Pedestrian Bridge

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If it's a myth, why did they spend all that time & money raising up the roadbed & resurfacing?

Most roads, when built, are built above the base flood elevation so they don't wash out during floods. I would assume that this was why the road bed was built up, but I don't know. I do know that it was never intended to be a levee. It has been considered before (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...-considers-levee-to-safeguard-Hilton-Coliseum), but it will likely never happen.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I propose a series of pneumatic tubes to deliver tailgaters to the game from the other side of University. Works at my bank REALLY well.

Air cannon, with a landing pad on the other side. Imagine the lines...

Oh, and not nearly the capital expense of a bridge!

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
So I really haven't read much of this thread, but basically we're going to be doing this (unless it's more of an Iowa City idea):

[video=youtube;AEZjzsnPhnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw[/video]

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I think another flaw (of many many flaws) would be that the approach would have to be huge to go as high as it would need to be. It would have to be high enough for semis and buses ect. Approaches on these such as this have to be a certain pitch (dont know the appropriate terms) to meet minimum handicap rules ect to get wheelchairs up and down. This would put the start of the bridge at approximately the entrance to the student lot actually prob greater than that. On top of this there are 2 sides to the street so you would still have people crossing to get to the bridge. While it would be cool, it really isnt possible.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
If my Monorail idea is cost prohibitive then we go cable cars that go way higher than necessary and drop you at the new SEZ.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines
If it's a myth, why did they spend all that time & money raising up the roadbed & resurfacing?

I think people need to look up the definition of a levee. If the mound of soil prevents water from getting to the other side then its a levee. It doesn't have to be FEMA certified or built by the Army Corps to be a levee.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
If the walkway was 16 feet high the ramp would need to be 192 feet long. That's why you see either circle ramps (typically next to highways) or elevators (like in Vegas). I think the problem here is there is nothing nearby to architecturally tie-in the ramps. We would have a nice brick walkway but then a really long ramp or a windy circle to meet the 1/12 pitch. If I'm in a wheelchair I'd much rather wait and go flat across the street than go up and down a total of 384 feet.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If the walkway was 16 feet high the ramp would need to be 192 feet long. That's why you see either circle ramps (typically next to highways) or elevators (like in Vegas). I think the problem here is there is nothing nearby to architecturally tie-in the ramps. We would have a nice brick walkway but then a really long ramp or a windy circle to meet the 1/12 pitch. If I'm in a wheelchair I'd much rather wait and go flat across the street than go up and down a total of 384 feet.
So, then we build a parking ramp(s) on the east side of University (since we're snatching the intramural fields anyway), and stretch the walk(s) from those to the concourse level. Simple enough? :idea:

We'll need the extra parking with a sufficient expansion anyway.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This is Iowa State we can't get everyoneto wear a certain color. What makes you think you will get people (especially drunk students) to walk all the way up the stairs and then across and back down when they could just walk across. Hell you will probably have a few engineers fight with the cops over the added energy and how it could have been designed better.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
My only input is that if we're building a bridge, I hope for it to be grand and artistic and full of vigor....rather than be so...pedestrian.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
This is a huge waste of money if only used 6 times a year. Plus, pedestrian bridges are generally ugly unless a lot of excess money is put into design and construction. Fix up the intersection and crosswalks with wide brick walking lanes and other decorative lighting/features and call it good.