Rumor going around in StL

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
If we don't have those resources, should we really expect what you're demanding? Is that realistic anymore?

We finished behind:

Virginia Tech
Binghamton
Endinboro
Clarion
American
Wyoming
App State
Harvard
Penn
Ohio
UNI(!)

I'm asking that we be better than those teams. Especially in year 3. Our coach should not be putting a worse team on the mat every year. We should not finish 35th.

That's what I'm asking.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
How many D1 wrestling programs are there?

We finished behind:

Virginia Tech
Binghamton
Endinboro
Clarion
American
Wyoming
App State
Harvard
Penn
Ohio
UNI(!)

I'm asking that we be better than those teams. Especially in year 3. Our coach should not be putting a worse team on the mat every year. We should not finish 35th.

That's what I'm asking.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
If you love your university, you shouldn't need to be fawned over. I don't feel sorry for Cael. If he legitimately wanted to be here and loved Iowa State University like most of us here do, he would be here and nothing that Pollard did or did not do would have impacted that.

I love Iowa State. And if I had the ability to coach a team at our beloved university, you'd have to punch me in the face, underpay me, and tell me I'm worthless scum each day for me to screw over the cardinal and gold and bail like Cael did.

Cael and Pollard may have had a contentious relationship. Get over it, like most of us do on a daily basis in our real-world jobs.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
he's had 3 classes to restock the program

You're so full of ****, your eyes must be brown.

He was hired AFTER the 2009-10 class had been signed. Taylor went with Cael. Macchiaroli went to ASU. Weatherman stayed. Beard stayed, left, and came back. He also lost Cyler (transfer) before 09-10, and Long (knucklehead) after 09-10.

The 2010-11 class is this year's true soph/RS frosh.
The 2011-12 class is this year's true frosh.

There were SIX juniors/seniors on the roster this year: Simonson (INJ), Ward (INJ), Spangler (INJ), Mayfield (INJ), Gibson (Juco) and Sorenson.

The 2012-13 class is still in high school.

That is called building from scratch.

What a surprise, no rebuttal yet from the resident expert.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I agree for our lightweights - which is why I think we desperatlely need to get a new lightweight coach and/or a lighter senior guy. But a guy like Sorenson progressed nicely. As far as proggression of the team as a while I just don't think we can make that call until next year. If Pollard does decide to pull the plug I will support the new coach, and given the pieces in place now any coach, including Jackson, will do better next year by default. But if nothing else the likely loss of Meeks and McCauley if Jackson isn't given another year is by itself sufficent reason for another season. We can't afford to throw away blue chips like that.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I agree for our lightweights - which is why I think we desperatlely need to get a new lightweight coach and/or a lighter senior guy. But a guy like Sorenson progressed nicely. As far as proggression of the team as a while I just don't think we can make that call until next year. If Pollard does decide to pull the plug I will support the new coach, and given the pieces in place now any coach, including Jackson, will do better next year by default. But if nothing else the likely loss of Meeks and McCauley if Jackson isn't given another year is by itself sufficent reason for another season. We can't afford to throw away blue chips like that.

Why do you think a respected coach like Heskett or another big name couldn't keep those 2? I think proximity was a big factor with Meeks, and McCauley was likely given a lot of money to come here. I think the right coach could keep the team intact.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
The part that worries me is what coach out there would come here and be able to make a sudden impact or be able to get us back to the top. I would support whatever decision our AD goes with but just not sure that firing KJ right now is the right move. I think in doing that, your only setting the team back even farther. This decision is a gamble either way ya look at it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The part that worries me is what coach out there would come here and be able to make a sudden impact or be able to get us back to the top

Based on previous coaching changes in wrestling, it would have to be someone who has already signed a couple of elite kids and can drag them along to the new school.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Heard again today that Jackson is likely done at ISU. The person I talked to didn't know anything about the Heskett rumor.

Are you guys proud I didn't start another thread? ;-)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Heard again today that Jackson is likely done at ISU. The person I talked to didn't know anything about the Heskett rumor.

Are you guys proud I didn't start another thread? ;-)

So you thought about starting a thread about an unconfirmed source not hearing a rumor. Aren't you about down to the handle of that axe by now.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Heard again today that Jackson is likely done at ISU. The person I talked to didn't know anything about the Heskett rumor. Are you guys proud I didn't start another thread? ;-)
If that is the case they need to get Gibbons imo. I dont think heskett is the way to go right now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say this about ISU coaching rumors. If there is one thing we should all know about Pollard - when it comes to coaching moves especially - he makes sure NO ONE knows what he is going to do until he does it.

These rumors are all just a bunch of speculation...

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I didn't read this whole thread, but I will say this about ISU coaching rumors. If there is one thing we should all know about Pollard - when it comes to coaching moves especially - he makes sure NO ONE knows what he is going to do until he does it.

These rumors are all just a bunch of speculation...

Excellent point Velo. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe a change was coming if I wasn't hearing anything. These rumors that are being floated out there are nothing more than people trying to put legs underneath their wishes.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
KJ is not winning. And the prospect for the future is not very good at all. We see all kinds of freshmen and sophomores doing well in St. Loius - and none of them are wearing our singlet. What else do we need to know. Something needs to change, and whatever the rumors are, if KJ has not taken serious action to correct coaching, recruiting (quality and depth) and conditioning issues, then I am not sure he deserves to stay here.

We have a decent recruiting class coming in. I am excited about that. But Penn State, Iowa, Okie State and Cornell have not been standing still either - we have "held our own" at best.
This is better than NEICyFAn's "analysis" (good then + bad now = KJ must go followed by some inaudible grunts) but you have to put everything in the context of who you can get to replace KJ.

Not to pick on you, Psyclone, I am talking to others in the thread. But no one has convinced me that we're better off with Heskett or Perry or Brad Smith, for that matter. Maybe we are, but people are just guessing in this thread. Randall from Boise was the hot name a few years ago and they fell off the map this year. Wrestling is cyclical, even for Iowa and Minnesota. "Hey Joe Heskett, seems like he would be good!" That's no way to run the railroad and I'm sure Pollard isn't going to make a change for the sake of change. If he's confident he can find someone who will do a substantially better job, he should pull the trigger. If not, he will get behind KJ, as he should.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I love these replies. If you can't handle a little rumor mill why the heck are you on a sports message board?

Don't get your panties in such a wad. Take a rumor or leave it. It doesn't matter one bit to me. The Internet is serious business to you guys.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Excellent point Velo. I'd be a lot more inclined to believe a change was coming if I wasn't hearing anything. These rumors that are being floated out there are nothing more than people trying to put legs underneath their wishes.

But the OP heard it from an unconfirmed source, it has to be true.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Also hearing Cozart is leaving the program (no big loss) and Caldwell isn't coming to ISU.