Les Miles is not okay

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I just listened to a segment on B12 radio and he sounded lucid and fluid. Talked about Pooka again for the nth time to day I'm guessing.

I think people are just looking to pick at him because of Pooka, or because of Bill Self or whatever. My guess is the guy can still coach and my guess is the guy can still recruit.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Campbell's is not a verbal tic. It is a pattern he uses when he wants you to think he is being really open and transparent. Half the time what he actually says after his "honest" comment isn't all that radical, but he wants you to think about it that way.

It's also a way to give the speaker some time to formulate and organize an answer. Like you said, most of the time it allows him to make the most bland comment possible, but a thoughtful one, at least.

Anyone ever catch him saying "biting at the chomp" instead of "chomping at the bit?" Can honestly say I've never heard anyone else say that.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's also a way to give the speaker some time to formulate and organize an answer. Like you said, most of the time it allows him to make the most bland comment possible, but a thoughtful one, at least.

Anyone ever catch him saying "biting at the chomp" instead of "chomping at the bit?" Can honestly say I've never heard anyone else say that.

My favorite is the way Campbell overuses the word "great."

"We need to do a great job of being great at ..."

Seriously, I still remember where I was in the car when he said that!

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
I just listened to a segment on B12 radio and he sounded lucid and fluid. Talked about Pooka again for the nth time to day I'm guessing.

I think people are just looking to pick at him because of Pooka, or because of Bill Self or whatever. My guess is the guy can still coach and my guess is the guy can still recruit.

Idk, he has always seemed a little out there. Kind of like Leach, but Leach’s statements are entertaining where Miles’ seem kind of underwhelming for the time put into formulating them. Exhibit B:

He may be so worried about saying the right thing that he gets at a loss for words though, with all the pressure he knew he’d get from the Williams news. I kinda get that.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I listened to him and thought he had a brain injury.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It really makes you wonder what the AD at Kansas thought was the end game in hiring a 66 year old coach to turn the program around. I know that the two are good friends, but 66 is old to be starting all over again.

Maybe hoping that Les, can wave his LSU championship ring around and get some quick fix recruits and a nice payday for a few years before turning it over to someone else?

I'm pretty sure paragraph 2 is the plan.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

I'm guessing you would be right. Predicting this is a great hire by KU.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody have a link to the whole press conference with Les Miles? All I can find are clips. The Big 12 site has links on its football page to the other 4, but not Miles. And even those don't load. Thanks NeuLion?

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Campbell's is not a verbal tic. It is a pattern he uses when he wants you to think he is being really open and transparent. Half the time what he actually says after his "honest" comment isn't all that radical, but he wants you to think about it that way.

Agreed. Campbell likes to say "the reality of it is..." frequently and he's just giving himself time to think and being as open/transparent as he can be.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Idk, he has always seemed a little out there. Kind of like Leach, but Leach’s statements are entertaining where Miles’ seem kind of underwhelming for the time put into formulating them. Exhibit B:

He may be so worried about saying the right thing that he gets at a loss for words though, with all the pressure he knew he’d get from the Williams news. I kinda get that.

He didn’t mention Texa$$$. Get ready for a beating Les, MENSA doesn’t like being left out.

• Funny
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Meanwhile in the rest of the Big 12...
tenor.gif
They have already gotten a bunch of commits for '20 and are well on their way to fixing the issues with scholarships left by the previous staff.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They have already gotten a bunch of commits for '20 and are well on their way to fixing the issues with scholarships left by the previous staff.

We'll see. Just out of curiosity I looked and 247 does have them as the third ranked 2020 class in the Big 12 for whatever that's worth. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his track record at his other stops, but there's no arguing that his media session yesterday was an abject disaster.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Did KU ever get official feedback on a request for a waiver on scholarships in one year? As I recall, you can only have 25 in a single year and KU was planning on a waiver request to fix their number situation.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Your going to need another can of this.
View attachment 65173
I dont expect you to know the depths of the scholarship problems under Beaty and the previous staff so that's fine.

When Beaty started, KU was down to 39 scholarship players and he only marginally improved that in his 3 1/2 years. That's insane.

KU already has 21 commits for 2020, more than any other school in the Big 12. They aren't landing elite talent but they simply needed more D1 caliber bodies and they are doing that.

I obviously dont think they are going to win the Big 12 or anything crazy but they are improving as a program and will better as a team.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Billions is one of my favorite shows and there is a funny scene where Chuck Rhoads wants to say "Champing at the Bit" because that is the historically correct phrase, but his campaign advisor tells him he will come across as an arrogant elitist if he doesn't say (incorrectly), "Chomping at the Bit".

tenor.gif

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
We'll see. Just out of curiosity I looked and 247 does have them as the third ranked 2020 class in the Big 12 for whatever that's worth. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because of his track record at his other stops, but there's no arguing that his media session yesterday was an abject disaster.
Meh, who cares. It's a pointless media day. Those dont mean anything.

KU's '20 class rankings is due to the size, not the talent level. Which is fine. They needed more bodies. If that class ends up ranked any higher than last in the Big 12 then it will still have met the needs of the program right now.

When the hole is dug this deep, it takes a lot of improvement just to look like you've made ANY improvement.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Uummm is a very common verbal tic. CMC uses "I gotta be honest with you" which is way more graceful than um or er.

Guess I'm not seeing the other stuff but I only watched the 2 minutes about Pooka.
Prohm says "to where..." a lot. Everyone has their thing.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Meh, who cares. It's a pointless media day. Those dont mean anything.

KU's '20 class rankings is due to the size, not the talent level. Which is fine. They needed more bodies. If that class ends up ranked any higher than last in the Big 12 then it will still have met the needs of the program right now.

When the hole is dug this deep, it takes a lot of improvement just to look like you've made ANY improvement.

You are sounding more like Miles everday. Spoken like a true KU coach though. So the whole Pooka DA issue is kinda like what you wrote. Meh, who cares?