Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
ed9e649553bdfd305987604192fbcb6d.jpg

That's my credo. Nahmsayin?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I just think the human body can be a beautiful thing, but putting colors and designs all over it just seems somehow wrong-ish.

I do understand the old military fore-arm tattoo and have no problem with a small or discreet tattoo. I do generally get negative first impressions when I seek someone with extensive tattoos and/or piercings.

Just being an old person, I guess.

(No, I won't be getting one)

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Two of my friends (both are cops) have full sleeves on one arm. One is really cool and one is alright. They look good now but I think they'll look really weird when they're 40+ years old.

I don't have a tattoo and I don't think I will ever get one. If I do I have one rule that I think everyone should live by: it has to be able to be covered up by a t-shirt. Nothing on your wrists or neck (DUMB) or face (REALLY DUMB).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am 35 and I currently have none. I have two that I really want but I am always hesitant to spend money on myself.

The one I want most is my boys birth dates in roman numerals on my arm.

The second is a viking symbol either on probably my other shoulder.

images

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I dislike needles and don't even have my ears pierced, so that's a no for me.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Two of my friends (both are cops) have full sleeves on one arm. One is really cool and one is alright. They look good now but I think they'll look really weird when they're 40+ years old.

I don't have a tattoo and I don't think I will ever get one. If I do I have one rule that I think everyone should live by: it has to be able to be covered up by a t-shirt. Nothing on your wrists or neck (DUMB) or face (REALLY DUMB).

Personally I think it's smart to be able to at least cover your tattoos with a long sleeve shirt. A lot more places of business are more relaxed about tattoos now but you don't want it to, even unconsciously, affect you chances of getting or keeping a job.

Of course by the time my kids are old enough to get full time jobs their bosses will all have full sleeves and facial tattoos

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I don't mind tattoos. I have 2. The only regret I have is who I had do the tattoos. It was supposed to be a joker and the queen of hearts and it looks like prince and Rosanne Barr. I've learned to embrace them. Good conversation piece.
You can't tell us something like this without a picture.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
BTW, hot girls with tattoos is really sexy. I'm not a huge fan of LOTS of tats, but a few subtle ones are hot.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I'm old enough now to recall a time when tattoos were only really seen on "rough" people or rebels of one flavor or another, and perhaps the occasional enlisted military man. Unheard of to see on a woman who wasn't on the back of a Harley. It doesn't ring a negative bell in my head like it did 25-30 years ago. I tend to think of it more as someone who chooses to treat their body as a canvas and share something with the world, mostly about themselves or their perspective on whatever they care deeply about. I know they're basically mainstream now, but if the ink hits the neck and/or face or covers a lot of area of the body, that still strikes me as odd and non-mainstream. It not something that even phases me anymore as every other suburban mom and dad at the subdivision pool has a little something on an ankle, shoulder, wrist.

I have often chuckled at the thought of our caregivers in 30-40 years who will working these nursing homes. I'm sure it will be a common question from the nurses working to care for the elderly of 2040 and beyond to say, "What's that tattoo supposed to be?" Faded ink on saggy, stretched canvasses. What will we think of our 'art' then?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Haha - no. Definitely no. I think EVERYTHING sags on women when they're 90.

Or younger...

I saw a hilarious photo on Facebook of a woman who was probably in her sixties, getting a flag tattoed on her batwing. Her reasoning? "If they're going to be flapping & waving every time I raise my arms, might as well have something worth waving on them."

I like her style! :)

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I have 15 tattoos, and am 6ish hours into another 20+ hour piece that will count as one but will take up pretty much my whole back.

I have some really nerdy tattoos (I have Doctor Doom as a half sleeve on my right arm) and a bunch of stuff that is personal and will never have any meaning except to me and maybe a few other people that remember. I don't regret a single one of them, and when I look back on pictures of myself, I always feel like there is something missing.

I also have piercings because of reasons.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm old enough now to recall a time when tattoos were only really seen on "rough" people or rebels of one flavor or another, and perhaps the occasional enlisted military man. Unheard of to see on a woman who wasn't on the back of a Harley. It doesn't ring a negative bell in my head like it did 25-30 years ago. I tend to think of it more as someone who chooses to treat their body as a canvas and share something with the world, mostly about themselves or their perspective on whatever they care deeply about. I know they're basically mainstream now, but if the ink hits the neck and/or face or covers a lot of area of the body, that still strikes me as odd and non-mainstream. It not something that even phases me anymore as every other suburban mom and dad at the subdivision pool has a little something on an ankle, shoulder, wrist.

I have often chuckled at the thought of our caregivers in 30-40 years who will working these nursing homes. I'm sure it will be a common question from the nurses working to care for the elderly of 2040 and beyond to say, "What's that tattoo supposed to be?" Faded ink on saggy, stretched canvasses. What will we think of our 'art' then?

I remember when one tattoo was rebellious too.

It seems that since tattoos are no longer taboo by themselves people feel the need to tattoo their entire body and get 20 piercings in order to show how extreme they are. That's cringe-worthy to me.

I also cringe when I see cliche and trendy tattoos, particularly on young people.

Yeah, that barb wire on your bicep is really edgy. Nope, you wont regret that tramp stamp. Yes, get a tattoo of Calvin peeing on your rival schools logo.

The people that have real artwork tattooed on them impress me.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008

full-body.jpg

A properly-cared for tattoo can look amazing for 100 years :)

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I didn't believe you at first, but I take it back. That is a spot on portrait of Prince and Rosanne. My condolences.
Yeah, if the artist was going for Rosanne and Prince he ******* nailed it.