Possible Decommitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The fill-in here would've been one of Griffin or Lewis to develop into that role, but neither of them have at the pace we needed them to. Lewis has been okay the last few games, but that's effectively been in the 2-role as well.

The other thing that bothered me Tuesday is that it's obvious we only have one 1-guy: Haliburton. The others all struggled horribly to run the ball without him. It's pretty harsh to not have a serviceable backup PG at all.
I was disappointed that Jackson wasn't better with the ball. This team has miles to go to be above average.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Such as?

If that was the case, we would've had a better pool to pick from when we hired Prohm in the first place, when they were being offered the keys to a ready-made, successful roster to take over. Now what we're marketing is a complete rebuild after firing a coach with, on paper, a relatively successful track, and subsequently losing the roster and recruiting class by sending him off.

I disagree with your argument that ISU cannot hire a good coach because nobody wants to coach here. In fact, it is the exact same crap we heard from the people that argued to the bitter end that we couldn’t do better than GMac. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I disagree with your argument that ISU cannot hire a good coach because nobody wants to coach here. In fact, it is the exact same crap we heard from the people that argued to the bitter end that we couldn’t do better than GMac. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now.
He made the argument that we could've had big suitors when we hired Prohm, yet we didn't. That never happened when it made the most sense, I highly doubt it will now sitting on the prospect of a bottom-feeder rebuild. I never once said we couldn't find a good coach and nobody wants to coach here. Completely different words you put into my mouth

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
This is the most likely play, unless something drastic happens (positive or negative) in the rest of the season.

If the rest of the season is at the Iowa-FAMU level of play, and we see only 1-3 more wins, the hand might be forced.

If the ship is righted and we see even a NIT type season this year, he'll be safe until at least 2022.

And I would agree with both assertions. Right now an NIT berth wouldn’t be that bad.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I posted what i heard and that was that he decommitted. if I’m wrong I’ll own it and be happy about it. Kids a stud. That said, there’s a lot of time between now and fall 2020. Let’s not put his name in sharpie just yet.

Don’t apologize for anything

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
He made the argument that we could've had big suitors when we hired Prohm, yet we didn't. That never happened when it made the most sense, I highly doubt it will now sitting on the prospect of a bottom-feeder rebuild. I never once said we couldn't find a good coach and nobody wants to coach here. Completely different words you put into my mouth

Could’ve fooled me. The response of - “Such as?” Followed by a paragraph about how we couldn’t find any decent candidates last time and how we are in a much worse position now... well that sure implies you think we will struggle to find good candidates interested in coaching here. I do not know how the intent of your post could be interpreted differently.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Could’ve fooled me. The response of - “Such as?” Followed by a paragraph about how we couldn’t find any decent candidates last time and how we are in a much worse position now... well that sure implies you think we will struggle to find good candidates interested in coaching here. I do not know how the intent of your post could be interpreted differently.
Once again: it wasn't about "decent candidates". It was about a big, splash hire. Which we didn't make. We took a flyer on a mid-major coach, even with a stacked roster to be taken over.

What I foresee is us doing the same thing again if we fire Prohm now, or taking a risk on someone like Hornacek who flunked out of the NBA. That's fine and all, and I'm open to it, but I won't magically expect better results overnight versus Prohm because those coaches don't have any better pedigree than he did coming in. I don't see a good coaching market here in terms of big names looking to move around. Take Marshall for example, who gets brought up here: he's bringing in a top-15 salary and has a roughly top-15 team. What's his motivation to come to ISU and start a new rebuild?

That's all I'm saying. It was just an opinion on the available coaches our there and considering the consequences of what happens if we fire Prohm with that. Is that alright with you? "Such as" means exactly what it says: who should or could they have gotten (then or now) that they passed up for Prohm?

• Agree
Reactions: Peter

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Coach Prohm and his teams the next two years are not going to get judged completely based off of wins/losses and the overall record.

Am I in bizarro world? Of course they will be judged on wins and losses and specifically if they get enough of them to go to the NCAA tourney or not.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
nothing really, but there was positive momentum regarding the program. ISU was in the tournament every year and was usually a top 4 team in the Big 12 under Fred.

ISU basketball was at a peak in results and popularity. ISU needed someone to continue to carry it on. Prohm did fine with Fred's players, but is looking like going 10th, 1st round exit and .500 conference record with a Big 12 tourney title, and going 8th-10th this year. If Hali leaves, likely the same next year.

It's more the opportunity Prohm had to keep the program going but now it's going away.

If you think that ISU Basketball was at it's peak in results under Fred then you have just disqualified yourself from this forum. The regular season Big 12 champs from 99 and 2000 would agree with me.

I would expect nothing less from a Broncos fan.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cy$

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
If you think that ISU Basketball was at it's peak in results under Fred then you have just disqualified yourself from this forum. The regular season Big 12 champs from 99 and 2000 would agree with me.

I would expect nothing less from a Broncos fan.
Thinking Prohm isn't a bottom big 12 coach disqualifies you then. Looks like we're both headed to HawkeyeReport.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney
Status
Not open for further replies.