NBA Draft 2014

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Agree completely. It is too bad they didn't get to hear their name called, and I believe there is some guaranteed money involved with being drafted in the second round. Where people lost me was in asserting that it is unconscionable that they didn't get drafted. There are a lot of really good players that don't get drafted for various reasons, usually age and projectability to the NBA. You see guys like Sean Kilpatrick, Patric Young, CJ Fair, all who were just as good college players, not getting drafted and you realize that a lot of very good players don't get to hear their name.

I understand what you're writing here, and I understand why GM's and teams draft the way they do in the 2nd round, but for me, picking a bunch of European guys in the 2nd round over guys like Kane and Ejim, and even the guys you mentioned like Patric Young and Kilpatrick is the exact reason WHY I'm not a big NBA fan. I would much rather watch guys I've watched play and pay attention to them rather than some Euro dude who might not even make it over here to play anyway.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I don't know if this makes ISU fans like Marcus Smart or just reinforces what a classless jerk he is. Last night at the NBA Draft Marcus Smart pulled a total punk move. He was going around shaking hands with people on his way up to the podium after being drafted when he found himself approaching the table where Wiggins' family was sitting with Bill Self. Self stood up to shake his hand and as soon as Smart saw that it was Self he turned and walked away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKn0LDKHDgY

Bizarro.

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
I don't know if this makes ISU fans like Marcus Smart or just reinforces what a classless jerk he is. Last night at the NBA Draft Marcus Smart pulled a total punk move. He was going around shaking hands with people on his way up to the podium after being drafted when he found himself approaching the table where Wiggins' family was sitting with Bill Self. Self stood up to shake his hand and as soon as Smart saw that it was Self he turned and walked away.

Bizarro.

Seems pretty clear to me he was going the wrong way and being directed back on track.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

Bizarro.

Smart is a punk and I don't see that changing

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area

Bizarro.

What a ****. Self is a class act.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Bizarro.

Or he was walking toward Self and had a guy grab his arm and direct him while another guy pointed to go the other way. Whichever fits your agenda.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa

Bizarro.

Hmm this just means Smart doesn't like what I don't like...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
He got traded almost immediately.

He was traded before the pick was even made. I'm pretty sure Orlando told Denver to pick him.

Is the draft over already? There's only 2 rounds?

It is only 2 rounds, which is probably one round to many. Ive always thought it should be 45 picks, where the lottery teams get 2 picks. The second round is pretty much useless anymore, and teams are picking players that they don't have to spend much money on.

Wow... This thread brings it.

I think it's pretty obvious why a guy like Marble gets drafted over a guy like Kane. First, it is pretty clear from the draft that the NBA respects the type of ball played in the B10 more so than the B12. Second, Marble was a damn good player now. Imagine how good he would have been at the collegiate level if he were Kane's age... I mean it really is a huge advantage to be that much older than the guys you're playing against. It's all about what a player can become at the NBA level, and it's clear at his age Marble has a greater upside.

Yep, you're clueless.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Ok, so how about a guy like C.J. Wilcox? His team lost a ton of games this year. They could have used his offensive help. What was his heart rating? It must have been off the charts, because he got drafted in the first round.

Actually Uthoff looked pretty good at the end in the last games. Maybe he can lead them.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Go on.......he laid it out clearly why marble has much more upside and was a much wiser pick than Kane.

Butthurtedness of being a biased fan doesnt override common sense and facts.

I didn't read anything past where he said the NBA respects B1G over the Big 12, which is a clueless statement. Marble does not have more upside at all, he is simply a better investment based off his age. Kane will easily have a better NBA career, it just won't be as long. To think a player is better simply because he got drafted and the other didn't is also a clueless statement.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Go on.......he laid it out clearly why marble has much more upside and was a much wiser pick than Kane.

Same goes for you're friend. Nobody had a problem with the age vs youth reasoning. But half of his argument was this gem...based entirely on biased opinion despite glaring statistics that state otherwise.

"I think it's pretty obvious why a guy like Marble gets drafted over a guy like Kane. First, it is pretty clear from the draft that the NBA respects the type of ball played in the B10 more so than the B12."

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
I didn't read anything past where he said the NBA respects B1G over the Big 12, which is a clueless statement. Marble does not have more upside at all, he is simply a better investment based off his age. Kane will easily have a better NBA career, it just won't be as long. To think a player is better simply because he got drafted and the other didn't is also a clueless statement.

I see. Not getting drafted is a clever ploy by college players to play much longer NBA careers than those players the NBA deemed not as worthy by not drafting.

Obviously, the NBA is in on this great plan of yours. ROTFLOL.

You realize that NBA execs make a living at this? Nah....a few biased fans on CF have it figured out!

Welp, I didn't get drafted either so by your logic.....never mind

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Whoa whoa whoa. "Much wiser pick?" Let's slow down a little. Marble was 6 picks away from not getting drafted. Bilas had him only a few spots better than Kane. Don't act like there was this huge gap between them. I mean, we're still talking about a late 2nd round pick. Players taken there still have lots of question marks. Not exactly a sure thing. Marbles youth was his advantage, but "much wiser" is just trolling.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I see. Not getting drafted is a clever ploy by college players to play much longer NBA careers than those players the NBA deemed not as worthy by not drafting.

Obviously, the NBA is in on this great plan of yours. ROTFLOL.

You realize that NBA execs make a living at this? Nah....a few biased fans on CF have it figured out!

Welp, I didn't get drafted either so by your logic.....never mind

Comprehension must not be your strong point. Not surprised. I never once said that Kane will have a longer career; in fact, I specifically said he is the better investment based on his age. I think we agree on that, correct?

What I am trying to point out, and this is just my opinion, is that Kane's talent ceiling in the NBA is much higher than Marble's, but Marble is the better investment as you will get more longevity out of him. All I have seen from you Hawk fans the past few days is you trying to draw illogical conclusions that Marble is a better overall player than Kane because he got drafted, and Kane didn't. Thats not how the draft works, and your logic is extremely flawed.

My argument is not biased at all. I challenge you to find me one person who has a vast knowledge of the NBA to tell me that Marble is more talented player than Kane. Good luck!

Last edited:

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Comprehension must not be your strong point. Not surprised. I never once said that Kane will have a longer career; in fact, I specifically said he is the better investment based on his age. I think we agree on that, correct?

What I am trying to point out, and this is just my opinion, is that Kane's talent ceiling in the NBA is much higher than Marble's, but Marble is the better investment as you will get more longevity out of him. All I have seen from you Hawk fans the past few days is you trying to draw illogical conclusions that Marble is a better overall player than Kane because he got drafted, and Kane didn't. Thats not how the draft works, and your logic is extremely flawed.

My argument is not biased at all. I challenge you to find me one person who has a vast knowledge of the NBA to tell me that Marble is more talented player than Kane. Good luck!

If you don't say it, then I will. Kane will have a longer career. Much longer. Marble isn't even going to make the team, and if by some fluke he makes it, he'll burn out fast.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Actually Uthoff looked pretty good at the end in the last games. Maybe he can lead them.

Uthoff agrees

attachment.php