NBA Draft 2014

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There is some painfully stupid stuff I this thread. Just cringe-worthy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Exactly. Can't Cyclone fans just be disappointed that their guys didn't get drafted, whether expected or not? Good thing all these NBA experts popped on this morning to tell us about what was expected. I know about the NBA too, it doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed.

It isn't like we were expecting Ellerman to hear his name last night; Kane did have a shot at being drafted.

bingo. Outside of clones being drafted we may have 20 nba fans on this board tops, we may argue with each other for years but we know who we are. For people who follow closely Kane was projected all over the place.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
There were two big-ish deals earlier in the day. I also wonder if you wouldn't have seen more deals if Philly had passed on Embiid.

Yeah it was like the first big domino never fell, Embiid sliding, Love getting moved, Rondo getting moved. I thought after Gordon went at four it might start to get crazy but then Exum-Smart-Randle went off the board and things were back in order.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Looks like our guys are going to have to play their way into the NBA, having to fight for respect, just like everything else they done. Work hard and make it happen guys!

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Yeah it was like the first big domino never fell, Embiid sliding, Love getting moved, Rondo getting moved. I thought after Gordon went at four it might start to get crazy but then Exum-Smart-Randle went off the board and things were back in order.

Yea, Vonleh was the only real big slider, and even that wasn't too extreme. The McDermott to Chicago trade was interesting, though. And Toronto's head-scratcher pick was entertaining.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think we all wanted that, but it doesn't mean we should all act like some sort of injustice was carried out just because it didn't happen.

Yeah, I think the main issue here is that Marble got drafted and a lot of fans then turned this into an Iowa/ISU thread, which I'd rather not see.

Marble getting drafted just continues to crush the Iowa narrative that they'll be just as talented next year. Um what?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Exactly. Can't Cyclone fans just be disappointed that their guys didn't get drafted, whether expected or not? Good thing all these NBA experts popped on this morning to tell us about what was expected. I know about the NBA too, it doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed.

It isn't like we were expecting Ellerman to hear his name last night; Kane did have a shot at being drafted.

Agree completely. It is too bad they didn't get to hear their name called, and I believe there is some guaranteed money involved with being drafted in the second round. Where people lost me was in asserting that it is unconscionable that they didn't get drafted. There are a lot of really good players that don't get drafted for various reasons, usually age and projectability to the NBA. You see guys like Sean Kilpatrick, Patric Young, CJ Fair, all who were just as good college players, not getting drafted and you realize that a lot of very good players don't get to hear their name.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anybody have clips of the commentators talking about Kane and Ejim? It was clear that they thought our guys were close to being picked.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yea, Vonleh was the only real big slider, and even that wasn't too extreme. The McDermott to Chicago trade was interesting, though. And Toronto's head-scratcher pick was entertaining.

I thought Chicago got exactly what they wanted last night, they were able to use both of their picks to move up and get one of the two elite shooters in the draft and not hinder their pursuit of Carmelo, or even LeBron. I really didn't like OKC's draft. Philly is obviously gearing up for another terrible year but I think that's the strategy that gives them the best shot at real long term success. Also found it interesting that Minnesota and Charlotte picked guys that play the same position from the same school in the first round in back to back years, but I have no idea if this has happen often before.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Awesome night for the Pacers. One throwaway pick at #57 that they used to draft a goddamn Frenchman who they promptly traded to the Knicks for cash. Larry Bird's opening line at his postdraft press conference? "Well, that was a waste of two weeks."

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Agree completely. It is too bad they didn't get to hear their name called, and I believe there is some guaranteed money involved with being drafted in the second round. Where people lost me was in asserting that it is unconscionable that they didn't get drafted. There are a lot of really good players that don't get drafted for various reasons, usually age and projectability to the NBA. You see guys like Sean Kilpatrick, Patric Young, CJ Fair, all who were just as good college players, not getting drafted and you realize that a lot of very good players don't get to hear their name.

I think you should only be able to draft players that will be in the NBA or D-league net year. That stashing stuff is ******** and screws guys from over here who have worked their *** off at a high level of competition.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006

On Toronto's pick, "two years away from being two years away" was the quote of the night.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
this is certainly a point worth noting.

Hoiberg obviously went out on a limb for Royce White to get drafted.

maybe the NBA executives no longer trust Hoiberg to give them the straight scoop on players.

It certainly makes sense why Kane wasnt drafted then. Character counts.

This could have an impact going forward on attracting the rogues to Ames if the NBA starts black balling them.

A whole lot of BS in this post. NBA people have a lot of respect for Fred, and have said that they were that much more impressed with his ability to handle that type of personality. DK was about age, and he is getting his shot. Smart got physical with an old man in the crowd during a game and went 6, so it's obvious that the NBA is willing to look past a little history.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You have to think that Hoiberg made some important calls last night to help get some opportunities for his guys. He knows where they will fit best.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I think you should only be able to draft players that will be in the NBA or D-league net year. That stashing stuff is ******** and screws guys from over here who have worked their *** off at a high level of competition.

The NFL rule is that you can sit out a year and get redrafted, isn't it? That might be a solution.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

No foreign guys work hard. Got it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
On Toronto's pick, "two years away from being two years away" was the quote of the night.

It was right up there with Wiggins' suit, Stauskas's secret handshake, and Bill Simmons getting caught fist-pumping on camera after Boston's James Young pick as most entertaining part of the night.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Paraprhasing Jalen Rose last night: it's a privilege, not a right to get to play in the NBA and get drafted. Lots of good players don't get drafted.

If the team's don't think a guy is good enough to justifying eating up limited cap space and roster spots, why should they be forced to take on a guaranteed contract or camp spot?

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
It was right up there with Wiggins' suit, Stauskas's secret handshake, and Bill Simmons getting caught fist-pumping on camera after Boston's James Young pick as most entertaining part of the night.
Those others were good too. Missed the fist pump. Overall good draft.