NBA Draft 2014

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Agree. It actually speaks to FH and his ability to coach guys up. Two guys not even drafted were on the same B12 first team with the #1, #3 and #6 overall picks. Let that sink in.

The two still have a chance.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Kane's playing on the Laker's summer league team. Nice spot considering they currently have a bunch of open roster spots... I think the only set contracts are Randle, Nash, Kobe, Sacre...

Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria 18m
Former Iowa State G @King_Kane50 will play summer league with the Lakers, agent Andy Miller tells @SNYtv
My guess is the Lakers would like Nash to move on at this point with his physical problems and drawing a big check.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Kane's playing on the Laker's summer league team. Nice spot considering they currently have a bunch of open roster spots... I think the only set contracts are Randle, Nash, Kobe, Sacre... Adam Zagoria@AdamZagoria 18m Former Iowa State G @King_Kane50 will play summer league with the Lakers, agent Andy Miller tells @SNYtv
That's a GREAT spot for Kane to end up. Sometimes being undrafted is a blessing. You get to choose the best fit. Good for him. When Nash breaks down again he will have major minutes available to him and his toughness and competitiveness will get Kobe talking about him which goes a long ways.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
You can look at it from any angle. Either he a) just had the Big 12 POY and NOY go undrafted or he b) runs a system where guys that aren't good enough to get drafted won POY and NOY in the toughest conference in basketball. The primary knocks on Kane (age) and Ejim (tweener size) and not basketball related and in no way could ever be used to negatively reflect on Hoiberg or ISU basketball. Sure it would be great for the program to have them drafted but it's definitely not a knock on the program that they weren't.

And we knew going into this year that those would be the knocks on those guys and they would have to perform at an ultra-high level to even get into the draft discussion. As I said before, nothing that happened last night is a surprise.

That being said, he got a known nut-case drafted and a 25-year old and the definition of a tweener forward on the verge of being drafted. At some point you have to think that a smart player/handler is going to connect the dots on what Hoiberg could do for the stock of a kid that actually should be projected as an NBA pick.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
The two still have a chance.

Oh absolutely. And 2nd round picks aren't guaranteed contracts anyway. Another reason why everyone going nuclear over them not getting drafted is silly. Kane and Ejim will both get a chance to prove they belong on the court.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Agree. It actually speaks to FH and his ability to coach guys up. Two guys not even drafted were on the same B12 first team with the #1, #3 and #6 overall picks. Let that sink in.
Exactly. Pitch this fact to guys that have the size and talent to be NBA draft picks and ISU will start landing those guys. Hoiberg provides the system to succeed and the Big 12 provides the stage to have that success noticed by the NBA. There's no negatives coming out of this draft for either Hoiberg or ISU.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
Did he get traded already, or did I mis-read my ESPN mobile app?

Yes. Chad Ford reported that the Nuggets GM checked Cyclonefantic.com and realized what a huge mistake taking Marble was. He quickly traded the pick to the Magic for a used jock strap and a bag of fun sized Snicker candy bars.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So on a non-ISU player note, I was somewhat surprised at the lack of trades last night, I thought we might see a lot more and some bigger names get moved last night, but it didn't pan out that way.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Trust is a huge deal. Burn me once, shame on you. ....burn me twice....

You know the rest.

This is quality trolling. Good work bed.

And in all seriousness, that pick was always going be a gamble that was mostly destined to be easily moved flotsam when a big free agent came available. I doubt McHale or Morey give two ***** that Royce didn't work or would think twice about taking another ISU guy if they like him.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
You know, with all of what's being said here, my only thought is "I'm disappointed for our guys, that they didn't get to hear their names called". THAT is what sucks to me. I believe they will have a chance as free agents, but dammit, I wanted them to get that thrill.

Exactly. Can't Cyclone fans just be disappointed that their guys didn't get drafted, whether expected or not? Good thing all these NBA experts popped on this morning to tell us about what was expected. I know about the NBA too, it doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed.

It isn't like we were expecting Ellerman to hear his name last night; Kane did have a shot at being drafted.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
So on a non-ISU player note, I was somewhat surprised at the lack of trades last night, I thought we might see a lot more and some bigger names get moved last night, but it didn't pan out that way.

There were two big-ish deals earlier in the day. I also wonder if you wouldn't have seen more deals if Philly had passed on Embiid.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Exactly. Can't Cyclone fans just be disappointed that their guys didn't get drafted, whether expected or not? Good thing all these NBA experts popped on this morning to tell us about what was expected. I know about the NBA too, it doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed.

It isn't like we were expecting Ellerman to hear his name last night; Kane did have a shot at being drafted.

I think we all wanted that, but it doesn't mean we should all act like some sort of injustice was carried out just because it didn't happen.