Torrent Brewing Company

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
It's cool man, someone needs to drink up the Bud Light..

i don't drink bud light. my point was it seems everyone and their brother now has a microbrewery and like someone said, there are a lot of crappy brews out there. i'm not much of a beer guy (more into whiskies) but while I appreciate a good craft brew it appears to me the scale may be tipping soon back to the bad places closing and the good ones consolidating.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Am I the only one over the microbrew craze?

....depends on how you define that...

Am I over turning my nose up at a well brewed light lager? Yes (Sorry Chris, Busch Light still don't qualify here)
Am I over regularly sampling something different when I see it? No
Am I over paying close to $10 a six pack when I know the material inputs and brewing process don't warrant that price (simple, normal beers): Yes
Am I over good beer: No

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
i don't drink bud light. my point was it seems everyone and their brother now has a microbrewery and like someone said, there are a lot of crappy brews out there. i'm not much of a beer guy (more into whiskies) but while I appreciate a good craft brew it appears to me the scale may be tipping soon back to the bad places closing and the good ones consolidating.

The bad ones will close. The good ones will be just fine. A lot of them make my money by being fun places to go and drink, even if the beer is less than great (so long as its good).

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Am I over turning my nose up at a well brewed light lager? Yes (Sorry Chris, Busch Light still don't qualify here)
Am I over regularly sampling something different when I see it? No
Am I over paying close to $10 a six pack when I know the material inputs and brewing process don't warrant that price (simple, normal beers): Yes
Am I over good beer: No

perfect rationale. The local microbrewery here has $6 pints. The manufacturing process at that level won't allow for cost-saving production methods but at that price I'd rather have a glass of 12 year old bourbon.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Hey, kinda ties into my other post...yeah...I agree. I was recently in Arizona and went to a brewpub. When I can taste and identify the off flavors because they are so bad...that's not good.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
perfect rationale. The local microbrewery here has $6 pints. The manufacturing process at that level won't allow for cost-saving production methods but at that price I'd rather have a glass of 12 year old bourbon.

That's not a competitive price. My local brewery, which is without question the most heralded brewery in Iowa (Toppling Goliath) sells pints for $4.25.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
One of the guys behind it posts here & also runs Arrowhead Hops. Username is clonebydesign. Good dude. I've bought hop rhizomes from him.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
How do we compare micros? I mean, is there like tier level? I think you have to have some kind of metric to grade these beers, but for my money most crafts I've sampled have been good to great. Keep going to these places. When you go to a bad one, don't go back. The problem will resolve itself.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
My new local brew pub in CR has a wheat and an IPA that I think are better than a lot I've had. And they're only 4 bucks. And I would drink those over a pint of various domestics any day.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
If the beer is good, theyll do fine. Olde Main sucks. Dont know how they sell the volume they do.