Torrent Brewing Company

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
$1 pint night, assuming they still do that, sure moves a lot.

Their beer is fine. Not the best, but certainly better than the cheap stuff.

Their food is remarkably mediocre, and overpriced.

Yeah I used to go to the $1 pint night when it first started. I could handle the Clone ale back then but it just seemed to get worse and worse. And they have only brewed an IPA once or twice that I remember, which is just ridiculous with IPAs being so popular and most breweries having one on tap year round. I'm complete opposite, if I go there, it's to eat. At least the cheap stuff is cheap, and consistent.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I enjoy Dinky Wheat and Off Kilter from Olde Main. That said I only drink it at pint night.

Everything else from there has been pretty underwhelming.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
OT - Al, any chance the Galaxy or King Sue will still be around the first weekend in May? They doing growlers of either?

Thanks

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Well since it is me this thread is about I guess I bettermake an appearance. FYI we will beoffering a discount if you show a ticket before or after Cyclone Football andMen’s/ Women’s Basketball games for Cyclone Nation to enjoy! I hope you all give us a try once we open andfind a few beers you like. If you guyshave any questions please feel free to ask.

Go Cyclones!
Looking for any bartenders?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
i don't drink bud light. my point was it seems everyone and their brother now has a microbrewery and like someone said, there are a lot of crappy brews out there. i'm not much of a beer guy (more into whiskies) but while I appreciate a good craft brew it appears to me the scale may be tipping soon back to the bad places closing and the good ones consolidating.

That is why we NEED more microbrewries. I know Capitalism is a dirty word on the Internet, but the good breweries will do better and flourish, whereas the crappy ones will improve or close down. :yes:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
That is why we NEED more microbrewries. I know Capitalism is a dirty word on the Internet, but the good breweries will do better and flourish, whereas the crappy ones will improve or close down. :yes:

stalin-o.gif

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Yeah we are looking for people with similar qualifications, do you know any? If everyone drinks us out of beer well make even more and that will be good for everyone!

I may be able to round up a few people. We drink for coupons and buy 4 get one free kinda deals.

And tasty beer. That is really what we are after.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
Wanted to answer a few questions I've received. The brewery will focus on beer and thus we will serve no food (possibly a light lunch menu in the future) other than pretzels, peanuts, popcorn etc., but we do allow and encourage food to be brought in or ordered for delivery. We will have some local food establishments (think BBQ, Tacos etc.) setup at the brewery on a rotation. As for an opening date were aiming for an August/ September ballpark right now. It all depends on construction getting done and permitting going through. Also like was mentioned before we are theArrowhead Hops guys so fresh locally grown hops are something that will be abig part of some of the beers. Thanks for the great feedback and feel free tokeep pm’ing me questions or asking in the thread.
Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Wanted to answer a few questions I've received. The brewery will focus on beer and thus we will serve no food (possibly a light lunch menu in the future) other than pretzels, peanuts, popcorn etc., but we do allow and encourage food to be brought in or ordered for delivery. We will have some local food establishments (think BBQ, Tacos etc.) setup at the brewery on a rotation. As for an opening date were aiming for an August/ September ballpark right now. It all depends on construction getting done and permitting going through. Also like was mentioned before we are theArrowhead Hops guys so fresh locally grown hops are something that will be abig part of some of the beers. Thanks for the great feedback and feel free tokeep pm’ing me questions or asking in the thread.
Go Cyclones!

How much work are you putting into the building? At one point about 7 or 8 years ago, my old company was considering moving to that building but the parking and a few other things really limited what we could do. Also, IPA's, and plenty of them please!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Go Cyclones!

Are there any particular styles you plan on highlighting? Olde Main seems to have the bases covered on maltier, more approachable beers, so it would be nice to see some local Ames Hop Bombs!

Really looking forward to stopping in before football games, or during any Ames visits. I also like that you guys are focusing on beer first and inviting food in. I think that makes it easier to make good beer, and I think in the current climate, the new breweries that are really catching on in Iowa (Confluence, Toppling Goliath, 515) all take that approach. IMO it's a good move for you guys.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How much work are you putting into the building? At one point about 7 or 8 years ago, my old company was considering moving to that building but the parking and a few other things really limited what we could do. Also, IPA's, and plenty of them please!

I need a Session IPA I'm a volume drinker.

Clonebydesign

Jul 21, 2009
Ames
We’ll have a core lineup of beers that are offered yearround so that you’ll always know they’ll be on tap but we really want to keepthings fresh with a nice rotating lineup throughout the year. In addition we love a good hop bomb IPA II& III (since I have a hop farm naturally well do wet hop beers) but thebeers will be balanced. Anotherdirection that we want to go is a barrel aged and sour beer program. So don’t think well do just the same oldstuff, I wouldn’t be doing this if I were.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Wanted to add another poster on here...

delt4cy is opening up a distillery in Milwaukee, website is thecentralstandard.com.

Done.

That's pretty impressive, having 3 different places among the posters here.