***Official USMNT Thread***

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
September Friendlies call up

Goalkeepers: Jesse Gonzalez, Brad Guzan, Sean Johnson, Zack Steffen

Defenders: John Brooks, Reggie Cannon, Sergino Des, Nick Lima, Aaron Long, Daniel Lovitz, Tim Ream, Miles Robinson, Walker Zimmerman

Midfielders: Sebastian Lletget, Weston McKennie, Alfredo Morales, Paxton Pomykal, Cristian Roldan, Wil Trapp, Jackson Yueill

Forwards: Corey Baird, Tyler Boyd, Jordan Morris, Christian Pulisic, Josh Sargent, Gyasi Zardes.

By the way, if you thought we were actually going to play in Cuba....we're not. it's in the Cayman Islands due to the national stadium in Cuba going through scheduled renovations

Last edited:

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Josh Sargent is starting for Werder Bremen this morning and has scored their 2nd goal in the first half. They are currently up 2-1 on Augsburg.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Sergino Dest will start tomorrow night Berhalter confirmed in a press conference.

The U17s beat Mexico's u17 in a tourney game in the Netherlands as well, Reyna was in the squad.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Sergino Dest will start tomorrow night Berhalter confirmed in a press conference.

The U17s beat Mexico's u17 in a tourney game in the Netherlands as well, Reyna was in the squad.
I haven't seen him play yet, hopefully he holds his own against Mexico.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I haven't seen him play yet, hopefully he holds his own against Mexico.

I'm hopeful. He's kinda burst onto the scene in the last year or so going from playing with Ajax's U19 side to playing 1st team Eredivisie and Champions League minutes with Ajax. Here's some of his touches from a more recent Eredivisie match. The current standings have Ajax 2nd and PSV 3rd. He seems to hold his own pretty well against good competition. I'm excited to see what he can do with the national team.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Swear to god, if Zardes plays 180 and Sargent plays zero, I'll be pissed.

Sargent is from StL so I'm assuming he will start that game. You will see Zardes tonight. Hopefully someone kicks it off his face so he can score.

Also, Dest is the real deal. He can also play LB if we need him to. I still like Yedlin (when healthy) on the right side, Dest on the left (until Gloster is ready) and then we can put Adams back where he belongs in the middle. Yedlin and Dest on the outside is some serious pace to deal with!

Reactions: BLRNerd and jmkc12

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Sargent is from StL so I'm assuming he will start that game. You will see Zardes tonight. Hopefully someone kicks it off his face so he can score.

Honestly, I think I will be more depressed seeing Wil Trapp’s name in the lineup. I’m no fan of Zardes, but Trapp as our holding mid just makes me all kinds of sad.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Honestly, I think I will be more depressed seeing Wil Trapp’s name in the lineup. I’m no fan of Zardes, but Trapp as our holding mid just makes me all kinds of sad.

Trapp got his name called regularly because he understood the system. Once people start to adapt to it, and we have a group of regulars, Trapp will get called in, but more so of a coach on the field during training, not so much in-game. If perhaps we can develop a 10 and/or a striker, perhaps Trapp and Bradley could run a double pivot which I think they could handle. But that isn't GB's system so I don't know if it will happen. To run a double pivot you have to have a really really good ACM and we don't have that yet.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Well, that stunk. Is it just me, or have things gotten much worse over the past 3 years or so with more focus on european-based players, possession soccer, trying to constantly build from the back, etc. I know we're trying to play the beautiful game, and I would love to see it, but is it reasonable? We don't have a bunch of little small, skillful, fast players like Spain or Mexico or . I don't know why we don't play the old American style and focus on playing our players with great work-rate, counter-attacking / direct attack style with long balls over the top / through balls and then spring the break. Put the ball into the box more and try to score. Can't score if you don't get it close. I would just like us to be physical, take chances, and don't just dink it around in the back trying to build for an inevitable give-away, which is the worst place to give it away and continues to cost us!

Sigh. It just stinks that the U.S. seemingly had a better "team" even if the individual players all together might not have had as much talent, in the early 2000s, mid-2000s and 2010s. Just think back to our knockout round World Cup results in 2010, 2014, Confederations Cup victory over Spain playing the counter-attacking / pouncing / pressing style without trying to dominate possession (just look at those two goals against Brazil in 2009 - which were the product of counterattack). Maybe I'm impatient or biased because I grew up playing soccer in the direct attack style, but it's just frustrating to be a U.S. fan these past few years. U.S. soccer has been bad for several years despite a few very talented players. /rant

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
It's not we as a country have gotten worse at soccer, it's that our federation leadership is terrible. They hired a boardmember's brother to coach. The guy doesn't have the talent or experience to be a successful national team coach (he is below average in the MLS, if that says something for you).

The lineup we roll out is not our best nor does it represent building for the future. The tactics in game are predictable and stale (Mexico had us countered from the start and we didn't adjust at all). This is who we are now and who we will be for a while to come since you can bet berhalter is going to be, undeservedly, given a loooooong leash.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Dan Flynn will officially step down as CEO on September 16th

Relevent Sports has now filed a report in US Federal Court vs FIFA, US Soccer, and SUM.

All in the same day, this is not going to end well

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
If you can find Aaron Long's ankles, please report them to the NYRB.

anyway, some good things in that game. Boyd needs to play more. I actually saw a 19 year old MLS winger take on an attacker towards the end of the game and I thought my eyes were deceiving me. That guy needs to get to Europe fast before MLS ruins his development.

dmg89

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2008
West Des Moines
Berhalter named the squad for the CONCACAF nations league. Not surprising that Sergiño Dest isn't included, but it would have been nice to get him cap tied, since the Dutch are showing more interest in him.

Help Support Us

Become a patron