Boren Won't Shut His Mouth

Discussion in 'Big XII Conference' started by CycloneWarning, May 12, 2017.

1. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny

For ISU's sake, aren't we glad the Big 12 caved to Texas?

2. cykadelic2

cykadelic2 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2006
    A better question is whether P12 Presidents and ADs trust Scott at this point. Despite its current issues, PACN is well positioned as a linear or streaming network without a "middleman" stakeholder like ESPN or Fox. Scott may not want to partner or merge with all of the B12 but he may be forced to eventually and it would benefit both conferences.

The T3 deals that UT, OU and WV have are nice they need to get on board with a conference network in order to provide negotiation leverage for the new TV deals. A conference network enables the B12 to tell the OTA Tier 1, Tier 2 providers (ESPN, FS1, Turner, etc.) and streamers (Amazon, Hulu, Twitter, etc.) that if you don't pay us enough for premium content, we will keep it for ourselves on the conference-owned conference network.

3. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Don't mind Tornado Man, he'd love to blow ISU athletics into nuclear winter just so we can say we told UT to "f<ck off". It's weird.

• Winner Winner x 3
  4. cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
    Absolutely and OU/Boren griping about UT's T3 arrangement is pure sour grapes. OU was in UT's corner all along relative to not voting for a conference network previously. Same with aggy and Nebraska, those pussies left. At least OU stayed put to their benefit but Boren would never admit that.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gorm

Gorm Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Male
    Amana, IA
    If OU gets placed in the West then that would mean Auburn got placed in the East.

Good luck with that.

6. surly

surly Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    writing, trolling
    reservation lake, mn
    Texas might have reason to support an alliance. They can see their network faults and the unhappiness of ESPN accountants.

So, maybe the Big 12 alliance partners, from their own proceeds, sweeten the deal for UT by insuring them a certain return. And ESPN chips in some dough because they know they'll lose more than that with the status quo. And the network itself helps because it sees the return from adding all those eyeballs. UT insures OU staying by joining. It adds big time players from out west. And all the angst goes away.

It take some talent to put stuff like this together. Thus, I'm not at all sure Bowlsby has the kahunas nor wherewithal to do it. He's been a major meh as commissar.

7. cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
    LHN is a distressed ESPN asset so Disney could force ESPN to reach a settlement with Texas on LHN in the not too distant future. The existing PACN regional model can facilitate a Texas-only branded network if that is what it took to have Texas agree on a flip to PACN for LHN.

8. CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Professor, Geology
    I agree, but what does that look like? 12 teams and a championship game? 9 teams with the Texas schools calling the shots?

9. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Not sure what it exactly looks like but I suspect it looks a lot like a **** load of cash

Just a guess.

10. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I'm confused. That would be the addition of at least three teams from the Big 12 pushing the SEC up to at least 17 members. Just how big do you expect the "conference" to get?

11. CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Professor, Geology
    As long as ISU gets a big cut, I suppose you can count me in. The larger stadium and other improvements will help us if the conference does break apart.

12. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    I think it's the former with UT and OU calling the shots. UT will never tolerate a league in which they're not King **** and OU knows that a strong UT keeps more Texas kids in the league and improves their recruiting pool. I'd be surprised if UT ever left the Big 12 so my hope is that that keeps OU around. UT just needs to up their game and be f*cking UT. The big 12 get bad press for poor draft classes and CFP showings when UT could do a lot to help that.

13. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    Texas will always be on OU's schedule; but never as a member of the SEC. A&M will fight like hell to prevent that.

OU
    Oklahoma State
    Mizzou
    A&M
    Arkansas
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Mississippi State

Auburn
    Alabama
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    Kentucky
    Georgia
    Florida
    South Carolina

14. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    And he is a moron. Lets not forget that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    OU Schedules
    2015 2016
    Akron Houston
    Tulsa Ohio State
    WVU Texas
    Texas KSU
    ISU Kansas
    TCU Baylor
    Oklahoma State
    Made Playoff's

Iowa
    2015 2016
    Illinois St Miami (OH)
    Pittsburg ISU
    North Texas NDSU
    Illinois Northwestern
    Maryland Wisconsin
    Minnesota Michigan
    PUrdue Nebraska

16. isucy86

isucy86 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    The Longhorns have a contract with ESPN, so I don't see Texas accepting much less than contractually due. It not like Disney will go bankrupt because of the LHN contract. Even looking at ESPN as a standalone entity- the LHN liability is only a small percentage of their overall sport contract liability.

Also, ESPN could be in OK shape with the final 15ish years of the LHN contract if Tom Herman turns the Texas FB program around.

17. isu81

isu81 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Iowa played three Top 25 home games in conference last year. In addition, they played their in state rival, another team that sniffed the top 25 and a pretty solid Northwestern. If 16 team mega conferences came around, it would only improve.

18. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    So, Boren is a similar-aged, but polar opposite, version of B-Snyder? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    OU, Nebraska and A&M all fought very hard to make sure LHN was a possibility.

They were all just so ego crazy they thought they'd be the program swimming in a Scrooge McDuck money vault.

• Like Like x 1
  20. isuclone89

isuclone89 Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Medical Lake, WA
    Vampires they're all vampires!