Best bars in Des Moines area

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
I have some buddies coming down all the way from Wisconsin and we're planning on doing some bar hopping in Des Moines. I don't know much about any of them in the area so I'm calling upon Cyclone Fanatic's expertise. What are some of your favorites? Any of them that are can't miss? Thanks for any suggestions!

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I have some buddies coming down all the way from Wisconsin and we're planning on doing some bar hopping in Des Moines. I don't know much about any of them in the area so I'm calling upon Cyclone Fanatic's expertise. What are some of your favorites? Any of them that are can't miss? Thanks for any suggestions!

If you like Beer El Bait Shop is a good place to go. Over 100 different beers on tap, good food (Fish Tacos and Philly Steak Nachos are awesome), and a good atmosphere.

Hessin Haus is good if you like german beer.

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
If you like Beer El Bait Shop is a good place to go. Over 100 different beers on tap, good food (Fish Tacos and Philly Steak Nachos are awesome), and a good atmosphere.

Hessin Haus is good if you like german beer.

Went to Hessin Haus once, it was pretty good. Gotta love das boot

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Blazing saddle is a gay bar for anyone that didn't get that joke by dosry

I love El Bait/Highlife and Hessen too. Haven't been yet, but would like to go to Up-Down (retro arcade style gaming bar from owners of Wooly's) in East Village.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Places that haven't been mentioned (El Bait/High Life are my favorites)

Carl's
Cooney's
Library
Shorty's
Greenwood Lounge
Alpine Tap
Locust Tap

If you like to drink, go to these places.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Good ones so far. An idea though...start at The Greenwood (Ingersoll) and head toward downtown. Grab a beer at every bar on the way, and see how far you get. There are a ton of 'holes' down that street. Good bars tho.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Ingersoll is a good bar district as well. More "downtown" than Beaverdale, less yuppy than West Glen.

Forgot about Ingersoll. West Glen can draw kind of that 'yuppie' crowd but that's like shooing people away from downtown because trashy people hang out down there. West Glen can be a good time