Alright WSU fan here

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about this game. Our D has been leaky as of late, and Uncle Rico over in Pullman has been out of his mind this year. Nobody throws for 4,500+ yards/35+ TDs by accident, even if their conference isn't the best out there (Larry Scott doing his absolute best keeping them dumpstered year after year). Their defensive stats are very similar to ours over the season, and I also believe they run a similar scheme -- it won't be a surprise to them.

I have a feeling that it'll be a shootout, and we will have to be damned sharp on offense to keep up with them. Here's hoping the month off between now and then is good to us for player health and rest.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and kilroy

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about this game. Our D has been leaky as of late, and Uncle Rico over in Pullman has been out of his mind this year. Nobody throws for 4,500+ yards/35+ TDs by accident, even if their conference isn't the best out there (Larry Scott doing his absolute best keeping them dumpstered year after year). Their defensive stats are very similar to ours over the season, and I also believe they run a similar scheme -- it won't be a surprise to them.

I have a feeling that it'll be a shootout, and we will have to be damned sharp on offense to keep up with them. Here's hoping the month off between now and then is good to us for player health and rest.
I think is game is a mix of our WVU and KSU game. big plays, and grind out time through our possession, and we win a close one.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Since the defensive change last season, the teams that typically have success on offense are those that have the patience to run the ball against our 3 man front. I'm not sure Wazzu fits that mold.

• Winner
Reactions: TykeClone

TSKCoug

Dec 3, 2018
I am looking forward to this bowl game, and hope the Cougs can regain their form post Apple Cup disaster. I should think that playing for an unprecedented 11 win on the season would be enough reason for WSU to bring its "A" game. I was struck by some in this thread trying to stoke up some kind of supposed slight to ISU and its fans and alumni due to a purported lack of respect by the Cougars and their fan/alumni base. I just don't see it. But then again I have been a WSU alumnus and fan for nearly 30 years. I am well aware of the rollercoaster nature of our football program. Surprisingly WSU has never played ISU before. http://www.winsipedia.com/washington-state/vs/iowa-state despite that the two schools have much in common, the overall win/loss totals are similar and even the bowl appearances are close (14 for WSU and 13 for Iowa St). So on December 28th I will hoist a DosEquis, or two or three.....and cheer GO COUGS!

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't remember that it was Leinenkugel's but this is correct. I thought at the time that we were just extra happy to be in a bowl after the drought. But no, ISU fans just drink a lotta beer!
It was Leinie's. I was there and every time we went back for another round of pitchers they were out of another brew. The bartenders kind of had that 1,000 yard stare.

• Agree
Reactions: oldwiseman

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Heck I'm bitter for Coug fans. No one is going to convince me that Penn St, Florida, LSU are better than Wazzu. They should be playing in a NY6 bowl. Committee is biased.

I'm extremely happy to be playing them in the Alamo bowl though. I believe our two schools have a lot in common and I am a Mike Leach fan for sure!

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Heck I'm bitter for Coug fans. No one is going to convince me that Penn St, Florida, LSU are better than Wazzu. They should be playing in a NY6 bowl. Committee is biased.

I'm extremely happy to be playing them in the Alamo bowl though. I believe our two schools have a lot in common and I am a Mike Leach fan for sure!

Easy to feel for WSU, because it seems like a position we could easily find ourselves in in the near future.

Cougfan99

Dec 2, 2018
Since the defensive change last season, the teams that typically have success on offense are those that have the patience to run the ball against our 3 man front. I'm not sure Wazzu fits that mold.[/QU

Here is a good answer to that one.

Leach’s 1st 2 qbs were full blown gunslingtres, Falk for 3 seasons and Halliday for 3. They were also totem poles and cold not run a lick(I mean statues)and it cost us games I believe. They also very seldom audibled out of a pass no matter how many in the box and would refuse to run even if it was there. This year we have 23 rushing TDs and last year 9. It has been a nice change
i'm feeling better about this match up...they can't count...

View attachment 60525
Omg that guy? He left the other WSU chat site years ago. Thought he was dead

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Wait, there’s a Des Moines in Washington?
I had to google to confirm. My mind is blown.
Yes. And they pronounce it Dez Moinessss. My sister is in Covington (about 3 towns over) - I give her crap every time she refers to the Iowa Des Moines with the Washington pronunciation. :D

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Yes. And they pronounce it Dez Moinessss. My sister is in Covington (about 3 towns over) - I give her crap every time she refers to the Iowa Des Moines with the Washington pronunciation. :D

This calls for a "dumb" rating, but I don't want to bum you out by giving it to you.

Like, for real that's how they pronounce it? I say it that way to be a smartass sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
This thread is funny because it's like 10 people having an actual conversation while one dude is doing his best to troll the **** out of the Washington state fan, and it's only Iowa state fans biting

Reactions: Die4Cy

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Cougs are good people. Can't wait to see the two fanbases mingle in San Antonio. This could be called the Anxiety Bowl as both ISU and WSU fans are perpetually on guard for the next disappointment. I laugh every time I hear WSU folks talking about "Couging It" as this is the same shorthand as our nutcup comments.