***Official USMNT Thread***

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Berhalter named the squad for the CONCACAF nations league. Not surprising that Sergiño Dest isn't included, but it would have been nice to get him cap tied, since the Dutch are showing more interest in him.

A report out there that says Dest declined the call.

dmg89

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2008
West Des Moines
A report out there that says Dest declined the call.

I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case. While the USSF has shown to be quite incompetent in a lot of matters, I don't think they'd be dumb enough to not lock this kid down if given the chance. Although, saying that, I don't think I'd ever put money on their intelligence.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Dest is gone, turned down the invite. We are going to lose a few duals to the Mexican federation here pretty soon as well (Mendez/Ledezma). Our complete lack of any sort of leadership is killing us. USSF is making money though, so they don't care.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
To be fair, Dest also is not committing to the Netherlands at this time. It wouldn’t surprise me if he slow plays this over the next 6 months to see if he can breakthrough with the Dutch for the Euros next summer.

I think it’s safe to just assume we’ve lost him at this point, but I don’t think you can really blame US Soccer or Berhalter for this one. They’ve included him every step of the way through the youth ranks and basically have showed him an outside back spot is his now with the first team. If the kid decides he prefers to play for the country that he was born and raised in his entire life, there’s really not much more they could do.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
To be fair, Dest also is not committing to the Netherlands at this time. It wouldn’t surprise me if he slow plays this over the next 6 months to see if he can breakthrough with the Dutch for the Euros next summer.

I think it’s safe to just assume we’ve lost him at this point, but I don’t think you can really blame US Soccer or Berhalter for this one. They’ve included him every step of the way through the youth ranks and basically have showed him an outside back spot is his now with the first team. If the kid decides he prefers to play for the country that he was born and raised in his entire life, there’s really not much more they could do.

We also suck with no end of the sucking in sight. He might just want to give himself the best chance of playing in the WC in 2022

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
We also suck with no end of the sucking in sight. He might just want to give himself the best chance of playing in the WC in 2022

Definitely. In a vacuum, I think almost everybody would choose to represent the Netherlands over the US given the choice.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Guess what everybody? Jozy Altidore got hurt in Toronto FCs final regular season match and will most likely miss the upcoming Nations League matches for the US. Shocking!!!

Reactions: pulse

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Guess what everybody? Jozy Altidore got hurt in Toronto FCs final regular season match and will most likely miss the upcoming Nations League matches for the US. Shocking!!!
My initial thought is who cares just give Sargent all the minutes. But upon further analysis what will actually happen is Zardes is gonna play #9 now. *barf*

• Funny
Reactions: ianoconnor

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Which means we probably get the Zardes Comedy Hour against Canada....:mad:
Zardes and Trapp need to go. The logic is always that they give you a 6-7 out of ten performance every match. I understand, but if the US is going to break through we need to be playing guys with potentially lower floors but who can hit the 8-9 range at their ups. You will never beat a FIFA top 10 nation with Trapp and Zardes on the field.

Also, the inclusion of Bradley still irritates me. The reasoning of him giving more opportunities to other players by being out there and helping their development is valid, but why don't you replace him with Nagbe then? Darlington will likely be too old in the next cycle, but has a better chance of being capable at that time, and is light years better than Bradley right now. Berhalter has not impressed me yet with his selections. Imagine getting Nagbe in there instead of Trapp and tell me we are not a whole lot better.

Last edited:

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Zardes and Trapp need to go. The logic is always that they give you a 6-7 out of ten performance every match. I understand, but if the US is going to break through we need to be playing guys with potentially lower floors but who can hit the 8-9 range at their ups. You will never beat a FIFA top 10 nation with Trapp and Zardes on the field.

Also, the inclusion of Bradley still irritates me. The reasoning of him giving more opportunities to other players by being out there and helping their development is valid, but why don't you replace him with Nagbe then? Darlington will likely be too old in the next cycle, but has a better chance of being capable at that time, and is light years better than Bradley right now. Berhalter has not impressed me yet with his selections. Imagine getting Nagbe in there instead of Trapp and tell me we are not a whole lot better.

I don't know why but I've never had the Bradley ire. His inclusion doesn't REALLY bother me...yet. Mainly because I don't know who's better that's is available right now and I do think his experience is worth having around. The main problem with the Nagbe suggestion, and he probably would be better, is that he has turned down multiple call-ups. I haven't read why, and I don't know if that will change or continue, but he might be done wearing the USA crest. At this point it's not Ggg's fault on that particular selection.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I don't know why but I've never had the Bradley ire. His inclusion doesn't REALLY bother me...yet. Mainly because I don't know who's better that's is available right now and I do think his experience is worth having around. The main problem with the Nagbe suggestion, and he probably would be better, is that he has turned down multiple call-ups. I haven't read why, and I don't know if that will change or continue, but he might be done wearing the USA crest. At this point it's not Ggg's fault on that particular selection.
I know this is the issue, but my point is you don't lose anything as I don't think you can count on Bradley or Nagbe in the next WC. You need to get there, and the worst he can say is no. With a new coach, you should be able to bring people like this back into the team. I am sour on Berhalter because he was the defacto choice from the canning of Klinsmann, but convinced the USSF to wait a year to allow him to, what, sell his house? You threw away a year of the rebuild to get this "chosen" coach, and I am just not seeing it.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

Nagbe has turned down call ins under Berhalter so you can’t really blame him for not including him.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Nagbe has turned down call ins under Berhalter so you can’t really blame him for not including him.
I wasn't aware of recent call up rejections. Nagbe made it sound after his last match like the calls haven't come in a while. Man, I wish our best MF wasn't such a head case....

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I wasn't aware of recent call up rejections. Nagbe made it sound after his last match like the calls haven't come in a while. Man, I wish our best MF wasn't such a head case....

He isn't our best MF. I wouldn't even put him close. Even when he had the chance with the National Team he did nothing. Is he better than Roldan and Trapp and those guys, sure, but McKennie and Adams are way above him, I would put Pomykl above him. Lletget when healthy is better than him. Duane Holmes is probably better than him. Even Hyndman has a higher ceiling. Would this roster be better with him on it? Sure, but not dramatically better.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
The Lineup is out vs Cuba
Sargent Starting, Zardes on the bench

Starting XI: Guzan, Miazga, Lovitz, McKennie, Pulisic (C), Morris, Ream, Yueill, Roldan, Sargent, Cannon

Frontline of Pulisic, Sargent, and Morris then it seems

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron