Attendance today was subpar

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Also, students gone wasn’t the sole excuse for that abysmal attendance in one of the then biggest games in program history.
Wouldn't happen now. Things are different, just that many of us are annoyed with 54K at a game says a lot.

Unless it's too dangerous to get to the game, there would be at least 55K at a game for a Big 12 title possibility now.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Also, students gone wasn’t the sole excuse for that abysmal attendance in one of the then biggest games in program history.
I know! Glad you went to the game. Just saying there were multiple reasons why OTHER people didn't go. :)

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
This was the designated weekend the freshmen students went home to hang out with their high school friends, duh.
You joke, but it was high school homecoming a lot of places. This doesn't explain all of it, but probably a small portion.

Reactions: CyGuy5

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I know! Glad you went to the game. Just saying there were multiple reasons why OTHER people didn't go. :)
My wife was in the hospital for the Mizzou game. Hope that was a good enough reason for us to miss that game.

Missed todays game because my kid had a cross country meet in Pella today. It was hard to find someone to give my tickets to. Did end up giving them to a buddy that took his 3 kids.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
My wife was in the hospital for the Mizzou game. Hope that was a good enough reason for us to miss that game.

Missed todays game because my kid had a cross country meet in Pella today. It was hard to find someone to give my tickets to. Did end up giving them to a buddy that took his 3 kids.
Fine by me! I don't give people grief for missing games. That is THEIR business. I know I'm not going to sit in really crappy weather like that 2004 Mizzou Game! If we have any games with weather like that this year, I'll stay home and watch it on TV or listen on the radio. :)

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I wasn't there, but based on seeing many open rows down low on TV.... and open sections up top... and hearing that the student section was only half full... it doesn't seem like 50k+ was possible. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: CyDude16

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I wasn't there, but based on seeing many open rows down low on TV.... and open sections up top... and hearing that the student section was only half full... it doesn't seem like 50k+ was possible. Maybe someone can prove me wrong.
Well, they sold over 57,000 tickets. I suppose for the bottom line, that's all that matters.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Well, they sold over 57,000 tickets. I suppose for the bottom line, that's all that matters.

That's not what we're discussing here. I'm talking butts in seats. 57k sold and student section half empty? That's down to at least 53.5k right there. Plus 10% who said screw it because of the weather or last week... down to 48.5k... prove me wrong.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
That's not what we're discussing here. I'm talking butts in seats. 57k sold and student section half empty? That's down to at least 53.5k right there. Plus 10% who said screw it because of the weather or last week... down to 48.5k... prove me wrong.
I agree with you. I was there today.

But for the bottom line, they sold 57K.

I suppose there may have been 40K inside the stadium today. Lots of folks just stayed in the lots for whatever reason.

Reactions: cstrunk

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
My senior year we were playing Missouri and all we had to do was win and we’d win the North and play in the Big 12 championship game.

We had like, 18,000 at that game.

A dark, dark day.

Was on the road and listening to the Walters call of the missed field goal. His restrain was pretty amazing.

Wasn't it a missed extra point? Or am I thinking of some other soul-crushing loss to Missouri?

I used to work a job where I traveled a lot and met with individuals. I was in the home of some old couple watching the game on a small TV when that happened. :(

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Wasn't it a missed extra point? Or am I thinking of some other soul-crushing loss to Missouri?

I used to work a job where I traveled a lot and met with individuals. I was in the home of some old couple watching the game on a small TV when that happened. :(

Blocked extra kick returned for 2 if I remember right.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron