***Official Baylor postgame thread***

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Man it’d be nice to overachieve. At best we’ve achieved the last few years. Time to take a step up as a program.

THIS is why we are so frustrated. This season is obviously much better than last year and CSP has proven he can recruit well. But this is the best chance we've had to win the B12 that I can remember. The talent level at the top of the league is way down and I do think our ceiling is higher than anyone else's. Even with the best Hoiball team (Ejim + Niang + Morris, etc.) our talent wasn't the best in the league. Unless we somehow win out (possible but highly unlikely - I will eat my words gladly if we do), we have thrown away an incredible opportunity for the growth of our program and we may not get another one quite like this for years. You never know what will come in the future and by not taking advantage of this season, who knows how long until a similar situation presents itself?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I have never been as frustrated by an objectively good Iowa State basketball team as much as I have this one.

It really is beyond puzzling to the point of inexplicable. How can this team go out on the road and play as well as we did at Kansas State last weekend and then come home and put up this crap sandwich at Hilton, no less with the Mayor and Monte in attendance?

Anybody who ever reads my posts on here knows that I am a fan and ardent defender of Prohm, and despite tonight and the other home losses I still feel he is a good coach, but something just isn't right about the team at Hilton this Big 12 season, and I'll be damned if I know what it is. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go down and beat TCU this weekend as badly as they beat us, but these home losses...

On a related note, does anyone else feel like we really missed Solomon Young tonight? I would have loved to have had him in as an extra big body pulling in a few rebounds tonight.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Honestly, if that’s the true problem, it’s a deeper issue than a simple X’s and o’s adjustment.

But maybe putting one guy on the floor that’s over 6’4” at a time would be a crazy idea. We’ve been getting worked on the boards since the beginning of the Hoiberg area by playing small. The difference is this team has stretches where the offense is so bad that playing small doesn’t matter.

I thought you were done with this season

• Funny
Reactions: CySmurf

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Prohms to soft on these guys. They’ll take tomorrow off, light practice Thursday, walk through Friday and get our asses kicked by a TCU team that plays damn hard and needs a win to get into the tourney. This is what we get under Prohm. He’s had three very good teams and they’ve all underachieved. Looking like we will always be a 9-12 loss team.

I think he needs some of the players to step up to the plate and lead in practice. I think there may be a reason Prohm had Campbell and Fred talk to the team about having to earn success. Seems indicative of some of the inconsistency we're seeing. Seems our common denominator for the last few really successful teams has been player leadership.

Kane/Ejim/Naz/Georges seemed like the kind of guys who would hound people in practice to the point others were forced to match it.

Is Shayok that kind of guy for this team? Babb? I don't know. I think Solomon could be that guy, but it's hard to do that when you aren't on the floor.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Baylor had 18 offensive rebounds on 38 misses tonight. It’s up to the coach to have the team ready to play.
You can take a bunch of 8th graders and prepare them all you want but if they're competing against me I'm going to out muscle them with relative ease. Baylor isn't ever going to be a good matchup for us the way they build their roster now. Raw, raw basketball players inside but all they have to do is layups.

Right now to me at least, we're a Stinson away. Take your offensive board and putback. At worst we'll bring it back at you and Curtis is at the line for a pair.

• Winner
Reactions: ArgentCy

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
And of those that I can remember Halliburton's missed three being a good shot. Shayok took 2?terrible shots, NWB took 2 terrible shots, and Wiggy took a poor jumper. By that time the game was over.

This team has no upperclassman leadership. When we need a bucket, there isn't a guard that forces action at the rim or a guy we can give it to on the block and let 'em go to work.

Then we missed a jumper and have no ability to get stops unless we get a steal.
We do have a guy we can go to one the block, Lard. Went to him 4 straight possessions in the first half and got points each time. He got 1 post feed the entire second half. Baylor had no one that could guard him. That's a horrible coaching mistake.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD and herbicide

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
THIS is why we are so frustrated. This season is obviously much better than last year and CSP has proven he can recruit well. But this is the best chance we've had to win the B12 that I can remember. The talent level at the top of the league is way down and I do think our ceiling is higher than anyone else's. Even with the best Hoiball team (Ejim + Niang + Morris, etc.) our talent wasn't the best in the league. Unless we somehow win out (possible but highly unlikely - I will eat my words gladly if we do), we have thrown away an incredible opportunity for the growth of our program and we may not get another one quite like this for years. You never know what will come in the future and by not taking advantage of this season, who knows how long until a similar situation presents itself?
Next year...if everyone returns?

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
You can take a bunch of 8th graders and prepare them all you want but if they're competing against me I'm going to out muscle them with relative ease. Baylor isn't ever going to be a good matchup for us the way they build their roster now. Raw, raw basketball players inside but all they have to do is layups.

if only those 8th graders had a 6'10" power forward sitting on the bench

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron