Season Championships. 6 NBA Draft Picks.

Iowa: 1 Sweet 16. 0 Elite 8’s. 13 NCAA appearances. 2 Conf Tourney Championships. 0 Reg Season Championships. 9 NBA Draft Picks.

And while we’re at it, I’ll add their head to head matchups since 1990.
ISU leads Iowa 16-15
ISU leads Creighton 6-1

So back to my original point, in the last 30 years, ISU is above Iowa and Creighton in basketball. And in some cases, its not even close.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
So I've been making some calls tonight about this because it is the first that I had heard of it. The mom does have some sort of an illness ... Dudley is switching schools - now - to get closer to home to help - but is not de-committing from Iowa State based off of all of the knowledge I have. Not really sure where this came from but I figured since it was on my board I should at least try to figure a few things out. Again, there is an illness with the mom and let's all pray that goes well. Of course, anything could happen in the future with family situations but he talked to the staff today about the whole deal and plans on being a Cyclone. I do not consider this to be a story as of now.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
So I've been making some calls tonight about this because it is the first that I had heard of it. The mom does have some sort of an illness ... Dudley is switching schools - now - to get closer to home to help - but is not de-committing from Iowa State based off of all of the knowledge I have. Not really sure where this came from but I figured since it was on my board I should at least try to figure a few things out. Again, there is an illness with the mom and let's all pray that goes well. Of course, anything could happen in the future with family situations but he talked to the staff today about the whole deal and plans on being a Cyclone. I do not consider this to be a story as of now.
Thank you, Chris. Whether or not he ends up a cyclone, I certainly hope everything works out well for his mother.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Yes. If people keep going he has no incentive to change
This just seems like the opposite of true Cyclone fandom. In all my years of being a fan through some real bad ****, I never felt it necessary to not support the current players.

I dunno, maybe it's amount of money I paid to the university, but not going to games because you don't like the coach
feels like a tavern fan mindset.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Odd take.... but no. It's supporting the program, even when they're not very good.

Do you honestly think that just because fans keep supporting the team, and going to games, that JP will not make a necessary coaching change?

Absolutely.

JP has proven over the years that he will not make a change until absolutely necessary when apathy starts to set in. The sooner it happens, the better.

Personally, I might watch 2 more games all year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Macloney

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Going off topic and on a tangent here, but this mess does make me wonder how things could have gone if Larry Eustachy hadn't been a raging alcoholic with serious anger management issues.

It always does make you wonder... what would things have been like with Eustachy running the show and Wayne recruiting. Think we were set for another solid run of years.

Obviously the alcohol issues are on Larry first and foremost... but no one in the AD getting ahead of that story so it could be handled in a way other than firing didnt help either.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Going off topic and on a tangent here, but this mess does make me wonder how things could have gone if Larry Eustachy hadn't been a raging alcoholic with serious anger management issues.
So basically "I wonder how it would have gone if Larry wasn't Larry?"

• Winner
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Honestly the fact is, Hilton has occasionally been a great home court advantage, but other than that Iowa St basketball is very mediocre. How many sweet 16s, elite 8s, and final 4s in the last 25 or 30 years.

What makes Iowa St greater than K St, Baylor, Oklahoma, Iowa, Creighton, etc?
nothing really, but there was positive momentum regarding the program. ISU was in the tournament every year and was usually a top 4 team in the Big 12 under Fred.

ISU basketball was at a peak in results and popularity. ISU needed someone to continue to carry it on. Prohm did fine with Fred's players, but is looking like going 10th, 1st round exit and .500 conference record with a Big 12 tourney title, and going 8th-10th this year. If Hali leaves, likely the same next year.

It's more the opportunity Prohm had to keep the program going but now it's going away.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Absolutely.

JP has proven over the years that he will not make a change until absolutely necessary when apathy starts to set in. The sooner it happens, the better.

Personally, I might watch 2 more games all year.
Personally, I think JP's tardiness on firings has more to do with his optimism, and general friendship with the coaches. Pollard has been here for 15 years now, he knows Iowa St fans will show up, even in rough times.

It just blows my mind that there's Iowa St fans that would discourage other fans from supporting a program.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Personally, I think JP's tardiness on firings has more to do with his optimism, and general friendship with the coaches. Pollard has been here for 15 years now, he knows Iowa St fans will show up, even in rough times.

It just blows my mind that there's Iowa St fans that would discourage other fans from supporting a program.

I am totally in line with no in season firings unless done like CPR and Mac, where the season has one game/week and you let them coach for a game and find a new one.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Also, having a short leash with coaches and firing them on a whim makes it harder to attract future coaching candidates. Places like FSU and USC are having trouble hiring who they want because there is no job security at those places. Coaches don't want to be at places where they are fired after one bad season.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Also, having a short leash with coaches and firing them on a whim makes it harder to attract future coaching candidates. Places like FSU and USC are having trouble hiring who they want because there is no job security at those places. Coaches don't want to be at places where they are fired after one bad season.

Except it's not one bad season. It's two bad seasons and consistent underachieving across 5 years.

And there are plenty of great coaches who would jump at the opportunity to coach in Hilton.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Except it's not one bad season. It's two bad seasons and consistent underachieving across 5 years.

And there are plenty of great coaches who would jump at the opportunity to coach in Hilton.
Such as?

If that was the case, we would've had a better pool to pick from when we hired Prohm in the first place, when they were being offered the keys to a ready-made, successful roster to take over. Now what we're marketing is a complete rebuild after firing a coach with, on paper, a relatively successful track, and subsequently losing the roster and recruiting class by sending him off.

Status
Not open for further replies.