Gravity

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I plan on seeing this in the theater as well. The Reviews are really good so I'm pretty excited.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Its great, a completely unique film experience. This is the best I've ever seen 3D used. Never seen anything like it. Such an intense movie.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You two just might agree on something yet. I think the wifey wants to go, my mom may be in town tomorrow so maybe we do it then. Is it playing anywhere in central IA on IMAX?

Only IMAX theater in central Iowa is Science Center, and it doesn't look like it's playing there. Also, if you care about 3D the Science Center IMAX can't do 3D because it's a dome.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Saw it in IMAX and I agree. Amazing. This is the first time I have thought that 3D actually brings something additional to watching a movie.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Saw it yesterday on IMAX 3D. Great movie. I loathe Sandra Bullock and she still manages some real lame one liners like in every single movie she's in, but she does a great job.

No chance any movie beats this movie for Best Visual Effects at the Oscars. It's locked up. Bullock will be nominated as well and it's a shoo in for Best Pic nominee and probably director as well.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Going tonight. Saw the previews, thought it would suck. Not a Bullock fan. Pretty excited though after seeing the reviews.

98% on rotten tomatoes.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Going tonight. Saw the previews, thought it would suck. Not a Bullock fan. Pretty excited though after seeing the reviews.

98% on rotten tomatoes.

Never go off Rotten Tomatoes, IMO. Use Metacritic. It takes the nations' top critics and they give reviews on a point scale of 100. Rotten Tomatoes is skewed because 100 critics (which include random online bloggers, etc) could all like a movie and it ends up 100% but all it takes for a a 'fresh' tomato is anything over 65. So a movie could be over 90% on RT but a ton of reviews could really only say it's a 70. It's a bit misleading.

However with a film like Gravity, Metacritic has an average of 95 or so, meaning out of 45+ top critics, it's AVERAGING a 95. That is effing incredible. Something like 27 have given it a perfect 100/100.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I thought the previews looked absolutely terrible, like worst movie of the year. however everyone is raving about it, maybe I should hit this up.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Visually awesome. Very suspenseful. I have a feeling if you talked to an actual astronaut he would poke about a thousand holes in it from the start. That only made it a fraction of a bit worse for me.

Sounds and cinematography was awesome too. Sandra Bullock is very irritating at times
especially when she won't stop breathing extremely heavily when Clooney keeps telling her she is running out of oxygen and she can't effectively do anything at all an astronaut should be able to do

Good movie overall. And it was even cooler to watch than anything else. I could've watched an hour and a half of just the views of the Earth.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
I really don't know why people are raving about this movie so much. Outside of good visual effects the movie wasn't very good.

Last edited by a moderator: