Pedestrian Bridge

kludger

Jun 24, 2010
Ames, IA
With the South End Zone / ISU Entrance project, what are the chances we get a pedestrian bridge (or tunnel?) to cross University Blvd at South 16th? While they are at it, put one at University and South 4th, too. Seems like that would help traffic flow and maybe even create a grander "entrance"?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That would be very cool and convenient, but is it in the scope of the project? Also, wouldn't the city have to weigh in on that as well?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
But that would ruin the fun of dodging traffic on University while attempting to conceal the last beer I am drinking before going into the game.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
It should be a no brainer at this point. Would help traffic flow and improve public safety.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Retailers design huge parking lots for one weekend. We can have a pedestrian bridge for 6 or 7 games. It would really help the traffic flow and be a cool design.

I'm not sure if building it would change the legality of open containers as you cross the street. You can have open containers because ISU allows you to drink on their property (which is against state law as they have a site-specific liquor license but it's overlooked) while the City of Ames does not allow open containers on public property. Crossing the street still means you would have to cross City right-of-way where city law applies. The local ordinance would need to be changed to allow open containers in specific parts of town on specific days, which may be a political battle. On the other hand, you don't want to bite the hands that feeds you.

Last edited:

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
It would be cool and get used more than just football days. Iowa games, intramural field access, even people just out for a walk would use it. If you want to make a grand entrance, why not also make it functional.

Something like this might fit in nicely:

LC Clock Tower.jpg

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Make it just like what UNI did for the Unidome. For more functionality, use ramps rather than stairs to have it connected to the city bike trails. The lead up would need more space, but I'm sure that could be arranged.

Or just do it like the tunnel for Hilton. The road is high enough that they may not have make the tunnel much lower than the area around it.

Last edited:

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Count me among those that would like to see this added. Could be a nice addition to the facilities and would improve safety and game day experience.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Retailers design huge parking lots for one weekend. We can have a pedestrian bridge for 6 or 7 games. It would really help the traffic flow and be a cool design.

I'm not sure if building it would change the legality of open containers as you cross the street. You can have open containers because ISU allows you to drink on their property (which is against state law as they have a site-specific liquor license but it's overlooked) while the City of Ames does not allow open containers on public property. Crossing the street still means you would have to cross City right-of-way where city law applies. The local ordinance would need to be changed to allow open containers in specific parts of town on specific days, which may be a political battle. On the other hand, you don't want to bite the hands that feeds you.

Maybe they could design it like the IKEA escalators. You ride on one side and they would have a separate belt that would carry your beer over without you having to hold it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I brought this idea up this summer and most thought it was a dumb idea. But it improves safety and tragic flow, winwin.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

Not positive on this but I think the school is more or less in charge of the street when it owns property on both sides of it.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Some of you have no idea how much it would cost to tunnel under a road. It will be so ridiculously out of reach.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The issue with a tunnel would be storm sewers and other utilities that may run under the street.

Also University avenue is set up to be a levee against the squaw creek so in order to do the tunnel idea they would need to put large floodgates on the tunnel ends.

Help Support Us

Become a patron