Final Enrollment Numbers

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Did a quick search on the ISU website, but couldn't find anything. With today being the first day of classes, does anyone know what the final enrollment numbers are for this year? Would be curious to see how much they have increased since last year and if we have finally surpassed Iowa.

Just for reference, last years enrollment numbers per the ISU website (all of which were all time highs):

Total students: 31,040
Undergrad: 25,553
Graduate: 5,487
Freshman: 5,366

More info from last year can be found here: Iowa State University enrollment tops 31,000 - News Service - Iowa State University

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's not final yet. They released that notion a couple weeks ago.
Wait a couple weeks.

I can say this: the systems all act overloaded, and every classroom is booked solid.
I had to move a classroom, and I'm glad that I did it months ago before it was too late.

The place is packed. Things are overloaded. It's a record, but it won't be official for a couple weeks.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Campus is packed. Figure a few Freshmen will give it up at semester. It's time for the school to get there act together and either expand campus resources (classrooms, dining centers, etc.) or have a temporary halt in trying to get to 35,000 students.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Campus is packed. Figure a few Freshmen will give it up at semester. It's time for the school to get there act together and either expand campus resources (classrooms, dining centers, etc.) or have a temporary halt in trying to get to 35,000 students.
Is 35,000 what the University said it wants to aim for as an annual enrollment?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
The official enrollment count is called the "10th-day" count because it's everyone who's still around and hasn't withdrawn yet on the 10th day of classes. So the university won't even compute their official enrollment until Friday, Sept. 6. I think it will be released to the public the following week.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
The official enrollment count at each Regent university is taken on the 10th day of classes and released by the Board of Regents Office the following day, so you'll hear the official enrollment count on Sept. 11. Unless the University of Iowa gets very creative and counts all the patients in their hospital, they will be the second largest university in Iowa this fall.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
The official enrollment count at each Regent university is taken on the 10th day of classes and released by the Board of Regents Office the following day, so you'll hear the official enrollment count on Sept. 11. Unless the University of Iowa gets very creative and counts all the patients in their hospital, they will be the second largest university in Iowa this fall.

Probably count them for football attendance too

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

They are doing these things to some extent; hiring more faculty (I believe Leath's goal is to hire 200 more faculty members), constructing new buildings (Troxel, ABE complex, Student innovation center and biosciences building in the near future), major remodeling of space in many older buildings (Mckay, lago, Marston, Curtiss, etc), global cafe in Curtiss (new dining option), five food carts across campus (including Battle's bbq), new apartments at Freddy, looking into building a new residence hall (just read it in the daily today). After that more land will likely need to be purchased if further growth is the goal.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
So how big is a campus like Michigan or Texas with 60k students? What does it look/feel like? Have not been to one of them, anyone have any insights?

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
They are doing these things to some extent; hiring more faculty (I believe Leath's goal is to hire 200 more faculty members), constructing new buildings (Troxel, ABE complex, Student innovation center and biosciences building in the near future), major remodeling of space in many older buildings (Mckay, lago, Marston, etc), global cafe in Curtiss (new dining option), five food carts across campus (including Battle's bbq), new apartments at Freddy, looking into building a new residence hall (just read it in the daily today). After that more land will likely need to be purchased if further growth is the goal.

I just hope that's enough. Freddy units are good but they only added a few hundred beds. They need to work towards adding a couple thousand beds.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
they needed to add beds when i was in school with only 25-ish thousand students. my wife works at isu and says its stupid how many people they are letting in, and how stupid some of the are, enrollment standards are really low right now.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I just hope that's enough. Freddy units are good but they only added a few hundred beds. They need to work towards adding a couple thousand beds.

Yea, I agree if growth does continue a new residence hall will be needed (Freddy will only add 720 beds). I think they're just wanting to make sure that growth and the number of people wanting to live on campus continues before they make an investment like that. At least that is what I got out of the article I read, sounded like they would decide within a year whether they will build it or not.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
they needed to add beds when i was in school with only 25-ish thousand students. my wife works at isu and says its stupid how many people they are letting in, and how stupid some of the are, enrollment standards are really low right now.

The standards are pretty much the same they have been in recent history. There was somewhere around 5,000-6,000 (edit: 5,366) freshman admitted last year, and only 300 were below the RAI.

Last edited:

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The standards are comparable to what they've always been. Society however is trending that you HAVE to go to college to be somebody and Iowa State is capitalizing on it. I expect enrollment to continue to climb as they expand into the Far East.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The official enrollment count is called the "10th-day" count because it's everyone who's still around and hasn't withdrawn yet on the 10th day of classes. So the university won't even compute their official enrollment until Friday, Sept. 6. I think it will be released to the public the following week.
Is there something significant with the 10th day of class that everybody waits to provide that info?

HottyToddy

Aug 23, 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
So how big is a campus like Michigan or Texas with 60k students? What does it look/feel like? Have not been to one of them, anyone have any insights?

Iowa State: 32,000 students with around 1,800 acres
Alabama: 33,000 students with 1,970 acres
Florida: 50,000 students with 2,000 acres

So really, we can't complain. I have been to all 3 and Alabama has a very similar feel in size to Iowa State. Florida's buildings are just all packed together, which makes sense based on the numbers.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
#1 Berry College in Georgia has like 28,000 acres.
#2 US Air Force Academy has roughly 18,000 acres.
#3 US Military Academy has close to 17,000 acres.
#4 Paul Smith's College in NY has 15,000 acres.
#5 Deep Springs College has 10,000 acres
#6 University of the South (Sewanee) has 10,000 acres
#7 Stanford University has 8,800 acres
#8 Duke University has about 8,500 acres
#9 New Mexico State University has over 6,000 acres.
#10 Penn State has 6,000 acres.

Michigan State 5200 acres
Texas A&M 5200 acres
Purdue 2468 acres

Other huge campuses (over 3,000 acres) include CPSLO, Michigan, Tuskegee, UC-Davis.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Is there something significant with the 10th day of class that everybody waits to provide that info?

I think it's just the arbitrary date selected that's used for official enrollment purposes, probably via the Board of Regents or something. Meant to get a true picture of the size of the student body, after waiting to see who the no-shows and the early dropouts are.

I miscounted earlier because I forgot about Labor Day, so the 10th day of classes is Monday the 9th. Assuming the earlier post about the Regents releasing the count to the public the day after is correct, we should have official word on the Tuesday, Sept. 10.