Best bars in Des Moines area

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not sure if mentioned and not sure if craft beer lover but Exile and Confluence can be easily stopped at.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Confluence is a great time with people who craft beers... Just watch out cause the beers sneak up on you fast.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Don't skip the Royal Mile.

But go upstairs to the Monk!

I would start at Bait shop to eat and have some great beers then move to 4th st. Avoid third street unless you are just trying to get some tail. Hessen Haus, PBR Bar, The Lift, and of course Royal Mile and Monk.

Then go over to Court Ave Brew Pub for a round of Root Downs. After that, if you feel ragey, hit third St. (Mickeys, Beer Can Alley, Echange, Johnny's) but I would probably head to Fongs for some late night slices

rudiskilz

Apr 28, 2010
West Des Moines
Just hop on the big yellow bike!

img1.jpg

The Big Yellow Bike

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is this a legit thing? I isn't know of any cougar bars. Time to go hunting

Denny Arthur's is, without question, the most ridiculous (in terms of hilarity and absurdity) bar scene I've experienced.

About 2/3rds of the clientele are people in their 40's-50's clearly trying to hook up. Dressed over the top and acting like a bunch of college kids. It's all you can do to keep from laughing the entire time. There's a massive dance floor. A pack of young single guys could just clean up on a Cougar pack in there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Denny Arthur's is, without question, the most ridiculous (in terms of hilarity and absurdity) bar scene I've experienced.

About 2/3rds of the clientele are people in their 40's-50's clearly trying to hook up. Dressed over the top and acting like a bunch of college kids. It's all you can do to keep from laughing the entire time. There's a massive dance floor. A pack of young single guys could just clean up on a Cougar pack in there.

This has been noted.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

100% accurate but the cougar quality is sub-par.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
But go upstairs to the Monk!

I would start at Bait shop to eat and have some great beers then move to 4th st. Avoid third street unless you are just trying to get some tail. Hessen Haus, PBR Bar, The Lift, and of course Royal Mile and Monk.

Then go over to Court Ave Brew Pub for a round of Root Downs. After that, if you feel ragey, hit third St. (Mickeys, Beer Can Alley, Echange, Johnny's) but I would probably head to Fongs for some late night slices

This is pretty strong itinerary here. I'd time Mickey's patio a bit based on the weather that night. Great place to hang, people watch. Love Royal Mile, chillin' at The Lift and can't top the fun at passin' das Boot at Hessen Haus!

Nice thing about going down to Court Ave area is there is such a variety, you can just keep hopping to the next place. R - don't drink and drive!

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Brecks has the hottest bartenders around and it's also the best bar in the history of the universe.
Lani does braless sundays for football just fyi, also OP Beer Can Alley will be great for your buddies if they are country boys