Boren Won't Shut His Mouth

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Love how everyone's ignoring the main point of Boren's dissatisfaction - which has never wavered - the Big 12 schools caving in to Texas and letting them have their own network. If OU leaves, it's the Big 12's own fault. No conference network. Posters can rip Boren, but without the Sooners, we're toast.

For ISU's sake, aren't we glad the Big 12 caved to Texas?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This concept has been floating around for years, and it seems like it would have a chance at working. The timezone difference would allow the content pooling to work well. Would OU, UT, and WVU (who is reportedly getting $9 million/yr from their 3rd tier deal) give up their deals to do this? Does anybody in the Big 12 trust Larry Scott?

A better question is whether P12 Presidents and ADs trust Scott at this point. Despite its current issues, PACN is well positioned as a linear or streaming network without a "middleman" stakeholder like ESPN or Fox. Scott may not want to partner or merge with all of the B12 but he may be forced to eventually and it would benefit both conferences.

The T3 deals that UT, OU and WV have are nice they need to get on board with a conference network in order to provide negotiation leverage for the new TV deals. A conference network enables the B12 to tell the OTA Tier 1, Tier 2 providers (ESPN, FS1, Turner, etc.) and streamers (Amazon, Hulu, Twitter, etc.) that if you don't pay us enough for premium content, we will keep it for ourselves on the conference-owned conference network.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
For ISU's sake, aren't we glad the Big 12 caved to Texas?
Absolutely and OU/Boren griping about UT's T3 arrangement is pure sour grapes. OU was in UT's corner all along relative to not voting for a conference network previously. Same with aggy and Nebraska, those pussies left. At least OU stayed put to their benefit but Boren would never admit that.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Are you sure? Here's what their schedule would look like in the SEC:

Texas
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Arkansas
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

If OU gets placed in the West then that would mean Auburn got placed in the East.

Good luck with that.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Awe- don't be modest. You're one of the best! :)

Agreed. Pac 12 network merger or alliance would be fantastic. Unfortunately, Texas will always be a roadblock.
Texas might have reason to support an alliance. They can see their network faults and the unhappiness of ESPN accountants.

So, maybe the Big 12 alliance partners, from their own proceeds, sweeten the deal for UT by insuring them a certain return. And ESPN chips in some dough because they know they'll lose more than that with the status quo. And the network itself helps because it sees the return from adding all those eyeballs. UT insures OU staying by joining. It adds big time players from out west. And all the angst goes away.

It take some talent to put stuff like this together. Thus, I'm not at all sure Bowlsby has the kahunas nor wherewithal to do it. He's been a major meh as commissar.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Texas might have reason to support an alliance. They can see their network faults and the unhappiness of ESPN accountants.

So, maybe the Big 12 alliance partners, from their own proceeds, sweeten the deal for UT by insuring them a certain return. And ESPN chips in some dough because they know they'll lose more than that with the status quo. And the network itself helps because it sees the return from adding all those eyeballs. UT insures OU staying by joining. It adds big time players from out west. And all the angst goes away.

It take some talent to put stuff like this together. Thus, I'm not at all sure Bowlsby has the kahunas nor wherewithal to do it. He's been a major meh as commissar.

LHN is a distressed ESPN asset so Disney could force ESPN to reach a settlement with Texas on LHN in the not too distant future. The existing PACN regional model can facilitate a Texas-only branded network if that is what it took to have Texas agree on a flip to PACN for LHN.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
As an ISU fan who isn't looking for membership in the AAC I would say it's in our best interest to keep Boomer and the Cows as happy as possible.

The Big 12 Network is dead. Move to the future
I agree, but what does that look like? 12 teams and a championship game? 9 teams with the Texas schools calling the shots?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Are you sure? Here's what their schedule would look like in the SEC:

Texas
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Arkansas
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

I'm confused. That would be the addition of at least three teams from the Big 12 pushing the SEC up to at least 17 members. Just how big do you expect the "conference" to get?

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
Not sure what it exactly looks like but I suspect it looks a lot like a **** load of cash

Just a guess.
As long as ISU gets a big cut, I suppose you can count me in. The larger stadium and other improvements will help us if the conference does break apart.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I agree, but what does that look like? 12 teams and a championship game? 9 teams with the Texas schools calling the shots?

I think it's the former with UT and OU calling the shots. UT will never tolerate a league in which they're not King **** and OU knows that a strong UT keeps more Texas kids in the league and improves their recruiting pool. I'd be surprised if UT ever left the Big 12 so my hope is that that keeps OU around. UT just needs to up their game and be f*cking UT. The big 12 get bad press for poor draft classes and CFP showings when UT could do a lot to help that.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I'm confused. That would be the addition of at least three teams from the Big 12 pushing the SEC up to at least 17 members. Just how big do you expect the "conference" to get?

Texas will always be on OU's schedule; but never as a member of the SEC. A&M will fight like hell to prevent that.

OU
Oklahoma State
Mizzou
A&M
Arkansas
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

Auburn
Alabama
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
OU Schedules
2015 2016
Akron Houston
Tulsa Ohio State
WVU Texas
Texas KSU
ISU Kansas
TCU Baylor
Oklahoma State
Made Playoff's

Iowa
2015 2016
Illinois St Miami (OH)
Pittsburg ISU
North Texas NDSU
Illinois Northwestern
Maryland Wisconsin
Minnesota Michigan
PUrdue Nebraska

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
LHN is a distressed ESPN asset so Disney could force ESPN to reach a settlement with Texas on LHN in the not too distant future. The existing PACN regional model can facilitate a Texas-only branded network if that is what it took to have Texas agree on a flip to PACN for LHN.

The Longhorns have a contract with ESPN, so I don't see Texas accepting much less than contractually due. It not like Disney will go bankrupt because of the LHN contract. Even looking at ESPN as a standalone entity- the LHN liability is only a small percentage of their overall sport contract liability.

Also, ESPN could be in OK shape with the final 15ish years of the LHN contract if Tom Herman turns the Texas FB program around.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Someone send him Nebraska and Iowa's home schedule the last couple years. My god if OU is complaining about this schedule they are delusional thinking it would be better in a 16 team Big X or other mega-conference.
Iowa played three Top 25 home games in conference last year. In addition, they played their in state rival, another team that sniffed the top 25 and a pretty solid Northwestern. If 16 team mega conferences came around, it would only improve.