Friday OT #2 - Tattoos

SantaRosaCy

Jul 5, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Sorry I've never seen one that didn't look like a birthmark gone bad. Just don't get it. As others have said, in certain applications it would negatively impact a job opportunity. I for one don't want someone drawing attention to their tats representing my company. However in some industries it's probably a plus; to each his own.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
I didn't believe you at first, but I take it back. That is a spot on portrait of Prince and Rosanne. My condolences.
I've thought about a cover up but it really is a conversation piece. I just laugh about it now.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
Sorry I've never seen one that didn't look like a birthmark gone bad. Just don't get it. As others have said, in certain applications it would negatively impact a job opportunity. I for one don't want someone drawing attention to their tats representing my company. However in some industries it's probably a plus; to each his own.

I actually hate this mentality. Because it makes no sense. It's such 50's puritanical bullcrap. We perpetuate this stereotype that tattoos negatively impact the ability to get a job, and the only reason that tattoos negatively impact the ability to get a job is because we've always been told that tattoos negatively impact the ability to get a job.

Wanting a tattoo of a water color humming bird on her shoulder does not impact whether or not a person can or cannot correctly calculate the interest on a bank loan. Wanting a dragon to cover his calf does not impact whether or not a person knows and can apply laws justly or fairly. It's just such a disingenuous argument.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Anybody every heard about Olive Oatman and the face tat she received while captured by Apache Indians:
OliveOatman Blue Tattoo.jpg

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Anybody every heard about Olive Oatman and the face tat she received while captured by Apache Indians:
View attachment 27791

I bet she's the inspiration for the lady on Hell on Wheels with that exact tattoo.

Eva_Season_2_promo.jpg

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Don't have any. Never wanted any. Don't hate them but I would prefer my women with out them because I think the human body is a natural thing that shouldn't be marked by tattoos.

If tattoos have meaning, I respect that. But I have a friend who got her first one two years ago, saying she came up with the tattoo idea herself, it's on her back, and it was a feather that was symbolizing that she is flying free or is independent or something stupid like that. And then a couple months ago she got some latin saying that says she is free and independent or something stupid like that in which she found on pinterest. And then last weekend at a wedding I met a lady that was the same age as her with the same feather tattoo on her arm, so now I know there is no way she came up with the tattoo on her own.

So the following is my issues with tattoos that I'll never understand, because as I said, for me it's cool if they have meaning but there's no other reason for them.

1. Why get 2 tattoos with the same meaning like my friend did?

2. Do you really need tattoos to tell you something about yourself, like your independent, or strong, or do you get them for everyone else to know that you are independent or strong?

3. Why do you get tattoos on your backside? If it has meaning on your back, you'll only see it when you are staring at yourself in the mirror.

4. The inner ear. I have another friend that has the word "love" written in her inside flap of her ear and the only way you can see it is if you get up close to it. She can't make out what it says in a mirror. So why spend the money if you can't even see/read the tattoo?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I actually hate this mentality. Because it makes no sense. It's such 50's puritanical bullcrap. We perpetuate this stereotype that tattoos negatively impact the ability to get a job, and the only reason that tattoos negatively impact the ability to get a job is because we've always been told that tattoos negatively impact the ability to get a job.

Wanting a tattoo of a water color humming bird on her shoulder does not impact whether or not a person can or cannot correctly calculate the interest on a bank loan. Wanting a dragon to cover his calf does not impact whether or not a person knows and can apply laws justly or fairly. It's just such a disingenuous argument.

I agree with you that you shouldn't judge a person based on that, but it does happen. A professional place of employment (office, meeting outside clients, etc) will not hire someone with face or neck tattoos, or sometimes just visible tattoos. If I know that is the case (justified or not), why would I limit my employment opportunities by getting one of those kind of tattoos? Getting a job and moving up in the workplace is hard enough as it is already.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
BTW, hot girls with tattoos is really sexy. I'm not a huge fan of LOTS of tats, but a few subtle ones are hot.
I know what you mean but there are exceptions. I know this one hot girl that is covered in tats and looks great.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
2. Do you really need tattoos to tell you something about yourself, like your independent, or strong, or do you get them for everyone else to know that you are independent or strong?

This is the main reason why I never got a tattoo. To me it just seems like it is more for other people to look at. I'm not the kind of person that likes to draw attention to myself.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I agree with you that you shouldn't judge a person based on that, but it does happen. A professional place of employment (office, meeting outside clients, etc) will not hire someone with face or neck tattoos, or sometimes just visible tattoos. If I know that is the case (justified or not), why would I limit my employment opportunities by getting one of those kind of tattoos? Getting a job and moving up in the workplace is hard enough as it is already.

and it's not just tattoos. I agree that a tattoo doesn't affect your work ability but there are a lot of things you are judged on that have no bearing on your abilities. Name, hair, makeup, shoes, clothes, accent, facial hair, - I mean, a lot of jobs don't want you to wear jeans. What is the difference if you are in nice jeans vs. dress pants? It shouldn't make a difference, but it does. Tattoos, like a lot of these things are not currently considered professional. Doesn't mean it's right, but it probably won't change until all the young people with tattoos are the executives making the hiring decisions.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I have two that I wish I hadn't gotten. Since I have them, I am planning on doing either a cover up or blending in something related to my kids so they're more personal to me.

If someone wants to get one, I'd advise them to stay away from the flash pieces and get one that has meaning to them. There are too many really good artists out there to settle for something shoddy looking that's permanently on your body.

And count me in the crew that is not a fan of anything on the neck or above.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Serious question because now I'm intrigued.

The only thing on this lady thats attractive is her face. Everything else is blugh. Opinions?

tumblr_lhf3o4z0Mt1qbns65o1_500.jpg

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No tattoos yet. I've been designing the one that I want to get for the last decade. If it's going to be on my body for the rest of my life, it has to be absolutely perfect. Essentially it's a coat of arms that I've been designing for the last decade (and want to register with the American College of Heraldry), and there's always been something about it that I just don't like, and with that being the case I won't put it on my body. I'm getting really close to final design, though, so now it's more of a finances issue.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

It does potentially impact that person's reception by customers, clients, etc. Rightly or wrongly, how many people do you think will want to get a mortgage from this guy?

Screen shot 2014-08-08 at 11.37.27 AM.png

If you have an advertising agency, do you really feel good about sending this guy in to do your initial meet-and-greet with a Fortune 500 company?

First impressions matter. They may not be everything but they do matter.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Here's the thing about tattoos in the workplace. Even if there is no explicit policy against visible tattoos it can still affect you. The interviewer or manager may dislike them personally and judge you not by your work but what he thinks of people with tattoos. They might not even be doing it consciously. They might not hate tattoos at all but when they form a first impression of you vs. someone else without visible tattoos they may just get the feeling that the other person might be more conservative and a safer bet.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It does potentially impact that person's reception by customers, clients, etc. Rightly or wrongly, how many people do you think will want to get a mortgage from this guy?

View attachment 27793

If you have an advertising agency, do you really feel good about sending this guy in to do your initial meet-and-greet with a Fortune 500 company?

First impressions matter. They may not be everything but they do matter.
I bet he's a shoe in at Jimmy Johns though.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Serious question because now I'm intrigued.

The only thing on this lady thats attractive is her face. Everything else is blugh. Opinions?

tumblr_lhf3o4z0Mt1qbns65o1_500.jpg

I'm not much of a fan of the sleeves and big elaborate art pieces that cover entire sections of the body. But c'mon, you wouldn't?

I've had plenty of lady-friends with a tat or 2 on different parts of the body that were quite nice.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is the main reason why I never got a tattoo. To me it just seems like it is more for other people to look at. I'm not the kind of person that likes to draw attention to myself.

Some are obviously for attention, but it's definitely not fair to group them all together.