Let's have a serious discussion about CPR

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
And...firing CPR and hiring a new coach you can kiss the 2016 class goodbye along with what will be more than usual attrition. So you can prob not count on even coming close to a winning season until prob 2018.
What 2016 class are you speaking of? We have 5 commits right now.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Just remember it's not always greener on the other side. I'm frustrated like a lot of fans but hiring a football coach at ISU is a crap shoot. It's just not a destination for a long period for most coaches and the ones who truly want to be here aren't all that successful.

Are you worried about winning less than 2 games a year? Anything under 6 really doesn't matter

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
And...firing CPR and hiring a new coach you can kiss the 2016 class goodbye along with what will be more than usual attrition. So you can prob not count on even coming close to a winning season until prob 2018.

That is such an awful argument.
We can't count on coming close to a winning season now, so keeping on keeping on is the smart move, because we know what we get. Great idea.

Just type "We are Iowa State" to finish off that argument.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
So essentially the same boat we are in now?

I wonder if most people would be upset losing what will probably be the #9 recruiting class in the Big 12 and maybe #70 nationally. I am up for the crap shoot, we can't sink much lower.

i will sign up for the crapshoot as well

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just remember it's not always greener on the other side. I'm frustrated like a lot of fans but hiring a football coach at ISU is a crap shoot. It's just not a destination for a long period for most coaches and the ones who truly want to be here aren't all that successful.

Pretty much anybody can win two games....

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I have always thought Rhoads and the staff he has put together are a good group of coaches, organizationally and in teaching the game. They have never recruited the kind of speed or depth that they need to make ISU a consistent winner, but I disagree these are bad coaches.

I do think there comes a time when a coach no longer has credibility with his players or the broad base of his program's fans. I do not think that is where we are right now.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
His fate could depend on Tucker's health. NT is the single most important job in the 3-4 defense, and you could see it was night at day different without him on the field. Offense needs to click of course also. Sam might just be a lost cause from all the different coaches he's had and hits he's taken. Potential is there, but he just hasn't developed like he should have. I'd think about giving Lanning a chance sometime this year if the offense counties to struggle.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
If they get 5 wins I would bring him back, and even if they get 4 wins and are improving I would consider it. It certainly wouldn't hurt even if they only had 4 wins if all of them came from home games, the fans have not had lot of wins for showing up.

My reasoning is this, there are a lot of JUCOS/transfers contributing right now and I think this is the route they need to take in the future to be successful at ISU. Very few coaches would win with only high school kids at ISU, and almost all of them would move on as soon as they can bringing ISU back into the very hard task of finding a coach that can win regularly at ISU. Even Hoiberg realized he couldn't compete at the level he wanted to in basketball with high school kids and they only need 7-8 players, not even close to the number of players in football needed.

I'm not saying to ignore high school players because you can't but they are going to have to focus on JUCOS/Transfers to succeed at ISU.

If the team is improving I would rather give one last chance with the requirement of a bowl game the next year.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I agree that JUCO recruiting is probably our best plan of action going forward, let's remember weve not exactly had a great track record with many of them. It feels like over half of the JUCOs we sign never male it to campus of leave fairly quickly.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

And you keep rolling the dice until you hit.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I agree that JUCO recruiting is probably our best plan of action going forward, let's remember weve not exactly had a great track record with many of them. It feels like over half of the JUCOs we sign never male it to campus of leave fairly quickly.

This is the case with JUCOs everywhere. There is a reason they are at a JUCO in the first place.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

What if it isn't a destination job? Bring in a proven winner, change the culture, have it set up so when coach does move on someone can step in a keep the ball rolling. This whole we will always suck at football is getting old. Hell as bad as last year was that team had a shot at 6 to 7 wins. The same goes for when Mac was the coach, so many games he had a shot in and couldn't get it done.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
When a school like ISU doesn't have the money to give a coach a decent salary, they offer them extra time to ride out a bad year or two as an alternative to the extra money. We've made our bed, now we have to lie in it. Only a major abandonment from fans or collapse of recruiting like we saw with McCarney would matter at this point. Neither of these things are good for the health of the program overall.

You are correct. They should pay the coaches more while they are coaching instead of paying them a lot once they are fired.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Can we see how the rest of the season goes before saying we should fire Rhodes? Sure hes on the hot seat, but one game, albeit losing to your rival doesn't make or break a season.

How many times do you need to see the same **** over and over again to realize CPR is not getting the job done?

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009

If you subscribe to that line of thinking then just write up a lifetime contract for Rhoads. ISU has been a **** poor program since...forever, you really think a couple more losing seasons are going to make a difference? If he can't get the job done its time to get someone else in here. The new guy might suck too, but we already know the current guy sucks. 2 losses to 1-AA schools (almost 3), 1 winning season (his FIRST, 2-10 in year 6, 6.5 point underdog to a MAC school in year 7. How delusional do you have to be to think that Rhoads is suddenly going to "figure it out"?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I saw at least one person say it but I am going to continue, who are we going to get that will be better than Rhoads? Even if we do, they won't stick around long if they are somewhat successful (IE 2 years of 5-6 win seasons). ISU is not, and never will be, a destination job for 99% of coaches. Rhoads is in that 1% that will stay here. The last few seasons have sucked but a lot of it was because of the Messingham promotion. We have the right staff in place and we are getting better. That is all we can ask as fans. I don't know about the rest of you but yesterday was a fun game! It definitely would have been more fun if we had won but newsflash, the season isn't over. We still have 10 games left and if the ball goes our way this year, unlike last year, we still have a good shot at making a bowl.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wouldn't want to miss out on our class of 2 stars in 2016.