Boren Won't Shut His Mouth

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'd be willing to give *some* slack if I could tell from that article if he was asked directly about the possibility of OU bolting in the near future. I can't imagine he just brought it up out of the blue (well, maybe I can, but even Boren can't be that clueless, can he?).

Then again, even if he was asked, he could just offer no comment, at least.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneWarning

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
I'd be willing to give *some* slack if I could tell from that article if he was asked directly about the possibility of OU bolting in the near future. I can't imagine he just brought it up out of the blue (well, maybe I can, but even Boren can't be that clueless, can he?).

Then again, even if he was asked, he could just offer no comment, at least.

Yep. Lots of responses here have correctly pointed out that Boren's position is actually closer to ISU's position.

My main frustration is why he feels the need to keep shooting his mouth off. All the other Big 12 AD and Presidents know ALL the issues involved and know his opinions. Keep it in the family if you are really interested in making this work long-term.

Stirring the pot just makes the conference look bad, and now every other AD or President is going to get asked the same old tired questions in the near future.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Love how everyone's ignoring the main point of Boren's dissatisfaction - which has never wavered - the Big 12 schools caving in to Texas and letting them have their own network. If OU leaves, it's the Big 12's own fault. No conference network. Posters can rip Boren, but without the Sooners, we're toast.

What is the point of continuing to bring this up, years after the fact? As KnappShack posted, the last two attempts to start conference networks haven't worked. The Pac-12 network isn't delivering anywhere near the revenue that was predicted. It took 6 years for ESPN to put a model together for the ACC network that could deliver revenue, and there is no guarantee that it is going to produce what ESPN promised. Boren himself said in an interview last year that the marketplace has changed and will not support a traditional cable network.

Continuing to whine about the Big 12 not having a traditional cable network just exposes those who do as being out of touch. And let's not forget, OU is doing pretty well without a traditional network, pulling in about $7-8 million/year on their third-tier deals. Contrast that with the Pac-12...the last public figures I saw from last year regarding the Pac-12 network indicate that the payout is in the range of $1.4-$2 million/school.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Continuing to whine about the Big 12 not having a traditional cable network just exposes those who do as being out of touch. And let's not forget, OU is doing pretty well without a traditional network, pulling in about $7-8 million/year on their third-tier deals. Contrast that with the Pac-12...the last public figures I saw from last year regarding the Pac-12 network indicate that the payout is in the range of $1.4-$2 million/school.
I see you didn't mention the SEC, the most likely of OU's future destinations.
OU and Boren seem unhappy and frustrated with the current arrangement. Are you saying it should not be a priority of the Big 12 to keep OU happy?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
OU and Boren seem unhappy and frustrated with the current arrangement. Are you saying it should not be a priority of the Big 12 to keep OU happy?

Well, if keeping Boren happy means launching a traditional cable network that will be doomed to failure, then no, that should not be a priority of the Big 12. What exactly is going to make him happy?

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Seems to me that a lot of folks have already tired of the mega conference model: 14-16 schools, football teams playing each other once every 8 years. The Hawks have benefited tremendously over the past few years from not having to play certain members of the conference. We may see a swing away from those. Don't know - just guessing based on conversations with friends.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
SEC, the most likely of OU's future destinations.

Correct; as Okie Lite will tag along. The B1G would rather take Kansas & Colorado before making a geographic and academic leap in that direction. Texas would love a Notre Dame quasi-independent affiliation deal with the ACC, and the Pac 12 would replace Colorado with Tech. Here are the five nobody wants:

ISU
KSU
Baylor
TCU
WVU

So before @KnappShack goes into another psychotic rant over AAC or MAC membership, what I think may be a stronger possibility is the "Forgotten Five" sticking together and inviting the best of the rest. For example:

BYU
Houston
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Memphis

Not sexy, but far more attractive than the lesser conferences.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Someone send him Nebraska and Iowa's home schedule the last couple years. My god if OU is complaining about this schedule they are delusional thinking it would be better in a 16 team Big X or other mega-conference.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Someone send him Nebraska and Iowa's home schedule the last couple years. My god if OU is complaining about this schedule they are delusional thinking it would be better in a 16 team Big X or other mega-conference.

Are you sure? Here's what their schedule would look like in the SEC:

Texas
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Arkansas
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

I am assuming Boren's latest comments are in response to a reporter's questions regarding Paul Finebaum's OU comments that Finebaum refuses to confirm with bonafide sources. Boren and Finebaum are both dickheads made for each other, not surprised Boren would comment on Finebaum's remarks. Any other class President with a clue would not have.

It is no secret that OU wants a conference network but OU is also making more or equal money off their Tier 3 deal with Fox than what SEC schools are getting from SECN payouts. A B12-only conference network is not viable at this point in time due to lack of available content and market conditions. The only way the B12 stays intact with a conference network is if they buy an equity stake in the PACN. PACN needs an equity partner to infuse cash and to spread its primary footprint to more passionate fanbases in TX and the Midwest.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Correct; as Okie Lite will tag along. The B1G would rather take Kansas & Colorado before making a geographic and academic leap in that direction. Texas would love a Notre Dame quasi-independent affiliation deal with the ACC, and the Pac 12 would replace Colorado with Tech. Here are the five nobody wants:

ISU
KSU
Baylor
TCU
WVU

So before @KnappShack goes into another psychotic rant over AAC or MAC membership, what I think may be a stronger possibility is the "Forgotten Five" sticking together and inviting the best of the rest. For example:

BYU
Houston
Cincinnati
Colorado State
Memphis

Not sexy, but far more attractive than the lesser conferences.

I went on a "psychotic rant"? Whew. Way to turn the knob up to an 11. At least let me say "MAC" before firing like that.

And that conference you cobbled together is worth about $3-4 million per school.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The only way the B12 stays intact with a conference network is if they buy an equity stake in the PACN. PACN needs an equity partner to infuse cash and to spread its primary footprint to more passionate fanbases in TX and the Midwest.

This concept has been floating around for years, and it seems like it would have a chance at working. The timezone difference would allow the content pooling to work well. Would OU, UT, and WVU (who is reportedly getting $9 million/yr from their 3rd tier deal) give up their deals to do this? Does anybody in the Big 12 trust Larry Scott?

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Is Boren still the chairman of the Big 12 President's committee? How can that be in the Big 12's best interest?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Ha ha! I just wanted your attention. :D

Do you think payout in the AAC would be better?

What I think is the Big 12 has an interesting niche. Middle of the country (sorry WV) and 2 highly marketable schools.

A PAC media merger would be my blue sky wish. Leverage their network if that saves OU and the conference. But after the PAC tried to kill the Big 12 (and really almost succeeded) can they be trusted?

But maybe I'm too old media. Maybe Amazon is the ticket. 10 school conference is cheaper access to big time ball.

I really need better psychotic rants

Reactions: CYCLNST8

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
David is 76. So, at some point he'll be forced out or simply pass away.

Reality is that nothing happens without the fundamentals being right for OU or Texas. The rest of us are just along for the ride, which we hope continues for a very long time.

Have long felt the solution is some sort of alliance with the Pac12, which needs viewership as much as we need marque players. Or, the two Arizona schools come over as their network is sucking air presently.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron